Friday, May 1, 2020

And Onto May

 Well, the good news is that April is behind us - hopefully, May will be a better month for all.  This week:

- I planted calibrachoa(like a trailing mini petunia) in my two pots that I brought back in my luggage from Cordoba, Spain in 2016.  They don't have a huge root base so work well in these small planters.  I hope to find some more of these plants as they would work well in my big clay pots.  Although the nurseries are open they seem to be picked over or have some of this but none of that.  I hope to get all of my plants potted up this week except the tomatoes, those are still a bit little.  I have  planted one pot of cucumbers (5 to a pot) outside but kept a few back in case they decide it was too early.  I'll plant the rest of the cucumbers mid-May.  I've also started some dill seeds as well as spinach.


- I am trying to do something productive every single day (besides work).  This week I sewed 2 more facemasks that look way better than the originals - hubby is now willing to wear his Johnny Cash "man in black" mask versus the white T-shirt face diaper I made him 2 weeks ago.  I will not win any sewing contests but at least we have them.  It appears Costco USA is rolling out a requirement for customers and staff to wear facemasks starting Monday, Canada will soon follow I am sure.  We were there a few days ago and the staff had masks - this was a change from 2 weeks ago when I was one of the only ones wearing a mask in the building.  I wish all stores would do this.

- We celebrated our 17th "day of love" meaning the first day we met on Thursday.  We don't normally do presents or cards but hubby surprised me and bought a pretty new glass hummingbird feeder.  Now I can retire our bleached out plastic one for winter when it sometimes freezes and we need 2 going as the hummingbirds stay here year round.

- It has been raining here a lot this week.  The good thing about that is the new grass where we tore up our yard mid-March is growing in nicely.

- Mom and I went for another long walk this week during a break in the rain.  It was good for both of us.

- They say we in Canada will see 2 shortages soon.  Again, toilet paper (finally we just have it restocked on our shelves) due to a winter strike by our forestry workers, now resolved but there isn't enough raw material, and then due to stockpiling by people.  The other shortage will be meat as some of our meatpacking plants have been shut down due to Covid.  I am happy they shut those places down, every business has a responsibility to their workers and the public to ensure safety for all and it is clear now not everyone was doing that.  This won't mean we will run out of food but prices will be much higher.  I did score 4 kg of skinless boneless chicken breast (my normal box) for $5 off the regular price this week so call that a victory as it seems deals are few and far between right now.  We will also be eating less meat per meal so more casseroles and soups which we both like anyway.

- I hope to file our taxes this weekend.  Today was the original due date to file but it has now been extended until June.  I would just like to get it out of our hair.  They are done, I just need to go over them to make sure everything is ok then file with Turbotax.  I get a few dollars back and hubby pays about the same amount of dollars.  I would have filed earlier had we gotten a big refund.

- BC has very few new cases of the virus each day now.  It is likely in a few weeks some restrictions will start to be lifted.  Other Provinces have more cases yet are easing restrictions.  Most of this is due to financial pressure but to each Province is in a different situation.  If you are worried about losing your business and house, sometimes you are willing to risk getting sick over it.  It is hard to judge.  Everyone, no matter what the restrictions are, need to be more careful for themselves, their loved ones, and the general public from here on out.  Our new normal will be ever-changing for the next year or so - and we are all going to have to roll with it.  We will probably continue to be overly-careful for many months to come, regardless of what we are and aren't permitted to do.

That's all I've got for today.  I actually have to do a company billing which is a wonderful thing, each and every one of those this year is so bloody important.  Have a good weekend everyone.

24 comments:

  1. Oh I love that hummingbird feeder. Darn it, I was at the garden centre this week and forgot to look for one! And you're right, the pressure on some people to go back to work because of financial constraints is hard isn't it. I had heard that some meat processing plants had shut down in the US but didn't hear about Canada. It wouldn't bother me because I could live without meat but then again it's all those jobs that are on the line too isn't it. These are indeed very difficult times and the new normal will be very different from what we were used to I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Canada we don't have that butt munch saying they must stay open, much saner here. They are closed for now until all staff tests negative and until the entire facility can be properly sanitized. It was clear it was 2 processing plants in our Province owned by the same company that were breaking rules. Obviously other meat packing plants here have taken it much more seriously

      Delete
  2. I am glad your province is erring on the side of caution. Our state opened yesterday and our infection rates were not yet declining. Smart move huh?
    I love your planters. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each Province is up to it's health people to decide so I am so glad the one in charge of our Province is so competent, people love her (she has a twitter following of over 10,000, such a kind empathetic woman, she also has helped with other pandemics in other countries so knows her stuff)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your 17th Day of Love and that romantic red hummingbird feeder. I like the two colorful pots you have; before the pandemic I had my local garden store put me on a wait list for their next shipment from Mexico for a similar style painted pot, but that didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mexican pots too, most of my other pots are just clay though. I have a lot of Mexican pottery inside :)

      Delete
  4. The pots look beautiful. Sweet memories of an incredible city. And oh how I miss hummingbirds. Our California cats were afraid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They regularly buzz Buddy but they are so super fast I am not sure he even knows what went by. They like to fly right up to me to make sure I am filling and not removing the feeders, like little guard dogs.

      Delete
  5. I love the pots, and the calibrachoa will be so pretty! I noticed our local Walmart has opened it's garden center but it's too early here. I have no desire to drag plants in and out of the garage until it is time to plant.

    Congrats on your 17th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely early there. I remember in Edmonton you really couldn't plant anything until after May long weekend as it usually snowed then

      Delete
  6. We are so fortunate to live in BC - Dr. Henry - has kept things real - daily facts are shared by her on cbc.ca and her daily update ends with "be kind, be calm, keep safe". Positive, factual and shared with empathy.
    So nice that you and your Mom are now going for your keep-distance walks.
    Garden work has become an important part of each day, something to plan, do work on, to get us outside and - lots of photo opportunities too.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is truly a wonderful woman, bit of a saint really for doing what she does day after day, like so many other healthcare professionals. The best part is her demeaner. She can tell bad news as it is but give you hope still. Whoever hired her did right

      Delete
  7. The feeder is beautiful! What a nice present! That's interesting to hear about the shortages (not NICE interesting but I've not heard specific reasons like that before - before it seemed just stockpiling)
    I'd love to see some hummingbird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our toilet paper factories here are working 24 hours a day but it seems like most stores have toilet paper again.

      Delete
  8. Saskatchewan is being bombarded with cases right now. Mostly in the far north and in Lethbridge. We have had no cases at all in the Regina, Central or Southern areas in quite awhile.

    Oh, I do love calibrachoa and those pots are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. It does seem premature to reopen all of Saskatchewan when there are still large pockets but whatever will be will be at this point.

      Delete
  9. Those planters are lovely as is that pretty hummingbird feeder, happy anniversary to you both!
    Good to hear that your province is being cautious with regards to the lockdown. I really hope our goverment don't allow themeselves to be bullied into listening to their corporate sponsors and put the natation's health before money. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only good thing about Boris getting the virus is that previously he wasn't taking things seriously enough, now he knows how dire things can get - hopefully that will resonate and cause more caution

      Delete
  10. Lovely hummer feeder, you have a very thoughtful hubby. I am concerned about the various provinces opening up too early. Not sure how much I will venture out anymore that I am doing. Of course I need my hair done but wonder how the salon will be sanitized between clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubby might be doing your hair for a while. Hubby had a "episode" with our trimmer and now has a special racing stripe the side of his head, looks ok head on for his video conferencing but he needs to wear a hat when he goes out. I likely can fix it in a week or two :)

      Delete
  11. they look really lovely planted up! I'm enjoying seeing spring gardens as we head into winter downunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to remember that it is fall there. At least your winter is that brutal. I love fall actually, all the lovely leaves.

      Delete
  12. I am in the same state as Anne, and it is scary what might happen now with things opening up. I have plans to eat less meat from now on. I have plenty of tp, but I am going to switch to wash cloths from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is ok if all of us eat less meat, I think we actually eat too much to begin with

      Delete