Friday, April 3, 2020

Things Are Blooming


Here are a few shots of things in bloom from our walks this week.  Some of the trees are just starting to bloom.  Definitely allergy season.  It affects hubby a lot and me a little.  I stocked up several weeks ago on allergy meds so we are good.


 This massive rose bush below is growing at least 2 feet over the fence.  Strange because other rose bushes in the neighborhood are not yet in bloom - what are they using as fertilizer?  Enquiring minds want to know.
 On the wooded path where we walk Buddy the Skunk cabbage is in bloom.  It likes dark swampy areas.  And yes, it smells like skunks.

 We dug out the old hamster cage table (rest in peace Chewy, Brown Mouse, Mariska and Natasha) and it now holds all the seeds I've started.  This is the corner of our living room.  Hubby's weights and our gigantic telescope are also fixtures.

I have a feeling when it warms up that telescope is going to get a lot of action.  It is massive and you can see the small dips in individual craters on the moon with it.  What do 2 nerds get each other for their birthdays last year?  A gigantic telescope!  The guitars are still in the living room, just been moved around.  And yes, hubby's work out bench is out although when we watch TV we tuck it by the plant table.  Since there is little possibility of us having friends or family over for a long time we have made our house more useable and friendly so that we can still live our life.  




Yard work, painting and changing the tires on our car are all on the agenda this weekend.  I am finding it suddenly difficult to get motivated to do anything.  I did make a cherry cobbler with recently expired cherry pie filling (was Mom's and I tasted it first) and a bit of frozen rhubarb from a friend from last summer last night and it was yummy.  I made one for Mom too and we will deliver it this afternoon as hubby hasn't been out of the house in 6 days and is going crazy.  I went out yesterday to get some fresh veggies and help Mom with her shower  (*from the driveway in case she falls she knows I am there).

We have our 17th anniversary of the day we met coming up in a few weeks and my hubby has never ever gone so long without leaving he house - maybe 3 days max before.  And walks don't really count.  So we are taking a wee drive somewhere as soon as he is done a web conference meeting he's on.

If you don't want to hear ranting then this is where you should stop reading...












I woke up to find out that a country that is supposed to be our ally is asking 3M not to sell Canada N95 masks today.  There is a special place in hell for a man called Trump.  3M is pushing back.  Good to remember when all of this is over and done.  I am so f***** incredibly angry today.  Tonight might be the night to break out the spiced rum.

24 comments:

  1. Isn't it great that nature has no idea how much the world has slowed down and stopped. No need to worry about your rant on my part, living with it all right now is almost worse that the virus itself. We should all be pulling together in my opinion. Our telescope is all alone up at the cabin, it'll have to wait quite a long time before we can get back and give it a whirl out on the brand new deck we've barely had the opportunity to walk on. Stay well. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, one would hope that countries work together to get through this. 3M is giving him what for but I am not sure what will come of it. Unbelievable really

      Delete
  2. I am also so very angry about this. Does the man not realize that the necessary pulp for these comes from a factory in Canada!! Research, please research, something he does not do. 3M is pushing back though which is a good thing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that, he is such an idiot. I think we will be ok if everyone does their part. I am sewing up face masks for us to try use when we are out, my little part in this.

      Delete
  3. Oh I am sometimes embarrassed to be an American! I try to stop myself from criticizing him on my blog, but he is such a scourge! Of course, being on the border, I am very sensitive to the needs of your people. I envy you your government and social structure. Sorry our leader is such a douche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was born there so am fully aware. It just doesn't make sense, makes far more sense to try and assist each other. We will be fine, Canadians are a tough bunch - but we won't forget it.

      Delete
    2. I think you should line up as many people as possible at the border and all hang him a moon!

      Delete
  4. You might as well have your house easily usable. I love the telescope! Oh, rant on. I cannot stand Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such an idiot. The 2 countries should be working together, resources of both. His true character continues to show

      Delete
  5. SO difficult to not be furious. But then I looked at your beautiful photos a second time and gave myself another moment of tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, flowers are lovely. What the USA doesn't realize is that Canada supplies a lot to them. One of the companies we deal with was just asked to supply a certain item to hospitals in the US - he is such a freaking nutjob he never thought of that

      Delete
  6. I did not see that particular news story. I was angry yesterday because the top story was that the CDC was going to have people start wearing face masks. Last week, some guy on Twitter posted that this was going to happen and I shared it on Facebook. I got a notice from FB that my post was flagged for false information. And here we are. Argh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they only just started saying here (due to the CDC story) that we should wear masks, before now it was "unnecessary". I wish they would err on the side of caution instead of what has been happening

      Delete
  7. We were only saying this morning that it won't be too long before we won't be able to see out of our bedroom window, the bare branches of next door's lime tree are already showing green shoots.
    You're allowed to go out for a drive? I forget that you're a couple of weeks behind us. We've got road blocks - only necessary journeys now.
    Stay safe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on a sort of semi-lockdown. Lots of takeout places open, liquor(all separate from food here) stores, cannabis stores, hardware stores all still open. We can drive. Legally there is nothing they can do to you - but most people are like us, just trying to get by day to day without leaving the house. We drove to the Marina and it was wonderful - what we needed.

      Delete
  8. I've made my home user-friendly too. I live alone so it doesn't really matter if things aren't put away does it. And your telescope sounds wonderful. Giving me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed to the weights back around March 10th because I did not want hubby to go to the gym as he is high risk with asthma - we just keep adjusting things as we go. Big telescopes need a flat surface to work on, our old patio wasn't big enough but our new patio is perfect for it. Now we just have to do more star gazing.

      Delete
  9. Your pictures with the blooming things are lovely. I have never seen skunk cabbage, and hope I never do!
    I think everyone is making their homes user friendly to them. I have a bench at the front door that now houses, lysol and paper towels, and a waste can since we are taking our shoes off to clean the bottoms before entering the . New day, different rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we now have lysol wipes in our vehicles....never thought that would be a necessity

      Delete
  10. Ah...spring! We'll be a few weeks yet before we see it here so it's lovely to see the photos of the trees in bloom.

    Sadly, 45 and his minions are not particularly bright. We could retaliate by refusing to provide the material from the pulp mill but that would be wrong. I can only hope that some of the voters in the US begin to realize what a narcissus he is, and that he could care less about anyone else but himself.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did snow rain here yesterday morning, super weird for April but then the sun came out and it is supposed to be 16 degrees later in the week - yay! Yes, I heard that about the pulp, what an idiot, if the 2 countries worked together it would be so much easier on both

      Delete
  11. its lovely being out walking isn't it, nice to see your pictures, we're just entering Autumn here & all the leaves are changing. Love the telescope - that would be so much fun! Trump just leaves me speechless - every time I think he can't get any worse he proves me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jan, you are right about Mr T. Walking is what saves us and my dog is pretty darn happy too!

      Delete
  12. I am so upset with the US re the masks and many other things, I wish we did not have to driverthru the US enroute to Mexico. I love your seedling table, perfect set up. A friend here planted peas today and also her cucumber seedling which I think is too soon as we are going down to -3C tonight. Maybe you can do something decadent for your anniversary like go thru a take out and get an ice cream or ??

    ReplyDelete