Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Bubblegum? Eew


I am still on my quest to use up travel size items that I started back in January.  Even more important now.  I didn't realize when I got this free sample from my dentist's office it was kids toothpaste.  Bubblegum flavor - yuck.  Oh well, I need to use it and will not waste it.




I've only finished 4 books this year.  Most of the time I read that in a few weeks.  I haven't felt like reading much lately but picked up Eleven Days last night and finally got back into reading.  The Peter May book is good, I've read the previous 2 in this series.  Just have to get back into it.  I read at least 2 books at a time, that way if there is a slow part I can switch.  I still have about 10 books in the closet to read so am good for reading material for a while.

I planted my pea, tomato and cucumber seeds on the 24th.  Yesterday I saw the first green sprouts - the pea plants have sprouted.  They are doing so well I now want to sprout the rest as had held back some to plant directly in the ground.  Later today we will pull up a little table from the crawlspace and I will position it in the living room under the window as a growing station as if I am going to plant more I need more room than the dining room table provides.  Today there is one tiny tomato plant that has just sprouted - woohoo!  Silly to get so much happiness when your seeds sprout but I will take my cheap thrills as I get them now.

I just walked over to see Mom - she only lives about 3 blocks away.  I took her a piece of salmon and she gave me an extra cucumber.  Buddy was so happy to see Grandma, he does love her.  She is sick of not going anywhere but is safe and sound and knows this is what it takes.  Since she can't have her cleaning lady in she is slowly doing those chores around the house. 

My tooth is acting up again.  It abscessed but I am now taking the prescription of antibiotics that I got from my regular Dr.  The Dentist is still shut except for absolute emergencies.  I am in no pain though so that is good and hopefully the antibiotics work.  Otherwise I will try the emergency line.

My stepson #3 who is a 3rd year commercial plumber has been exposed to Covid on his jobsite.  He was working directly along side an electrician who has tested positive but that guy was a subcontractor and has not been on his worksite for 11 days so likely my stepson is ok - we shall see in a couple of days.  A lot of their worksites are being shut down so every day he goes to work expecting to get laid off, a very weird feeling. 

Anyway, the sun is shining and we are healthy for another day so life is pretty good.  Stay safe everyone!

26 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts to your step son. I'm sure it's scary, even though the exposure was a bit ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it freaked him out a little. He is 24 but has taken this seriously from the start unlike many others his age.

      Delete
  2. I, too, get excited over seeds sprouting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful to get excited about sprouts. I will start my seeds! Good hope for your step son, on both staying healthy and that he keeps working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seed starting really is a positive thing, you have to have something to look forward to!

      Delete
  4. Holding good thoughts for your stepson... and for your mother. I hate to waste free samples myself, but bubblegum toothpaste is going above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like I am taking a bullet for the team by using it

      Delete
  5. I hope your stepson is okay.

    How wonderful that your seeds have already sprouted.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, we are hoping he is ok as well, he really as little exposure otherwise except his coworkers

      Delete
  6. I had one of the bubblegum variety that I got from my dentist on mistake. I just grabbed the wrong tube on the way out. It was okay, but I do prefer a mint flavour for a fresh feeling mouth. I've had lots of success planting beans and peas directly in the ground. The peas tend to sprout faster than the beans for me. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked - so happy. Last year was the first year I grew peas and I bought starters at the greenhouse as it was an afterthought, not really intentional. From here on out I will start those myself. I don't love the bubblegum flavor but hubby wouldn't use it so I must

      Delete
  7. I am not starting seeds in pots but will sow them directly in the ground in the next week. I am still undecided about tomatoes (aka chipmunk food) but if I decide to fight the critters and plant them anyway I will buy potted ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may see the chipmunks as entertainment this year (just saying :)). Our ground is still cold as it is almost zero every night so I will wait a few weeks to get these plants in the ground. It seems cooler this year than others

      Delete
  8. Getting excited is good for you! We are the same way! Louis Dean has been starting his plants by seeds and tomorrow we will be planting them. We are excited!!
    That's scary about your step son.Saying a prayer he will not come down with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually if you get symptoms they are sooner than 11 days so we are hopeful that he didn't get it. Just a couple more days and he's in the clear

      Delete
  9. I'm excited about those green shoots! I noticed that our apple tree has sprouted a few more when I took the tortoise out this morning, yay!
    Are you still allowed to visit family in Canada? We've been banned from doing that for a few weeks now.
    Hope that tooth behaves itself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we're not supposed to go inside and visit family. We just spoke to each other in the yard 10 feet away. I did let Buddy go hug her though, he's no threat. And technically I am the bringer of all things food so I am allowed :)

      Delete
  10. I've just got my third sunflower poking its head up on my living room table and am stupidly thrilled. I hope your tooth doesn't start playing up again though. You can do without that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never grown sunflowers but they are lovely, I just have no where to grow them as they get so big here. Yes, just one more thing to worry about.

      Delete
  11. I love to see the green shoots, though I've never had any luck with them myself. They tend to get leggy and die.

    Glad your mom is doing well. Hopefully the antibiotics take care of the tooth issue.

    Sending positive thoughts for your stepson, both as it relates to Covid as well as his job.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I grew some cucumbers from seed last year but didn't start them early enough and the plants remained small so I ended up buying plants.

      Delete
  12. I have a good friend who is a dentist -- actually a researcher and professor. Surgical things like root canals are her specialty. She believes that many are unnecessary. Along with antibiotics there is now some sort of material that they pack into the root which has been successful -- but I'm not sure if that is approved/on the market yet.

    I hope the antibiotics help as you don't want to risk losing a tooth as a result of this pandemic. And I also think bubble gum toothpaste is gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't consider a root canal but this tooth has been giving me so many issues. Supposedly the roots are now dead but I don't understand why it ulcered. Really glad I don't have pain though

      Delete
  13. You are correct it has been cooler this year, March set a 'cool' record for here in Kelowna. I needed to read this post to give me the kick in the butt Indeed to get our seeds started. We brought some back with us incase we could not get any here, three weeks ago we had no idea what to buy or not buy so we bought the seeds. Certainly not wasted seeds. We packed up so fast when we left Mexico that I left my seed packages there. Nice to see your seeds sprouting but I can do without the bubblegum toothpaste :)

    You might want to give the dental phone number a call as it might be more serious than you know. I once had an abscess and no pain and it ended up eating up though my cheek bone and I needed repair surgery. A phone call can't hurt. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, it drives me bananas that it's only halfway done - I am being super careful, have been taking antibiotics and rinsing in amosan, hopefully there will be resolution soon.

      Delete