Friday, March 27, 2020

Zero Food Waste Edition

 Hubby goes through a lot of pickles.  In most Ukrainian families pickles are a staple so back in January I had bought a huge jar which he finished off this morning.  I had 2.5 cucumbers in the fridge so decided to take one and use the leftover pickle juice and some new garlic to make some refrigerator pickles.  They will be ready to eat in a day or two.  They are not exactly like regular pickles but since they are much cheaper and I am aiming for zero food waste this was a great way to use up the pickle brine and make sure the cucumbers were used.

 I have also started to cook just a little bit less.  This seems to be the magic answer to zero food waste and hubby has been more flexible with what he has for lunch now to ensure we are not throwing anything out yet have a good variety of things to eat.  Funny how food has become so precious again so fast. We were pretty good at not wasting food before, but now I am closely monitoring what and where things are in the fridge.  Meals will be built around that.

I said I would share with you photos of our new patio furniture.  We bought it back in mid-January as the store was having an early bird 50% off sale.  It is wonderful and we see many hours spent back there as soon as it warms up a little bit.  The table in the middle is also a fire table although we also intend to eat suppers out there.  It has a propane tank underneath and the fire comes up through beautiful glass in the middle.  Our neighbor has one and we went to her house last September and both of us immediately wanted one.  The picture of the umbrella is lousy but it is massive and can be moved over to the other area of the patio that is meant in future for 2 chaise loungers - at this point likely to be purchased later in summer or next year depending on finances.




Yesterday I had to go pick up our online order of groceries, went to the bank and the post office as well for our business.  All 3 were rather strange experiences.

Hubby did the post office.  The worker there actually joked about having a cold.  In this day and age is that appropriate?  Idiot.  There are no guarantees on shipping right now, even if you pay more.  Soon there will be no out of country mail, that is in the works already.

I deposited our corporate checks at the bank.  There was a line up for the instant teller.  For the actual bank they had the doors closed with a narrow passageway for people to go in and out and a worker at the front limiting it to 2 people in the entire bank at one time.  There were ropes up in front of the tellers so you couldn't get too close.  You had to stretch out so they could reach your deposit book.  Anyway, at least the bank is still open at our location.

Next up was our Superstore online order.  I believe I booked our timeslot about 5 days out.  I was able to add items to my cart right up until the night before delivery day.  I got a text an hour ahead indicating I was to come to the store and park in one of the pickup reserved spots and then there was a phone number to call once we were parked.  I called, he confirmed substitutions and then brought out the cart.  Of two households worth of products 8 items were not available.  Nothing we can't live without.  I definitely would use the service again.  I saw a huge line of people waiting to get into the store with their carts as they are really limiting the number of shoppers in the store at one time.  All grocery stores have had to hire additional security to enforce crowd size.

That was our final grocery shop likely for 3-4 weeks.  It is the cheapest place to get most items which is why it is so popular.  There is a much smaller grocery store near my house which has a good selection and much smaller crowds but higher prices.  I will go there when we just need a couple of items like bread, milk, eggs and produce.

One OTC item that can only be bought in a pharmacy I need for hubby has been out at the last 3 stores so tomorrow I am going pharmacy to pharmacy to try and find him some.  Unfortunately this is the way of the new world.  If I find any of the other missing items on my list at the same time I will pick those up.  We are stocked up on everything else in the mean time.

Late Wednesday we drove down to the ocean for a breather.  I got out for a few minutes but there were so many cars there trying to do the same thing, most people stayed in their cars to keep the distance.  We didn't spend very long there but I did take a couple of photos which I will share in my next post.  Simple pleasures like going to the ocean are more difficult now since most parks have been closed.

Tonight I am making pizza from scratch for supper.  I don't usually have the hour and a half it takes but now I do.  That's what is shaking in our world.  Be safe everyone!

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about the pickles. I haven't done that in a long time. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay safe as well. It was a good experiment and fortunately already they are wonderful and have the hubby stamp of approval

      Delete
  2. Sending good thoughts to you & your family. We are also trying to reduce food waste & ensure we are planing & staying on top of all of our options in the pantry, fridge & freezer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes difficult when there is only enough left for one person of an item but those nights will be reserved for when hubby has fish as I don't like it so I will have something else.

      Delete
  3. oh it would be lovely to go sit at the ocean! the furniture looks good, a nice spot to sit outside while staying at isolating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wanted to spend more time there but so many cars so we left. I wish we had a secret beach to go to. We are still allowed to travel around by car so we may have to go hunting

      Delete
  4. Love the new patio furniture, especially the fire table! That will be a great place to relax in the evenings with your dinner.

    I haven't yet ventured out for 10 days but I need to go tomorrow to pick up a few items. It will be interesting to see what is available and what is not.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most produce is available but I wonder for how long, likely we will lose most of our imported produce. I am not worried about basics though, fortunately Canada produces a lot of food that we can support local farmers

      Delete
  5. I love that patio table - it all looks very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now it just has to warm up so we can use it!

      Delete
  6. If you heat the pickling brine, pour it in the jar and then put the slices in they will absorb more of the pickle flavor, but may be a little softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I had read that online but decided to just throw them in. Turns out hubby loves his pickles on the crunchier side and tasted them about 3 hours after I put them in the jar. He liked them so much he added another half cucumber and more garlic :)

      Delete
  7. Mmm, Id like those cucumber pickles. Your patio and furniture is so pretty. I'm inspired for when we'll be able to do ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still kind of early to sit out there as dropped to just below freezing this week but - in a few weeks we will be able to enjoy it the second it warms up.

      Delete
  8. Yes, even us lifelong thrifty types are now even more aware of food wastage. I've been bagging up and freezing cauliflower and broccoli stalks to make into soup when the bag is full.
    The patio looks fabulous, I've never seen one of those tables before, how clever. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very smart on the cauliflower and broccoli stalks. I feel the need to get even more seeds now, full bore ahead on gardening this year. It makes me sad I got rid of a few pots last year when I was purging (plastic ones) but thankfully I have collected a good amount of clay ones and will grow more food and less flowers this year

      Delete
  9. I just heard today that our local farm market is open and stocked. I thought we might take a ride there. I used to make cold mustard pickles. Now you have me thinking of making them again. They are so good! Your patio furniture is gorgeous! And the fire table will be so lovely on cool evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours opens in May but they are making Facebook posts and I am sure they will have loads of patrons this year. It is always busy there so they have to figure out a way to make it safe for people. Thank goodness for the farmers.

      Delete
  10. We fell in love with our brother-in-laws fire table. Looking for a good sale and one that is a suitable size for our deck.

    Managing food waste is very important right now.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire tables are lovely. Ours is a little larger than normal but we also wanted to be able to eat from it. We don't entertain large meals normally outside, just the two of us (especially now) so I am glad we bought this size. Yes, and being more self-sufficent along with avoiding food waste. I am thinking of making another order of seeds to grow more things than I already have started

      Delete
  11. I did your pickle trick with a very large crop of jalapeños. I made a length wise slice is each one so they would sink. They look great! But I have no idea what to do with them or how to use them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickled jalapenos are great on natchos :) Good idea! I know you aren't traveling right now but you two should start blogging again!

      Delete
  12. We tend to be shamefully very wasteful. But have really changed our habits during lockdown and plan to keep things this way. I love the idea of using the pickle brine and remains from the jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's face it, everyone has become more wasteful as a society because we had "plenty" which has now suddenly changed. I don't think that's a bad thing, it makes us all more appreciative of what we have including friends and family, and even things

      Delete
  13. I felt so bad this morning when I discovered mold on the last of my hotdog buns. I left them out of the fridge to stay soft but that was a mistake. Lesson learned. I think the bread lasts longer because of more preservatives, both a good and bad thing rolled into one. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice new patio and furniture. You will enjoy your patio for many years to come.

    I just found out that the earliest time slot to pick up food at Superstore or even Save On is two weeks away. Good to know that I can keep adding to my basket as I have no idea what I need two weeks out.

    ReplyDelete