Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A Good Day

Green Gold
 Yesterday we actually had a good day.  Is that even possible in this weird time?  Apparently it is.  I am carefully watering and caring for our pink petunia and purple calibrachoa starters that my friend got me from the greenhouse that closed.  I will share half of this with Mom but won't take them over until they are ready to plant.  And yes, those are casserole dishes being put to good use as water catchers underneath the flowers and seedlings.  I had bought those little peat seedling starters a couple years ago, didn't quite have enough so used a plastic container that previously held fruit for a couple pea starters.  It acts as a mini greenhouse.  These will all live on the end of our dining room table until time to plant.  It is next to the patio doors so gets good sunshine.  In case the pea plants fail I held back a couple of peas to plant directly in the ground once our frosts are done.

Hopefully soon to be sugar pea, cucumber and tomato seedlings
 Why was it a good day?  We actually got a new contract signed.  With our original client from 8.5 years ago.  It is small but will help pay the bills in what is a super challenging year.  I am so thankful we do have many months of salary tucked away in company savings as had been careful after last year's turbulence.  So that will keep us a bit busy the next few weeks.  We have also decided any of our clients who need some help but no billing in this timeframe will get it from us.  We also got 3 corporate cheques that we have been waiting for in the mail.  Thursday we have to go pick up our grocery order so we will also go to the bank that day.  Some banks are closed but at least 1 branch from each bank is open in each town. 

Tomorrow would have been the day we were to fly off to Mexico.  Instead of whining about it I am sharing some things I bought on our last trip.  These beautiful pottery mexican lamps are 2 pieces and you place a candle underneath.  When lit they give off the most beautiful patterns and as I have a thing for Mexican pottery, especially blue and white, they were a no brainer. 

There is a back story to how I bought them.  We were in a an open air restaurant and a teenage girl came in selling items to the table.  This is very common in Mexico.  She didn't have exactly what I wanted when I asked if she had any blue ones she immediately offered to go get some.  20 minutes later she came back and offered me these.  I bought both and she was supremely happy.  I might have had a couple of margaritas at that point and likely overpaid but to her family that money was worth far more than to me.  I can't actually remember what I paid but about $10-15 CAD per.  Right now they live in our bedroom on our dresser.



Mexican lamps

When I got home from Zihuatanejo last year what should I see on our bidding site but the beautiful orange Mexican lamp that is on the center of the table below for $3 so I snapped that one up too.  It lives outside on the patio. This is our older patio furniture that we got out on the weekend.  It is starting to rust but we intend to keep using it along with our new furniture as it really does go well together.  Eventually, we will pick up some brown rustoleum paint to fix the rust spots in the coming months to try and extend the life of this furniture even more - it is about 7 or 8 years old now.  I got out some of the pots, empty until I can plant but all the colour of the pottery pieces helps make up for lack of plants out there.  The little Mexican bowls either side of the lamp below I also found in thrift stores for about $1 each.  All our thrift stores, as well as bidding sites, are now closed so I will probably share more thrift finds in coming posts as I really haven't been good at sharing my finds.


We shut the news off and I hardly looked at the television.  We took a walk with Buddy and looked at the ducks.  They have had to close the playgrounds and many public parks as people were congregating too close to one another and parents weren't making their kids social distance (I understand it is nearly impossible but so super critical at this point).  No matter what we can always walk to our duck pond as long as we are not on full lockdown.

Anyway, try and have the best day you can!

18 comments:

  1. I am planting in a hard plastic, disposable container that held a pie. It is perfect, as you say, for a little greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, next year I might save more of them for this purpose. They stay moist for longer too

      Delete
  2. Love the pottery, and the memories that it invokes. It's a shame you didn't get to go. Maybe next year.

    Glad you had a good day! Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I rebooked for Nov 30th but not getting excited until we know what is going on with the world at that time.

      Delete
  3. We noticed 2 basketball courts near us where teens were playing pick. up games. Yikes! I am so glad I do not have a teen right now.
    I have a list a mile long of outdoor things to do now. I certainly have the time to get them done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, teens are rebellious and the thought of being locked inside with them indefinitely is a scary thought indeed. We have actually done regular job work the last few days but hope to pick up the painting this weekend

      Delete
  4. I love your choices of Mexican pottery and congratulations on that contract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitchell. In what is sure to be a crappy survival year it was a gift

      Delete
  5. I'm trying! My apartment building will have the water shut off for the day, so I'm up and showered and coffee made. The weather is good, high 50s, so I plan to get in my schedule of three walks today. I found going out for shorter walks a few times a day is my best at keeping calm(er). I've got a virtual Weight Watchers meeting at 11:00 and I'm so looking forward to seeing my friends. Take good care and best day wishes to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual is good, hubby is doing a virtual cocktail hour today with one of the companies we work with at days end. A bit of laughter helps everyone's spirits

      Delete
  6. Great news about the client!
    Loving your Mexican pots and the story behind them.
    Our bank is allowing us to scan cheques and pay them in online - not that I've got any!!
    Don't feel bad about enjoying your time, we are too and really appreciating every minute. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure things will get slower but it is ok to have the good odd moment. They come so few and far between these days

      Delete
  7. We used to go to Mexico quite a bit when we lived in Southern California and when we had the plane to explore farther south. I was shopping in an outdoor mall in Cancun looking for a cloth bag to hold my travel toiletries. The one booth I visited didn't have what I was looking for but he knew where there was another salesman. He closed up and took me over there where I found the perfect one. That was in about 1990. I still use it today after a few stitches to keep it in shape. Good to hear about your business holding on and a new client. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexicans are so resourceful, they could teach our businesses a thing or two. Thanks Margy, take care

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous lamps.

    Right now I have relatives trying to make it home from Mexico and from Arizona. They say things are pretty rough.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't imagine that run through the states. Blogging friends (Que Pasa on my sidebar) just made it home from Mexico today thankfully

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on signing a new contract. That's really good news. I think spending time with plants, dirt and nature overall is very helpful during this stressful time. I can't wait to see when your flowers bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it was extremely unexpected. They keep announcing programs to help people but up until now we qualify for very little so have to be reliant upon ourselves to make it through. We have savings and everything paid off, thank god for that.

      Delete