Sunday, March 29, 2020

Another Day and Success At The Pharmacy



 These are the pictures taken earlier in the week when we managed to pop by the ocean for a few minutes.  They've closed the beaches but this isn't really a park, just a point of land by a few houses.  Many others had the same idea although most stayed in their cars.  Some don't like seagulls but I've always loved them.  If the ocean were a pub they would be the bar patrons.

 Sunshine and nature are good for the soul.  Even if it was only a few minutes.


I had to go out yesterday on the elusive search for a specific OTC med hubby needed and that I've not been able to find.  I had success on my first try.  I overpaid and normally buy this at Costco but I am avoiding that place for a very long time.  If I can find what I need by going in the occasional almost deserted store that will be fine.  I also went to Mom's and waited outside while she took a shower.  She shouted when she went in and she shouted when she got out.  It's the best we can do while trying to keep her safe.  Both of us don't worry this way.  She is doing ok, remarkably upbeat.  I bought her an Amazon fire tablet for Christmas and she really got hooked on words with friends so she's been playing that alot.  When she runs out of real books to read I will walk her through downloading books in the kindle app on it.  She's never read electronically but if she can figure out texting like she did in the last year for the first time she can figure out how to read on the kindle app.

We called hubby's 82 year old Aunt yesterday.  She is the youngest of 8 children and was hubby's Dad's littlest sister.  She is one of the last ones left and the only one with all of her brain cells as the rest that are alive are living with dementia.  It was her birthday.  She could see none of her family even though they live close but they are trying their best to keep her safe.  She said she was busy all day and while we were on with her her cell phone rang with another Grandkid.  We had a short conversation but she was quick to point out that it is so important to be vigilant and safe in this timeframe.  She had a sister who was much older who died well before she was born.  I never knew the story but apparently hubby's dad and aunt had a sister who died in the Spanish Flu of 1918.  They had immigrated to Canada from the Ukraine to Alberta in 1902.  After the sister died they had 8 more children.  She told us some other scary things which I will not share but she did say she is so ever grateful for technology as she had heard the stories her parents had told of other farmers who did not fare well and they didn't know what was coming and had no way of protecting themselves.  It was a bit of an awakening for us as I had never heard the story.

After a couple of rainy cold days we've been blessed with another sunny one so I will keep this short as I need to get some pancakes made then we hope to go for a very long walk with our teddy bear/dog buddy.  His grooming scissors came in but his face is still pretty fuzzy and will remain so until he gets professionally cut again. 

Happy Sunday everyone.

21 comments:

  1. We may think these are tough times (as indeed they are) but the old folks can probably tell stories that will make our hair curl can't they! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the modern world has no idea what our Grandparents went through. This may toughen all of us up

      Delete
  2. I love what you're doing for your mom. And that call to your husband's 82-year-old aunt is a gift (and she sounds like a gift herself). Give a hug to Fuzzy Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Toni is wonderful. She has always been one of my favorite relatives. We now try and visit her every time we end up in Alberta. Hubby saw her last month at her sister's funeral. She is such a strong friendly woman, I've always admired her. Fuzzy Buddy sends hugs back!

      Delete
  3. Both my mom and dad survived the 1918 flu but were little, mom was two and dad was six. Mom lived out of town on farm but dad lived in the nearby small town and his parents ran a small grocery store. Must have been harder for them to stay well. Since they were so young I never heard any of the stories and never thought to ask my grandparents, all of whom survived. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of reading about it. I find stories from that era interesting. Times are much different today but they survived it and so will we.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we just need to read history to know our stay at home and social distancing is nothing compared to tragic periods in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in a way if we all make it through I think this will be good for our adult kids. They have never seen hardship of any kind really. Now they each have to make their own way through this just as we have to. Character building stuff

      Delete
  5. I would like to hear those stories. At least write them down as a legacy to the Spanish flu and her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am going to do some reading up. I like history and this is so pertinent to today

      Delete
  6. I see many a meme on Facebook telling us how our parents and grandparents went to war to save us and all we are being asked to do is sit at home, play with our electronics, and watch television. Surely we can do this. Pulling together we can get this done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we certainly can. Our adult kids will be stronger for this - as long as we make it out to the other side.

      Delete
  7. I also adore Words with Friends! :-) Such a fun game.

    Love the pictures of the ocean. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I showed it to her when we had our Mother Daughter weekend in September and she decided she might like it so I got her the tablet for Christmas and she plays every single day now. My intent was to keep her brain cells going (she reads a lot so not really a worry) but now she is addicted to it too. Not a bad addiction :)

      Delete
  8. Your mum sounds amazing mastering technology like she has been doing. The older generation seem to be so pragmatic about being told to stay inside for 12 weeks, an example to us all.
    Gorgeous photos of the beach, I'm a fan of seagulls, too.
    Glad you manged to finds the necessary drugs and good luck with Buddy's trim! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom has always been a forward thinker. She locked herself away on March 10th telling me it was a good idea. At first I was upset, now I realize how smart that was.

      Delete
  9. I love the ocean photos, even with the sea gulls (not my favorite bird). They are so calming!

    It sounds like you and your mom have figured out physical distancing.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ocean is my happy place. We just have to find a nice quiet piece of it

      Delete
  10. Great idea to stay with your Mom thru her shower, I assume that you were ready to rush in to help if she fell. Mask and gloves!! Nice to be able to walk your fuzzy fur kid and drive to the beach for a few moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no mask or gloves. I told her if she falls we have far more to worry about than Covid. She's being super careful

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that she is being super careful. We were able to get gloves and masks and sanitizer just the day before we left Mazatlan. Colin took the car and went to four stores and found a bit at each. Now they have nothing on the shelves there.

      Delete