Sunday, March 15, 2020

That Year We Made Our Backyard A Paradise




Removed sod


After a very turbulent week for everyone I wanted to share something positive for us.  What better year to beautify your yard than the one when you have to stay at home a lot.  I am so so happy we made the decision to install a brick patio this year to extend our living space to the outside a little more.  We removed part of the grass in our back yard but there is still about 50 feet of grass to the right for us and the dog to enjoy.  Four men, 3 trucks and a day and a half and it is done.  All except a topcoat that they will come back and do on Tuesday or Wednesday that we paid extra for - that will give it a bit of a more finished look.  They have to wait until the overnight temperature is above zero for that and it has been cold here this week with frosts every day but it should be 12 degrees celcius by Wednesday.  


Herringbone design, like a puzzle

The completed patio
I cannot believe how large our back yard now looks with the rhodos that were in the picture below were removed.  They only bloom a couple of weeks in a whole year and should have never been put where they were to begin with.  It doesn't look great yet but will as they used the sod they cut out and put it back where the rhodos were.  In a couple of months, it will be looking really good.  Now we need to have the furniture we bought for it delivered.  And no, the rhodos were not just thrown away.  They removed them for free and one of the Red Seal landscapers is going to use them in his yard as he just bought a house.  They spent so much time making sure everything was just right, including drainage as we have a very slight tilt to the yard.  It truly pays to use professionals for this type of work.  This project has been on our list of wants since we bought the house and since we are staying here forever we now have an outside room :).

The rhodos in the background are the ones we took out(taken 4 years ago)

So as you can guess we've canceled our trip to Mexico.  Our country is asking us to stay at home and we are.  People depend on us - in our business and my Mom and we need to be able to move about here as long as we can.  They are asking people to self-isolate for 14 days on return and for us, that was the kicker.  I have no worries about Mexico or traveling but I understand why they are taking so many precautions.  My poor blogging friend Mitchell who lives in Spain is under a 14-day mandatory lockdown right now. That means he is not even allowed to go for a walk on the beach.  If you don't think that can happen where you live you should think again and prepare in advance for it.  We bottled 30 bottles of red yesterday for hubby and I have 15 bottles of white plus I've stashed lots of chocolate and goodies (where hubby can't find them unless the poop hits the fan) and feel pretty prepared.  Oh yeah, I've already stockpiled lots of groceries so we are good.  We are over-compensating as Mom is in extremely high risk (77 with high BP and diabetes) and hubby has asthma.  Others may feel more comfortable being out and about eating in restaurants and such - to each their own.  I am not concerned about myself but want to keep my loved ones safe.

I stayed on hold for 4 hours on Friday to be disconnected trying to change our flights.  Then yesterday I tried again and was disconnected after an hour. Super frustrating but in the big picture an inconvenience.  We are canceling no matter what, even if we lose the money.  The tickets were bought on points but we paid taxes plus one change fee already.  We've only paid 1-night hotel that is nonrefundable.  I will try again on the phones tomorrow morning - I've set the alarm for 5:30 so I can start dialing at 6 when the phones open.

Our business has already felt an immediate hit this week with 2 potential contracts pulling out.  The first was an immediate spending freeze from a large Canadian company and the other was hubby was supposed to be a speaker at a conference that is now canceled.  Nothing we can do about it.  I feel so fortunate that no matter what happens we can weather this storm, financial and otherwise.  We can also help the kids if necessary.  For now they are ok.  My oldest stepson lost his job at a rec center a month early as they shut down.  His last month of college classes has gone online. His fiancee is a mechanical engineer who is now working from home so financially they are good and we've already told him to ask if he needs help.   Stepson #2 is ok, no changes yet.  Stepson #3 works for the largest plumbing company in Alberta.  Likely there will be layoffs but this family-owned organization is massive and does commercial plumbing.  For now they have promised their staff 2 weeks of paid sick leave if they are sick, no questions asked. That is huge.  We talked to my Stepdaughter yesterday and she was thinking of quitting her wine store job as is getting too many shifts at the bar she works at (she has 2 jobs).  We suggested to her likely the bar job would be very quickly slowing down and she should keep the second job, at least for a couple of months.  She is still young and hadn't thought about that yet.  Her boyfriend suggested they go stock up on groceries this week.  He is a nice boy who obviously has a good head on his shoulders.

Instead of going to the gym we moved hubby's weights in the living room so he can work out at home.  We have a treadmill as well.  For now recreation will be taking lots of walks with Buddy as well as visiting with friends and going to the ocean.  We all have to do the best we can with the cards that have been dealt to us.  Yes, this may have all been blown out of proportion but tell that to someone who has a loved one sick.  Better to be safe than sorry.

24 comments:

  1. your yard looks really lovely, and your puppy looks happy with it! I'd like to remove some of the grass here, we have a corner block so a lot of mowing to do. We lost some money cancelling our holiday but in the overall scheme of things its worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's disappointing to not be able to go on vacation but as you say, in the overall scheme of things it was the thing to do for us.

      Delete
  2. I think I would love the yard better than a vacation. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if we have to shelter in place. I am only hoping to buy some flowers soon and get our furniture delivered. I want to be able to putter in the yard

      Delete
  3. I love the way your yard trounced out! I guess I am going to have some time on my hand between running to Mom's and no where else to go. It is probably going to be a great time to work in the yard, (But I am going to wait until the pollen settles a little)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stocked up on allergy meds the other day just because of that :)

      Delete
  4. My sister in-law kept nagging me all Winter to go on a cruise with her come Spring. So glad I said no now. Plus I've been holding off making any vacay plans for the year.....maybe I had a "feeling" or I was psychic....or just lazy. lolz

    Staying safe and doing what's best for you/your family is right for you. I've got a compromised immune system and am on a Biologic so I've been careful. I carry Lysol wipes with me(using them especially at Rite-Aid)and keep my distance from everyone but my Hubs and puppies.

    Your patio will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think travel won't come back for some time. I did manage to change our flights to end of November, hopefully things will quiet by then and if not we will just throw the tickets away. We are reducing salaries so the travel budget and all others are reducing as we are already losing existing clients. It is what it is. So thankful like you guys everything is paid off and we can help our kids out.

      Delete
  5. I love your yard. I am sure you will spend a lot of time outdoors this year. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isolated to the back yard unfortunately but as long as I've got my dog and hubby things will be ok. I do need to go stock up on reading materials though as absolutely hate reading digitally

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry that you will miss your holiday but like you say, it's better to be safe than sorry isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never knew how much home could be a safe haven for people who love traveling but I am so grateful we love where we live so much

      Delete
  7. Looks so beautiful! We have a lovely outdoor space. Now we just need it to stop raining. Grateful for the rain due to our drought... but timing has been tricky! I'd love to be outside right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been blessed with several days of sunshine so we've been going for walks with Buddy every day - good for the soul.

      Delete
  8. Sorry you weren't able to make your trip, but it's understandable. I'm still holding off for a bit since my trip isn't booked until June. If things continue as they are, I will be cancelling too.

    Love the yard, I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so happy both Mom and us have nice patios and back yards. If we aren't on lockdown when the greenhouses open up (weeks away) I will go buy flowers for both of us and help her get hers into shape so she has somewhere to go as she's locked herself into self isolation until things are safer for her. I am so glad she lives so close to us.

      Delete
  9. You will love your patio. I regret not using more pavers as weeds grow on the gravel between our slate. The area we did with Unilock turned out great, only it's time to pull it out and reset it. That needs to be done every five years or so, as it settles and weeds will begin to pop through.

    I am out of wine and think I'll buy us both a few big boxes. At least there are now a few good boxed wines and those store/last a long time. If we make it through this episode without being depleted, the extra will be great to bring to our trailer for the summer.

    I think you are wise not to travel and to stick close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if we hadn't of made the decision the airlines are ceasing operation of out of country flights before our date and Canada has called it's citizens home several days ago. Really no choice to make

      Delete
  10. I love te new brick! Can’t wait to see it all put together out there. We’re doing fine. I’m very excited because I’m about to take out some recycling! Can’t be out long, but I’m going to walk up and down the stairs to make it even more exciting. I wish we had our own backyard. We’ve got gardens and a pool, but because they’re shared, they’re off limits, too. So, I’ll be out on the terrace puttering in the dirt this afternoon and looking out at the forbidden beach. We’re pretty lucky. Strange times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for your terrace. I can't imagine what it would be like without a patio or terrace to be locked in.

      Delete
  11. Look at Buddy lounging in his new bit of garden! It's looking great, love the herringbone paving it reminds me of the wonderful gardens Gertrude Jekyll created at the turn of the century.
    I'm sad that you had to cancel your holiday. The decision was taken out of my brother's hands as the EU forbade all travel this afternoon, he received a refund within hours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to change our flights to the end of November - hopefully things will get back moving again by then.

      Delete
  12. I love the look of your patio. I am sure you will get great use out of it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We will try and do our best to make it a peaceful oasis to get away from everything this summer. We need it.

      Delete