Monday, March 30, 2020

Ignoring The Forecasts



We took our long walk with Buddy yesterday.  There is a lovely forested path a few blocks from our house.  The trees are hairy with moss from the wet winter.  It was supposed to be mainly sunny but we got a sprinkle of rain when out walking.  Although there are many people who walk on this path everyone was giving lots of distance to each other.  


I've decided to start ignoring the weather forecast - every day it is supposed to be sunny there seems to be a bit of rain and every day it is supposed to be rainy I look out and see a bit of sun.  Best just to look out the window at this point.

We've been staying away from the news.  I try only to log online to check the local information and then am shutting it off.  We've always had basic cable as hubby is a news addict - this has been hard on him and he's watched too much.  Finally yesterday he agreed to quit watching it so much.  Fortunately, the cable companies are opening most of their channels to free - so now I am recording things to watch for both of us.  One of our guilty pleasures from the last few months has been a Saturday night Svengoolie movie.  Svengoolie is a guy from Chicago who dresses up like a vampire and shows horror movies from the 1940s to late 1950s.  I really don't like horror movies but these ones I love.  This past Saturday night was The Horror of Dracula from 1958 (recorded from last week).  I've just found another free one on youtube The Return of Dracula here if you are interested.




 If we run out of recorded ones we will watch this one as it is full length and free.  Other favorites are The Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Wolfman.  Some of them are black and white, some are colourized.  It is kind of neat to think these movies all came out when my Mom was a young teenager.

Anyway, I've got to get some month end accounting done.  As I said to my husband, our company will continue on even if we don't have billings as if the machine stops, it will be every so hard to start it up again.  For now we still have clients and the machine continues.

15 comments:

  1. Our local cable television is also providing some channels for free. I've been watching Law & Order re-runs and a lot of HGTV programming. I gave up the latter channel when I reduced my cable subscription so I'm really enjoying that.

    Like your husband I'm a bit of a news junkie. I've got back a lot because it gets so depressing.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am watching HGTV, lots of house hunters international to get my travel fix and dream. One day we will be able to travel again freely. You too!

      Delete
  2. Loving the hairy tree!
    After our taste of Spring last week it seems like we've gone back to Winter mode, it's hideously cold and damp here. I'm hoping the forecast is right and it's due to pick up again next week.
    We only have "normal" tv here and watch most stuff on catch-up. The BBC have released loads of old dramas, documentaries and films to keep us occupied - we all need a break from the news! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool and crisp here hovering just above freezing every morning. And we have wind so it feels colder but I have seen some sun so that is lovely. Yes, don't we?

      Delete
  3. I used to love watching Elvira, Mistress of the Dark's show here in the States. The horror movies she hosted were always B level cheezy ones, more silly than scary. Then she would come on and add funny commentary along with a mechanical ghoul. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the same idea, apparently he is out of Chicago and we see him on PBS (KSPS out of Spokane) at 8pm our time Saturday nights. Some are cheezier than other ones but we like them.

      Delete
  4. Cool tree. The movies remind me of Creature Feature on late night television growing up and when I would watch later when babysitting. Not too smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Louis Dean is in there watching The Virginian. We watch a little news in the morning and evening and then I try my best to stay away from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only way to limit your intake of the crud, it just seems like it is almost the same except worse every day.

      Delete
  6. I love the old horror movies!! My uncle used to have me curl up behind his knees when I was very young and watch them with him. It used to get Mom and Dad worried that I would be scared. Not a chance.

    Harvey is making a graph of all the Covid-19 cases in each province. It is driving me nuts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby thankfully is still tied up with business or I am sure he would do the same thing. We have our main tv hooked up to headphones as I am sound sensitive so if he wants to watch a horrible movie or the news I can block it out. I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my word, the music to that film!!!! The accompanying music to films is SO important. I mean, can you imagine watching that movie with The Nutcracker Suite playing in the background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, back in the day when they had a full orchestra to do film scores. My hubby always is fascinated with the lighting too and the props. Pretty neat.

      Delete
  8. You are fortunate that you still have business. We of course have nothing as it has to be done outside of the house. Hopefully things will pick up if and when this virus has been stopped. Meanwhile we are using RRSP's to get by.

    ReplyDelete