Friday, January 10, 2020

Using It Up - The Travel Stash

So 2020 hasn't been off to a great start health-wise.  I started the year with a headache due to a mild hangover.  That headache lasted for 3 days!  I actually think I had a touch of the flu since I didn't drink that much (2.5 glasses of wine).  Next up I bent over to wipe Buddy's feet off due to one of our super wet rainstorms - and hurt my back.  I keep thinking it is feeling better and then it hurts again after I do something stupid - like try and move my potted strawberries under cover this morning due to impending snow and below zero temperatures.  So right now I am sitting on a hot pad and I took 2 muscle relaxants - just so I can function!  Bloody hell.  Anyway, other than that things are good.

We have tied up 2 more contracts for 2020 so effective pay this month we are increasing our pay by $1500 - almost back to regular pay but not quite.  I want to ensure that there is a full 6 months of wages in our corporate bank account before we increase them any further.  I do think 2020 is going to shape up better than 2019, things are definitely looking up that way.  Hubby has said several times that he is glad I didn't get that job - it would have been way too much to deal with.


This week I decided to start using up my travel size stash. This means using up bits left over from previous travels.  I like to keep some for future travels but the stash has gotten out of hand so right now I am using shampoo, conditioner, soap (l'occitane from our September Salt Spring Island trip) and toothpaste.  I hate waste so I always take the leftovers home but never seem to use them.

Also in the use it category - 3 grocery items rarely used this week have been used up.  I still have several to go but this is progress. 

I also am having a drier than normal January (because how much fun is a totally dry January?).  Making wine is cost effective but also means you have it around all the time.  I am also trying to drink at least 2 glasses of water more than normal each day.  These changes can only make my general health better.

In my last post I referenced researching travel for 2021 since 2020 is tied up with Mexico and Ottawa.  Since then we've had a frank discussion and due to the flying time to Asia from here (18-24 hrs) we likely will wait on that until after we retire and can go there for 2-4 weeks at a time.  So for now not sure where we will end up and maybe I will just leave it until 3 months before we want to go somewhere.

I have listed 6 items to sell since the new year and sold 3 of them.  2 were for resale. This furthers my goal of making more money on the side plus get's crap out of my house that we no longer use. 

There is a storm raging outside right now, 40-80 km winds gusts, rain and it should be turning to snow later this morning.  A great day to stay in and drink tea!

21 comments:

  1. I hate to do something simple and hurt myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my parents had retired they would travel internationally and stay 3-5 weeks in a general location then take side trips out from there. They loved it.
    I have several things I need to try and sell. You inspired me to take pictures and get them listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do that later in life. Right now we have some obligations with regard to dog, Mom and business but that may change down the road.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of using up all the bits all over. I am in writing mode on my January Blues, but I think a good declutter, while saving money and not wasting could be a good partial remedy. I also need to plan some vacation or get away time. Sometimes the planning is enough to keep me positive, even if the trip or event is many weeks or even months away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start using travel leftovers it is amazing how long they actually last. I can get a whole week out of a travel size!

      Delete
  4. We sold two big things in 2019, our airplane and its hangar. The down side was we had to clean out the hangar on very short notice so everything had to go to a removal company. We had our extra things stored there including many items from my family and childhood. It was very painful for both of us. But now we are much lighter in the stuff department. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is downsizing for sure. Life gets a little simpler with less stuff though

      Delete
  5. I also like the idea of using up the bits & bobs & clearing out space. And, great news about the business uptick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I posted this we got one more signed contract so our wages are pretty secure in 2020, thankfully

      Delete
  6. Absolutely a day to stay warm and cozy. Maybe a nice soak in the tub would help your back-as long as you don't twist it getting in and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We have a hot tub too. The hot pad seems to work best. It was pretty temporary though as I managed to shovel yesterday and it seems pretty good right now

      Delete
  7. Sorry you've hurt your back and I hope that it's back to normal soon. As I was reading, I was thinking too, that it was good that you did not get that job.

    Stay safe and warm during the storm. We're in the deep freeze and it looks like it will last for a bit. At this moment, I'm thinking I'd prefer the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back issue is pretty good right now even after shoveling, thankfully. We weathered the storm, now need to shovel out again lol

      Delete
  8. I love using up my travel stash! So sorry about the back. Hope it passes quickly. A three-day hangover? Probably not. That would have had to have been quite the bender. I once had a 5-day hangover. But I had split an entire bottle of tequila (party size) with my roommate’s girlfriend. Never did that again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your back feels better soon and the snow isn't too heavy. Hate the stuff.
    Its so rewarding to use stuff up, isn't it? I love a good declutter.
    Great news on the business front. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back is better but hopefully no more shoveling!

      Delete
  10. I use up travel stash too - doesn't make sense to waste it does it. And I'm sorry to hear about your back. To hurt your back doing something so banal is a pain in the butt isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do need to get into better shape to prevent this though

      Delete
  11. For back problems strengthen your core. Getting older we need to do this. And stand up straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of parts that need strengthening lol, I always stand up straight though

      Delete