Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 - A Clean Slate Once Again

The garlic is sprouting!
I just love a new year.  The slate wiped clean and you get to look forward to brand new adventures.  I don't do resolutions, find they are a waste of time, instead I have some general goals:

1.  Grow more food.  Yesterday I noticed my Russian garlic had sprouted.  I am not sure how many more will come up as found at least one garlic clove had been dug up by something.  In addition to peas, strawberries, cucumbers, rosemary, garlic and tomatoes, I would like to add at least one or two more food varieties.  I may need to build more gardening boxes - time will tell. Any suggestions of things that grow well in boxes or containers?  I am not ready to rip out more lawn other than to widen our patio in the summer.  Any idea of plants that grow well in the shade?  The side of the house that has our storage shed has an area I could use.


2.  More date nights and adventures.  We don't get out enough.  This doesn't have to cost money, just needs to be more experiences and fun together.  Hubby got a movie gift card from Mom so there are a few in theatre movies in our future.  I've got $100 tucked away for a date night to our favorite Greek restaurant since we never went out for our wedding anniversary in September due to Buddy's dislocated hip.  Any money we don't use will be put towards other date nights.

3.  Get healthier.  After walking 10,000 steps every day in 2017 and then getting tendonitis twice in 2018 I've fallen off the health bandwagon.  Maybe some weights which we already own.  I'd like to have more tone in my arms before our trip to Mexico as Zihuatanejo is so warm (think 33-35 degrees every day) only tank tops and sleeveless shirts can be worn.  I also would like to do more hiking with hubby and the dog.

4. Rein in the budget.  I've reworked our 2020 budget based on current income.  2018 was our best year ever in our company and we had enjoyed nice salaries with lots of extra money for savings and fun.  2019 was one of the worst years and lots of our small saving pots got depleted, in fact, we spent about $5000 more than we made by way of that savings.  That needs to change.  This means a reduced travel budget.  It doesn't mean we won't travel, we love to so it may mean just doing it less often.  Our next major international trip after Mexico will likely be in 2021 and I am going to start researching it now.  Either Thailand or Bali Indonesia.  I've only ever been to Hong Kong and Macau in Asia and hubby hasn't stepped foot in Asia.  Also, after paying for plane tickets both are reasonably priced and have great food which are two huge things we look for when we travel.  Other areas of the budget have been chopped as well.  Clothing is being cut as even though I only tend to buy used clothing except for undergarments it still adds up and my closet is bulging.  We spent a lot of money on the house, only some of which came out of savings, the rest out of our paychecks.  Other than finish painting the house (we probably have enough paint already) and installing a new brick patio extension in the back yard, no other major projects are planned.  Hubby could go from project to project.  Me?  Not so much.

5.  Try to keep on track with our grocery budget.  Our 2020 grocery budget is $525 a month for food and nonfood items, excluding over the counter meds.  At the start of 2019 the budget including OTCs was $575.  I switched those to our medical fund category in mid-2019 and believe it was the right thing to do.  We no longer pay medical insurance premiums now so the $75 I was paying a month will be used for these OTCs.  We each have a few medical issues/diseases that won't kill us so we do require a good amount of OTC's to keep these in check.I will still try and keep those costs down as low as possible but this switch will allow me to stock up on expensive OTCs when they go on sale instead of trying to stick to my monthly budget.  I was $802.76 over for the year on the grocery budget which works out to about $67 a month over.  Prices keep going up so this may mean eating less meat and more veggies which at this point in our life is a no-brainer.  People may wonder why I even have a grocery budget - one simple fact.  If you don't have one you will likely spend hundreds more per month than you intend.  Having a budget reins freewheeling spending in.

6.  Do better at making money on the side.  This year I worked an election as well as ramped up my reselling mid-year.  I hope to do even better in 2020, reselling more on a monthly basis.  This requires me to hunt for stock but since I love garage sales and thrift stores I don't see this as a hardship.  We discussed me getting a part-time job again last night, and the reality is most places would want me to put more hours in than I can give right now so this is on hold, especially until we see how many contracts re-sign in 2020.  We have 3 new clients that launched in December so 2020 is looking up.

7.  Meet more people, make new friends and stay connected to old ones.  I actually spoke to 2 friends and then had visits with them this year with people that I hadn't seen in several years.  That felt good.  Volunteering also allowed me to meet a whole new crowd of people and feel more connected to my community.  I need more of that, especially working from home.

I've got a wee headache today.  We ended up drinking wine last night with our neighbor until 1230 am.  We all intended to be snoring in the new year but when you have good food and company that sometimes goes out the window.  She had a 5am flight to catch, I can't imagine that after staying up until 1 am, which we rarely do :)  Today Christmas comes down and with Hubby's help it should take less than 2 hours, inside and out including putting away the exterior lights.  I cleaned the entire house yesterday after finishing painting the hallway so all that needs to be cleaned will be a little vacuuming and dusting after the tree is down.

Happy 2020 everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Making more money on the side is a goal of mine. Good luck with garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I like to grow at least 1 new thing a year. Not sure what that will be this year though.

      Delete
  2. I love how you organize your money and plan your goals. If you don’t plan it you probably won’t do it is my motto. I’m about to start my new Country Diary and plan out my goals. I did about half of last year’s. New counter tops and new carpet in the living room and dining room have been on my list for several years. This year I am determined! Moving everything is a daunting chore but we aren’t getting any younger so we need to bite the bullet and get ‘r DONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving stuff was one of the biggest deterrents for us to prevent a carpet install, but I am so glad we did it. Not sure I would do it again though, we are now living with this forever!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year!
    We went to Bali in 2009 and then on to Lombok, which was out of this world. We both say we should go back! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS That should have said 1999 - how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, time does fly! I really want to go but after a discussion with hubby we just can't see flying for 18-22 hours for anything less than 2 weeks and we can't be away that long as long as our business is up and running. So for now that trip is shelved until we shut the company down boo hoo. Will have to find somewhere a little closer.

      Delete
  5. I grew radishes in containers one year with limited success..the rabbits made short work of them. My daughter has a couple of gardening boxes that we bought last spring. She grew pumpkins and cucumbers as well as tomatoes and onions with fairly good success.

    As for your shady area, I don't of any veg that would do well there. Maybe lettuce? It might not be as thick and lush but more like micro greens.

    I really like your list of goals especially hearing about your financial goals. This is the first year I've kept track of spending (yes, I was an accountant so my bad). It was a good exercise as I learned where I have a tendency to overspend and can work at limiting these purchases in 2020.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried radishes in containers and they didn't do well unfortunately. I do like the idea of microgreens, will do some research into that.

      Delete
  6. I grassed over my veggie plot because I just couldn't keep up with it. I have a few small growing boxes but I'm ashamed to say last year it was pathetic and I wasn't even working. I'm excited about the prospect of growing stuff "properly" this year though. I was watching YouTube videos the other night on growing tomatoes vertically in plastic bottles! Fascinating stuff. I did have a shot at growing lettuces the same way one year (strung up against my cherry tree) and it was amazing. My neighbours actually brought their friends round to have a look! There's a thought for this year huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog groomer grows vertically, has a stand and hers does really well. I think that is a great idea. Might have hubby rig something up for me.

      Delete
  7. Some good goals for sure! I think we share a few in common. We spent down a good portion of our savings on car repairs, so money that would have been used to replenish the account will likely go to buying another car. If we don't dip so much in 2020, I'll be relieved!

    Our one splurge is our yearly Caribbean vacation but I'd hate to give it up since so much of it is paid for by TBG's employer and it's the one time each year we truly splurge. I try not to spoil his good time by obsessing over how much the trip costs us. So I do need to work on keeping worries like that to myself. But we're women, we worry. It's what we do....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about money too - but it is nice to have everything paid off and our retirement all saved for. Just need to be making day to day wages right now and replenish the savings pots. I feel that as long as you save for travel in advance go for it. Only those who charge things and don't have the money saved up go wrong.

      Delete
  8. Because of construction projects at the cabin I didn't get my garlic in the ground in the fall. I know it won't be as good but I might try an early spring planting like I used to do. My crop from last year was excellent. - Margy

    ReplyDelete