Tuesday, January 21, 2020

It's Gone!




So what exactly does it take ot melt a foot and a half of snow?  48 KPH winds and several days of rain!  Buddy is so happy the snow is gone, he was peeved off as he is not a foot and a half high so his yard had shrunk to the couple of runways hubby had shoveled for him to do his business.  Yesterday it was very briefly sunny and he just sat out there looking around at his green kingdom, glad everything was right in his world again.

I will never again complain about snow and cold after what others are experiencing this week.  St John's Newfoundland is still under a state of emergency where they advised all employers to shut their doors for the safety of their citizens.  Today is the first day (after 5 days) that people could try and get some groceries.  Can you imagine shoveling out your car because it is entirely covered in snow?  If you missed it and want to see some pictures here are some from Global News,



On the weekend we painted two more walls, just a couple to go, most of which I will do without hubby as he is crazy busy right now with our business.  I am still selling things like this Starbucks mug that I found Saturday and sold on Monday.  If only I could find more of these - last year I sold 6 Starbucks mugs and this year have already sold 2.  

Thanks to Lorraine of CLAMCO I found out that Windows 7 was at the end of life on January 14 and now a security hazard.  I managed to upgrade our backup old laptop (the one we started the company with) to Windows 10 for free even though technically they are no longer supposed to be offering free upgrades.  If you still need to do this make sure you have several hours - it took me 4 - and you can read through these instructions.  Technically it shouldn't be free but as I had an old Windows 7 license they did not charge me to upgrade.  One less thing on my long list of crap I have to take care of.  I also cleaned out my fridge this week, which was also on the crap list.

I took Mom grocery shopping yesterday, she hadn't left the house since last Tuesday.  I was still worried about her slipping on slush on the weekend so we waited until it was bare pavement again.  I took her a couple of groceries on the interim but she was very happy to leave the house finally.  I feel sorry for those seniors who don't have someone to bring them things if they can't get out.  My husband saw a senior on crutches walking around on Thursday after the storm trying to navigate unshoveled sidewalks.  Keep in mind it is mandatory for people to shovel their sidewalks for public safely yet somehow the city doesn't shovel their own.  Funny how that works.  At least now the snow is gone and we are back to green!!

13 comments:

  1. Where I live I have only seen snow twice, one in 1963 and once in 1993. I can handle it every 30 years! But, what people are going through now is awful. I am glad your dog surveys his kingdom in peace. My chickens hated snow, even the bit we got. I had to carry them about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor chickens! My friends chickens were not impressed either.

      Delete
  2. Newfoundland certainly got battered. I've seen some footage from home cameras of the snow over 24 hours...it was just crazy!

    Glad you're back to the green again and envious too. We won't see that here for months yet.

    Your comment about seniors is a reminder to me. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who get stuck at home when the weather is bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom prefers not to go out when it is bad but I also didn't want her going because I can't hold her up if she slips, so glad we don't have as much winter here as other places.

      Delete
  3. Sadly, my Windows 10 upgrade didn't take. It failed to install. I am now shopping for a new computer which I probably need anyway because mine is 9 years old. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! Ours had lots of memory and was 8 years old (HP). So glad I was able to upgrade it. Makes me very angry that they make these obsolete with programming.

      Delete
    2. Mine is an HP also...an all-in-one.. and it's been running sluggishly for a couple of years. I had a friend try and clean it up for me and it's better, but still has issues with slow loading. So I'm going out this morning to buy a new one with 8GB instead of 4GB which I currently have. It has a bigger screen and it's a touchscreen model which should be fun. It's a big splurge!

      Delete
  4. Our storm turned out to be much less than predicted, but south, in Iowa, they were hit pretty hard. Good for buddy, getting his romping space back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad your storm wasn't as bad as expected, always a relief.

      Delete
  5. Wow I was just looking at those pictures and while I'm sure they're used to snow, that was quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not used to that much snow in one dump, it one of the historical ones. I'd never move to the East Coast of Canada, they deal with that crap almost every winter! Ours are so much milder

      Delete
  6. we get a little bit of snow but I couldn't imagine dealing with that much snow every winter - I'd slip over for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't miss the snow, it just makes everything more difficult

      Delete