Friday, April 12, 2019

Purging, Cleaning, Organizing


It seems I have gotten rid of my sinus issue - I actually think I may have developed some minor allergies at this point in life as now am taking allergy meds every day and most issues have sorted themselves, I feel much better.  It is beautiful when every tree/bush is in full bloom or growing new leaves but it sure does affect those with allergies.


Phase 1 of our home projects is almost complete - that was the organizing phase which involved buying a new shed, deck box and storage solutions for house and garage.  We have moved some items to the crawl, purged the garage, moved some items we hardly everuse to the storage shed (like winter tires), sold some items, donated some items and made a dump run.  I was having the hardest time finding anything for slightly larger storage at the top of our closet.  We have 9 foot ceilings in the whole house with 10 foot in our living room.  Because this house lacks storage we decided one of the ways we were going to gain more room was by going up.  The other day while grocery shopping I spotted a canvas/fabric/wire laundry hamper (from Superstore/Loblaws in case anyone else in Canada is looking for something similar).  It was large enough and pretty enough.  Bought all 4 in stock and they fit perfectly.  I thought I was going to have to drive to a nearby town to get more but our own store restocked and yesterday I bought 3 more.  They were $20 each so for $140 half of our bedroom closet storage issues have been addressed.  They don't have lids but don't need them.  At 2 feet long and 1.5 feet wide they are perfect for larger items.  The problem with most organizing baskets is that they aren't big enough.   Our walk in closet is big enough but due to the wire shelving we needed containment.  I still need to find the right basket for the smaller shelves for our books/clothes but have something in mind, just need to order one to see if it will work.

I also crawled under the house and rearranged things so that we know exactly where everything is.  I realized that we are box hoarders - there are so many boxes under the house it is ridiculous.  We have this tendency of every time we buy something we save the box in case it needs to be returned under warranty.  Things are no longer under warranty and now we have all of these freaking boxes down there taking up space.  Because we work from home there are even more items like that - printer boxes, computer boxes etc.  That is one of my rainy day projects - pull them up, break them down and take them to the recycle centre.  We have curb side recycling but this is way more than I want to put to the curb.

I am still working on getting our company stuff under control, that is a pretty large project as currently things are stored in 2 closets and a few boxes in the laundry room. The pretty Ikea storage file boxes have come in so now I need to put those together and start purging/organizing there.  


The next phase is new carpet for our three bedrooms.  We went and looked yesterday and one of the above high traffic carpets is the one. They are grey tones, we just don't know how dark we want to go.  I have to wait for the sun to come out today to see what it will look like and then we will get the store in to make their measurements and order.  This is one of the only Canadian carpet manufacturers left right now and we are happy to support them.  

Other than that work/life continues on.  Work is a little slower right now but we have long term contracts carrying us through so things are fine.  The Canadian economy seems a little sketchy right now, people seem to be hesitant to make decisions to sign contracts.  Some say that Canada has a housing bubble that is going to pop in Vancouver and Toronto, less so in other markets.  They also say there might be a recession.  No matter what we will be fine and we are taking this time to do all these improvements to the house.  Hubby is already much happier with the garage and I am much happier with the closet so we are making progress.

I booked our flights to Mexico in January on points.  It is nice to get that tied up - back to Zihuatanejo at the end of January for 8 nights.  We loved our last hotel and Zihuatanejo so much that now we get to look forward to going back, even if it is 8.5 months away.  When I book things on points I always price out what it would be if we had to pay in full.  We paid $459 in taxes and medical insurance but saved $1126 in airfare by using the points.  

Due to deciding to do a bunch of home improvements this year I have to readjust our annual budgets - $10,000 is set aside for household improvements.  Part of what was slashed is the travel budget for this year and we are ok with that as we still get our much needed winter getaway.  We've already used a third of the home improvement budget.  Most of the rest will be the carpet.  We are also going to be saving for the next year phase which is to extend our patio either in concrete or decking (concrete is so expensive it might be decking), remove our back yard hydrangeas, add a palm tree (or two, I've always wanted one), buy new outdoor patio furniture which includes a couch set to replace the one we have, a table and chair set for eating outside, and two lounge chairs with umbrellas.  We are trying to make our back yard into a resort like feel since we live outside so much five months of the year.  

Further renovations down the road may include cabinets over the washer/dryer (I really want this) and possibly a sunroom.  That may or may not be possible based on lot size/structural issues but we shall see.  

Yes, this costs money but based on us almost buying a different home then staying - even with all these changes we are still saving money on realtor fees, carrying costs, transfer tax and moving costs. All we wanted was one more room in the house but with our changes we have freed up so much storage space it is almost like having the extra square footage.  Plus - we get to stay in a great quiet neighborhood with nice neighbors and a great back yard.  Some times you have to look elsewhere to see that the grass is greener in your own back yard.

35 comments:

  1. You are so ambitious. It is hard picking out finishing products, at least for me. I need to finalize our flooring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We narrowed it down to one carpet range - last night we spent 2 hours back and forth on the colour but we are going darker than originally thought, apparently both to our liking (most important) and on trend right now apparently

      Delete
  2. Staying put is always an option. Using what moving would have cost to improve where you are is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we knew we would be spending money somewhere - now at least it is on different things than we have already upgraded rather than a bunch of money on a property with unknown issues (ie maintenance)

      Delete
  3. Great progress on your goals. Good neighbours make life smoother!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good neighbors do make a great big difference!

      Delete
  4. You are energetic in just about every thing you do! Including saving $$!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure energetic is true but determined, yes!

      Delete
  5. Staying where you are and making the improvements to make it what you really want makes total sense to me. It sounds like you are well on the way. That carpet looks exactly what I need to replace my bedroom carpet. Is it a local store that carries it or do any of the box stores? I'm going to have to go look!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A local End of the roll franchise - the carpet maker is Beaulieau of Quebec and the carpet's name is Calm Retreat - not sure about the box stores but you could contact the manufacturer to see who the local carrier would be :)

      Delete
  6. I wonder how get some much stuff.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think investing in your house is a good idea and love the way you have blocked your projects with a great sense of priority. Here I always have chores/improvements stacked according to needs then when I start I can almost feel the domino effect as they get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be projects but at least we now feel we are getting somewhere - quite quickly too!

      Delete
  8. What fun. And organizing! I LIVE for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have mentioned allergies. Have yo ever get tested? I got tested 5 years or so ago and it turned out that I home dust mites. So, I have been told to get rid of all carpets and curtains. Well, I cannot get rid of the curtains but the carpets are gone. Curtains get washed often and it is all laminate surfaces now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been tested but most of my family has allergies. I don't think they are bad enough to go through the tests at this point. Hubby has that same dust allergy - we have a dyson vacuum (they are pretty amazing) and chair our air filter on our furnace all the time, it is a constant battle. We only have carpet in the 3 bedrooms now, rest of the house is laminate and linoleum

      Delete
    2. I cannot believe the mistakes in my earlierncomment. Ugh! I use a Dyson too. It does help a lot.

      Delete
  10. Great idea to add those baskets at the top of your closet. Between you, you have come with so many ways to add space. I"m sure that your house is very happy to have you staying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our home, I think hubby is committed to staying now (he better be lol)

      Delete
  11. Oh, I want to add that the patio plans for next year sound wonderful, just like a resort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came up with that idea originally while in Mexico enjoying a patio there....now that we are staying here it will happen

      Delete
  12. You're both very sensible staying where you love and just investing a little more cash into your home.
    A walk-in wardrobe? How very luxurious (mine's called the spare bedroom!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your home is so much older and historic (mine has zero charm and yet I have a walkin closet lol).

      Delete
  13. I like your idea of having a set budget annually for work on the house. I'm going to start doing that. the closet looks good with those baskets up the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a general household budget for the entire year. As we go along if we change course I adjust the others to stay on track. That way if we over spend in one area we cut back in another or if a bill comes in lower ie house tax, I just allocate that money some where else. I like my closet so much better now!

      Delete
  14. Great to have a list especially for big projects. We hoped to get a patio in for this year but still waiting for the guy with the digger to scrape out soil and fill in with gravel prior to us laying bricks. All this rain has put everything back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear from you Susan! We are thinking of our options for next year to extend the patio - bricks being one of them. I don't really want more cement plus it's super expensive.

      Delete
  15. You are getting so many things done. I think you are making the home you have better meet your needs, so moving became less attractive. I haven't moved many times in my life, but each time was no fun. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have moved a lot - about 30 times - and hate hate hate it. This feels like home, glad we are staying

      Delete
  16. Love the storage updates! I'm doing the same though on a smaller scale. Going room by room to address storage needs, paint touchups and fixing anything that needs fixing (or replacing). It's that time of year when I get motivated to spruce things up a bit. London is being affected by the housing bubble in Toronto. Retirees are selling up and moving to London which is pushing London prices way up. The average home is over $400,000 now which is "up there" if you've lived in London all your life but cheap to Torontonians who will be able to sell their property for millions, spend a half mill on a London house and bank the rest. Makes it hard for our millennial generation however - Kazi can't envision ever being able to own a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tough on our adult kids. Our eldest and his GF (likely future wife) are saving for a down payment in Ottawa - apparently Ottawa is one of the most reasonable places in Canada. Also Calgary - due to the oil crash. Calgary used to be one of the most expensive. I am relieved we are staying put.

      Delete
  17. I really think you made the best decision by staying put. I am also a box hoarder and need to stop that. There is always a way to get a box if you need it. We also need more storage and hope to get some boards put down in our attic. We won't finish the space, but with boards on the floor, we can store items up there off season. It sure is a challenge to fit everything into a smaller house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an attic but it is really unaccessible except through a vent in the ceiling of our garage (10 foot ceiling there). Fortunately we do have the crawlspace - I am trying to get that whipped into some sort of order so when we look for something we know exactly where it is instead of crawling around on our knees looking for it. You are so right about it being a challenge.

      Delete