Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Easter Preparations

Easter 1970 - my first one (me in the middle) and our first in Canada
I have been continuing to purge and clean, this year's Spring cleaning unlike any other.  I came across this old photo of Mom, my sister (I don't talk about her as I don't get along with her) and me.  I was born in August 1969.  We moved to Canada in January 1970 from the USA and this would have been late March as Easter was early that year.  I still remember that old toybox in the bottom left of the picture.  Easter always meant a small toy, usually home made (I think Mom made that stuffed rabbit in the background, she used to sew), and some chocolate.  When I was older we always coloured eggs and hid them inside if the weather was crappy and outside if the weather was good.


Easter preps this year involve taking out the turkey on Friday (bought at .99 a pound) and having Mom over for a feast on Sunday.  I invited my friend as well but she unfortunately has to work.

I managed to file our taxes in Turbotax - apparently if you input income ie dividends in the wrong area and then try to change it later it may not be possible.  You have to start over - pain in the tuckus.  I even called them and determined that starting over was my only option.  So, anyway, it is filed and between the two of us we get back about $280.  We always figure out our taxes in January so we have time to purchase RRSPs to ensure we don't need to pay additional income tax so I knew we were getting back some money, just not exactly how much.  This likely will go into the medical fund as it needs topping up.

I am having a hard time working on company business these days - I have two large projects with no deadlines.  Maybe I work better with deadlines but I am going to slot off several hours to work on our new website on Friday which is one of the projects.  Instead my mind is whirling about what to clean and purge next in the house lol.

We are on a stage 4 water restriction - which means zero water use unless absolutely necessary.  They even have several businesses that have been unable to use water ie window washers, dog groomers and car washes - I feel for them as there was only 2 weeks advance warning.  This is due to an underwater pipe breaking in December and the repair happening this week.  They have had to funnel all water through one smaller pipe for two entire towns (Courtenay and Comox) and are worried that there will be no pressure for fire fighting without the water restriction.  It is for only 10 days but I am trying to do my part to conserve water so since the restriction went on which was Friday I haven't done any laundry.  Likely I can get away with a single load the entire 10 days.  I will hold off on washing towels until the restriction is off. I am holding off on planting more flowers until the restriction is off as can't water them unless it is with rainwater.

I purged our spare bedroom closet.  I wanted it to look decent and for guests to actually be able to hang clothes if necessary.  This has been accomplished.  I can't completely remove this stuff as we use it all the time.  That bag of shredding has to go somewhere as we shred 100 percent of our corporate documents for privacy reasons of our clients.  It only gets picked up every 2 weeks.    Anyway, it is much better.  Many boxes were taken to the recycling centre.  Some items were purged to give away and some sold.  Part of the reason I dislike Marie Kondo is that she says only keep things that give you joy.  Well, facts of life indicate sometimes you need to keep crap that doesn't give you joy.  Plus - I just find her super annoying.  I do get the whole wanting to get organized thing though and I think she's helped a lot of people.  My best friend watched her video on Netflix then asked me over to help purge her closet.  We hauled out 2 full bags to go to the thrift store and got her a little bit organized.
Before - behold the terrifying spare room closet
After - Order has been restored 
I am going to put some hangers in here to remind myself that it needs to stay this way.  The closet does need a coat of paint as is scuffed and scratched so maybe Hubby and I will tackle that this weekend.  The room needs a coat of paint too but that will have to happen after our carpet is changed out.

Ok, Happy Easter for all those who celebrate and for those that don't - enjoy your long weekend!




29 comments:

  1. We don't have a long weekend, but we don't have kids activities due to the holiday + spring break. As a result, we'll have a relaxing time. Looking forward to it!

    My parents are in town this week, so on Friday, my mom will do an Easter egg hunt for the kids. That will be the limit of our festivities, but we will spend time together, & I'll likely make a nicer than normal dinner on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your time with your parents and relaxation!

      Delete
  2. I HATE Marie Kondo -- life should be centered around throwing things away. What a waste!

    You are making a lot of good progress with your efforts, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I feel like I am making progress we come across something else....a never ending job I am afraid but no more hoarding of useless stuff for us. We need to deal with things rather than storing them.

      Delete
  3. You are such a busy bee! I like seeing the old photograph!
    Easter will be different for us this year as we are in the country doing critter duty. Next year I will return to all my traditions....
    We won't even get started on all my debris....but I do so love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you love it then keep it up! Happy Easter

      Delete
  4. Not sure we are doing for Easter.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I detest Marie Kondo - no wonder the world's in such a state with so much good stuff being thrown away - the charity shops can't deal with it and it's flooding Third World Countries - awful.
    Love the photo of you, your Mum and sister. Hope you enjoy your long weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are flakes. I hate fads, the reason why so many items are thrown out. I find the best clothes in thrift shops, far better than I can order online or find in my town. But I guess this is a throw away world now with the refugee situation and such, so many don't give a damn

      Delete
  6. I am 1/3 done with my closet. It is such a boring task that I am as slow as a snail. Keep finding all sorts of excuses. So glad, I did not dump everything on the bed like Marie Kondo says. I also agree with Mrs. Murphy. Rather than being wasteful, I set aside things that I can use for later use. I only give away things that I know will not fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being wasteful is a huge no no in my books. Like you we try and use our resources to the maximum. I refuse to throw out anything that has life left, there is always a way to give it away

      Delete
  7. I'm on the fence about Marie Kondo. She put out a Manga style book that I bought for my daughter which I thought was cute and hopefully helpful to her as she prepares to go off on her new life adventure. My next door neighbor pulled out all her clothes and piled them on the bed like on the TV show. She was really stressed out after that. Not sure if she took the next step. I don't want to get involved. lol We are planning on making Easter bread today while my friend is here so she can enjoy some of our family tradition before she leaves tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, best not to get involved in others stuff (unless they are a really good friend :)) Oooh Easter Bread - I am jealous!

      Delete
  8. I love that Easter photo! As for the closet, you call that before picture terrifying. You ain’t seen nothin’!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take a before shot of our master closet just for that reason :)

      Delete
  9. You have been a busy bee! Hope you enjoy your Easter meal with your mom.
    I love/hate Kondo's methods. I have been putting my own spin on her methods. I have accumulated many things that i have gas no longer serve any purpose, though the love or bring me joy thing does not really factor into any decision to keep or toss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, her methods are a little mad. I don't believe in throwing out perfectly good items so it is a job in itself to recycle/gift them/sell them. Sometimes I just want it gone but it takes time.

      Delete
  10. I was interested to read about your family moving to Canada from the U.S. I usually read about Canadians who move here (for jobs). I'd love to live in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living in Canada, am so glad we moved here and I have gotten to live my whole life here. It is a wonderful place

      Delete
  11. I agree that Marie Kondo's tips are useful sometimes but go too far. I wouldn't want to live in her world.

    Your memories of Easter are similar to mine (and I don't get along with my sister either) except mom sewed us new clothes rather than toys, but there was always a bit of chocolate or colored Easter eggs. And lots of egg salad sandwiches.

    I hope the water restrictions are lifted soon. Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restrictions should be off on Monday as long as the repair is done, so far I've only seen one update and they said they were "on track"

      Delete
  12. I only recently heard mention of this Kondo person, don't think I want to learn more. We are always cleaning out as we leaving for the winter or when we return. Mostly things that don't fit or that we no longer wear. Fortunately we built a huge crawl space under the house so have a lot of space to store 'stuff' that we are not ready to part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like our crawlspace too - we just have to be careful about keeping things we will never use again, both of us are guilty of that.

      Delete
  13. Crikey, if I followed Marie Kondo's advice and dumped everything on my bed I'm sure the floor would fall through. I started reading her book but couldn't be doing with it (that's probably why I still have TONS of decluttering to do though)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone swallows what she dishes out. She has made a ton of money though based on peoples clutter.

      Delete
  14. I'm not overly familiar with Marie Kondo, but do prefer living a minimalistic lifestyle. I do so partly because it is less I have to take care of and partly because I don't want my kids to have to deal with extra stuff when it comes my time to depart this earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to think - I think I have that in the back of my mind too. The kids (4 from my husbands previous marriage) don't want our crap and neither will they likely want to deal with it. Better for us not to have to complain about the lack of storage and just keep only what we use every day

      Delete
  15. I despise Marie Kondo. She even has a method for folding socks and other clothing. Sorry, my folding works for me. And, I am not getting rid of things she would.

    ReplyDelete