Sunday, December 6, 2020

Some Cheer Light Style

 

So this week one day about 5pm this showed up on my street - a highly decorated dump truck and trailer holding a tree.  This was part of a "truck light parade" that our towns have had for many years which of course was canceled due to covid.  As the parade was a huge way our local food bank raised money by collecting cash and donations there this year one truck and trailer are traveling around different neighborhoods and honking, spreading cheer so people can come out and see it.  They were suggesting money be sent directly to the food bank and they were collecting cash with a bucket at the end of a long hockey stick (Canadian Covid appliance lol) but were unable to collect actual food donations due to handling/storage issues.  They recommended those be driven straight to the food bank.  By Thursday they had raised $7000 after just a few nights!  We've already made our annual contribution to the food bank but it was so nice to see such spirit in our neighborhoods.  

Saturday night we went over to Mom's and helped her put up her tree.  Then we drove around looking at Christmas lights.  Since we weren't walking it was hard to take good moving pictures of the lights but you will get the idea.  Lots of people have gone way over the top with lights this year.  I am sure in the next two weeks we will go out again closer to our own neighborhood.  They were very pretty.



For the first year ever, and apparently planned over a year ago, 19 wing Comox which is our airforce base has a light display on some of their old decommissioned aircraft that is part of their closed military museum (temporarily due to Covid).  There is a fence and these are next to the road so you can drive by.  A few people were out of their vehicles (with and without masks) but we stayed in.  What a great idea and what a great year to decorate them.  
The one below is a rescue helicopter.  Comox has the rescue operations for the Pacific Coast including Vancouver so we see these rescue helicopters flying overhead all the time.  Sometimes they are rescuing hikers, sometimes rescuing sailers.
And finally my psychedelic light picture.  I didn't take my good camera so all these were taken with my phone (I forgot but intended to take better pictures).  It is a tree with lights but looks like something out of star wars.

I managed to win an auction last light for one more piece for my vintage Christmas collection which hasn't been added to since last year.  I overpaid a little (not according to ebay but according to my standards) but you buy things when you see them.  Here is the auction picture:


It is a little made in Japan 1960s music box that plays silent night.  And it still works.  I love it and bid in the last 10 seconds in order to win it for $14.  We've got to go pick it up tomorrow but I've bought from this person before so have no worries.  It is all contactless (bins and jars for money) and safe and she is reputable.

That's all I've got.  Today will be a quiet Sunday.  I hope everyone else is able to get out and look at some lights depending on the lockdown status in your area.  It really is good for the soul.



32 comments:

  1. I never realized there were so many wings in the Air Force. Makes sense though. I was born in four wing and my dad left the Air Force when I was eight years old. The lights are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing of the airforce lol but the display was lovely and it was so nice for our military to do something like this as they never have before

      Delete
  2. We live near 8 Wing (Trenton Air Base). I will have to see if they are doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were surprised but what better year to do it. I wonder if they will do it every year now, either way, it came at a perfect time.

      Delete
  3. That is a nice Christmas display. Congrats on the win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We really enjoyed driving around and looking at the lights.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a wonderful sight to behold in front of your house. Talk about spreading Christmas cheer! I love it! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what the honking was all about until I got out into the street - really good idea for kids and raising money.

      Delete
  5. I love the plane and your psychedelic photo! We hope to get out and see some lights soon. Apparently many homes are super decked out around my area. A quiet Sunday is my favorite kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights are literally my favorite part of Christmas (and my glass vintage ornaments). It was great - I could see us doing more of that in the next two weeks

      Delete
  6. It is lovely looking at all the lights. People are definitely going all out. It cheers up the whole neighbourhood. I have to think it is done as a gift for others. The goodness in people has not be worn down which is very heartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know more people in our street are decorating this year than before. We had our lights up super early (not on, just up) and usually we wait until about now lol

      Delete
  7. I was at my daughter's this weekend for a couple of days, and on Friday night we went out to look at the lights with little Eli. On the way home we saw the OK Tire truck all lit up with a tree and a few people on a trailer behind. They were playing Christmas music and will be doing a tour through town every Friday evening. Such a treat!

    I have never bought anything through FB Marketplace, perhaps I need to start looking to see what's there. For now it's been the crafting videos that have caught my attention. That little piece you bought is adorable.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marketplace is ok but the bidding site is better as you get kicked out if you don't comply with pickup rules (within certain period of time)

      Delete
  8. The lights are lovely. I do enjoy lights at Christmas, more than all those blow up things.

    Played Secret Santa again today, and actually have a plan to do so at a seniors residence tomorrow or on Tuesday. I am having too much fun doing this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is as a nice post to read and view. So festive! Your new piece is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really wanted to add at least one piece this year and it has driven me crazy not to visit the thrift stores right now for finding vintage treasure

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. No, definitely not Hummel although looks a bit like it. Definitely made in Japan, they did good work on Christmas bits back then

      Delete
  11. I like "all you've got" for today. Nice way to start my Monday. I especially love the decorated aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aircraft are always a neat area to look at even in summer but with the light - it was beautiful

      Delete
  12. It's just lovely to see all those lights. I guess people still believe in a better future - and I'm right there with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People need to believe in something. Things do seem to hopefully be looking up with vaccines and life

      Delete
  13. Your island really knows how to do Xmas! I love the food bank collection truck. I bet it's a joy to wander about on a cold night!
    I've probably already told you that my Dad was in the Canadian Air Force, lovely to see that plane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I don't recall knowing that (or I just forgot sorry). That is very cool! I know our base was around during wwII as while kayaking hubby and I found a huge area of cement where they used the coast to hide boats and people - they covered them with camo tarps. Yes, it gets so dark here people go all out with lights in winter

      Delete
  14. The light displays are wonderful. So glad that going out to see them is totally "contact free" and so cheerful. I love the adorable music box. I too collect vintage Christmas and it's great when we find a treasure to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lights is one of the few contactless activities perfectly safe for people like me. I am sure we will do it again soon. Usually I prowl the thrift stores this time of year for vintage christmas finds but that didn't work out. Maybe next year

      Delete
  15. Such an up lifting post complete with lots of holiday lights. Hopefully the Comox base will make the lights an annual tradition. Great score on the music box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music box is so much better - it plays silent night and is in very good condition. So glad I found it

      Delete
  16. I love seeing all the Christmas spirit there, not much at all around my area that I've seen. Congrats on your auction score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many have lights up this year, so very pretty

      Delete