Saturday, May 16, 2020

More Projects

 My peas are doing really well, hopefully by mid June there will be actual peas growing on them.  The 2 taller ones were grown from seed inside, next year I will skip that as they do so well right in the ground if planted early enough  (end of April).

Last week in addition to doing numerous hours of yardwork ripping out grass and weeds after our edging was done I also painted above the cabinets.  This is not easy.  I had to actually stand on the counter to do it.  Yesterday I scrubbed the tops of the cupboards (gross! dust and cooking grease?  scum) and then laid down newspaper so I never have to do that job again, just change the newspaper.  I put all of the Mexican pottery back up and added our Mexican wooden turned bowl that we bought in Zihuatanejo last year.  I don't think I've ever shown it but it's got vibrant fish inside and out.  There is still room for  a few more pieces up there so I can continue collecting.



It is raining today - and we intend to have a mostly lazy day as a result.  I am actually happy about the weather, more people will behave here if the weather is lousy on a long weekend.  That and we've got the yard work we needed to get to done for several more days completed.  This evening's menu is homemade fettucini alfredo.  We haven't made pasta for a while and are craving homemade pasta.  I use a McCormicks alfredo sauce mix as when I've made it from scratch it is way too rich.  This one is just right.  It is a two-person job (at least at our house) to make pasta and takes 1-2 hours so we are starting early.  We've never had much luck at freezing homemade pasta, last time it just stuck to itself into a congealed glob when we went to cook it after unthawing.  Does anyone else have luck freezing homemade pasta?

I've just placed my online grocery order.  Last time I was missing 9 items when I picked it up.  I still go to other stores that are safer but unfortunately, they are more expensive so I still place an order with basics like canned goods at Superstore who is still offering to shop for us with no additional surcharge.  I still feel like they wouldn't be good at social distancing inside so for now will continue to order online.  

It does feel like hubby and I are the only ones wearing masks here when we go out, except maybe at Costco where more people seem to do it as well as the staff (not mandatory here like in the USA).  We started our social bubble last night and had Mom over for supper, BBQ steak.  We also showed her our new patio and furniture as she has seen none of it.  I think it was nice for her to get out of the house.  She told us she does miss in-person grocery shopping but realizes the current experience is nothing like the last time she went shopping at the very beginning of March.  

Tonight will be our usual Saturday night old Svengoolie horror movie.  We are addicted to these movies from the 1930s-40s, likely Dracula's daughter will be shown.  Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe!

18 comments:

  1. Hi, great idea after cleaning - add newspaper to the tops of cupboards before putting things back - I am going to copy your idea asap, after I get my tall stepladder out etc. and washing the bowls and large decorations - now you have giving me an idea for a post! Plus your idea has given me a shot of energy. Thank you.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, my Mom's cleaning lady did that at her house, great idea. Plus mine has a 1/2 inch lip so you'd never see it, in fact I have to put everything on little pieces of wood up there so you can see over the lip. Hugs back :)

      Delete
  2. When I had my cabinets installed, the guy wanted to fill in that area, but I liked it open. I had old bowls, and other kitchen items, along with antique vases, the old picnic basket, and several candelabras. Oh, and a collection of A&W Root Beer Mugs. I loved the area. When I could clean and vacuum it myself, I did. Finally, I had a cleaner put down shelf paper, white. There was no lip, so it would have showed if it were not back about a half inch. It was actually smooth enough it could be dusted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it has a lip, but shelf paper would have worked well. The shelf hides the fact that all the plate holders are different shapes and sizes, bought at the thrift store of course :)

      Delete
    2. When I read this first, I did not think about the fact that I had no plates to display and was puzzled at what you were being able to hide or not see.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea for the cupboards...I have lots of flyers that I'd saved for packing so I'll use that. Thanks for sharing that idea.

    It's wonderful you were able to spend some time with your mom. I'm sure she was ready for an outing after being at home for so long.

    Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you too! Yeah, I thought that was a great idea, heard about it several months ago but painting was the catalyst. Home renos seem to lead to other things, don't they?

      Delete
  4. Masks aren't mandatory here yet, except on public transport. I love the fish bowl, and cleaning on top of the cabinets is a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks aren't mandatory but they are recommending them in stores and I made them so we are wearing them. Not outside though

      Delete
  5. Hope you had a fun movie night and well done on the cleaning of the uppers. I ripped all my upper cupboards out awhile ago and never shall they return. It's wonderful. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had nothing there for the longest time but then started collecting Mexican pottery, then I realized how horrible it was up there. It was a rotten job, kind of like cleaning the oven. Cheers back :)

      Delete
  6. I'd love to do the newspaper tip, but we have vaulted ceilings so it would be seen from the upstairs landing. After my incredibly high grocery trip yesterday, I may need to mix in Aldi again. I think I paid 50% more overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after my last month expensive grocery trips I am trying to reign it in now, difficult when the safer stores are the expensive ones. I still wish we had Aldi though

      Delete
  7. Freaky, a friend who commented on my blog yesterday said she did the same thing with tea towels, such a great idea!
    Your peas are looking lush and I love your Mexican pottery.
    Hope you enjoyed your homemade pasta and movies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is weird but I guess we are all cleaning spaces that have been long-forgotten. We get a free paper otherwise I would have had to use something else

      Delete
  8. So happy for you and your Mom to be in the same room together. Did you hug her?

    I planted my peas April 13 and they are not as high as yours but we have had very little sun. I spoke with a gardener today and he said the reason all the plants look bad ( especially our tomatoes ) is because the ground as well as the weather is cool.

    Great idea re the newspaper on top of the cupboards. We have the same space atop the cupboards with a lip but don't put anything up there. I like it open but will use the newspaper idea next time we clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't hug her but I wanted to. I am not doing that for a while, but it was nice to be able to visit like normal. I admit to not cleaning up there before, I didn't have anything up there until a year ago then when I put the plates up there it was temporary.....just to see how it would look.

      Delete
  9. Hm, I did make a comment on they post, guess it got lost in cyber space.

    Brilliant idea with the newspaper on top of the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete