Sunday, May 17, 2020

Money on the Side

This year is going to be a super challenging year for money on the side.  I can't buy things for resale right now so I can only offload what we already need to get rid of.  After our massive purge and reorganization of the entire house last year when we first thought we were selling then instead decided to stay permanently in this house, there isn't a lot left to purge.

As we've now bought new lounge chairs and umbrella it was time for those to go.  Last year when hubby's lounge chair broke we bought a "temporary" replacement as knew 2020 was the year of the big investment in yard furniture and makeover.  We bought this plastic chair for $10 on our Facebook bidding site.  The faded cushion is several years old.  I sold it as a combo last weekend for $30!



We both really liked this umbrella and super heavy duty stand also bought on the Facebook bidding site for last year for $32except this year we bought a huge cantilever umbrella that goes both over our fire table sitting area and our sun loungers.  I managed to resell it this year for $62 - a profit of $30!  It was in almost the same shape as when we bought it and the new owners were happy.  It seems everyone is beautifying their back yards this year.  Everything with the buyers were contactless - that is the nice part of being in a selling/buying group that is private.  If you screw up they kick you out.  The first couple etransfered the money to me and we set it outside our door.  The second person slipped $30 under the door mat (now disinfected money).  We had planned our back yard redo really as an outdoor room so invested the most we've ever spent on patio furniture and such.  It was worth it.  If we knew the pandemic had been coming we might not have done it but we are so so glad we have it done now and can enjoy it.  

Last night was homemade pasta night.  This is about the 6th time we've made pasta since we bought the machine before our trip to Italy in 2018.  We now know a bunch of things (like don't use cold eggs, warm them up in water a bit first) and exactly how long to knead the dough.  It turned out basically perfect, the best we've ever achieved.  Fresh pasta really only needs to cook for 90 seconds so all the time is in the making, not cooking.  Next time I think we are going to make lasagna noodles and make a big fresh lasagna.  This time there wasn't even flour all over the kitchen!  Made with a little sauteed chicken and spice and alfredo sauce.  


 And finally, we were watching Dracula's daughter (1936) and hubby was eating chips.  Buddy loves chips but I have vetoed him being fed chips (because Mom says).  Buddy sat and stared at hubby like this until they were all gone.  He is a persistent little bugger.  He only begs because hubby often shares with him. And yes, we have a tv in the bedroom :).

Today is rain again.  We need to clean two rooms of carpet, it hasn't been done since we installed it new last summer and Buddy has had a lot of mud "incidents" lately with all the new dirt in the yard right now.  It should only take a half hour at the most, it is so nice to own a carpet cleaner that we shift between Mom and our house.  I already have the solution so zero expense.  Tonight is weenie and bean night with corn on the cob - hubby requested this dinner again and since it is super easy I was fine with obliging.

27 comments:

  1. My hubby feeds our Zoey pretzels and crackers sometimes, so I know that dog face well. lol Your pasta is beautiful! I only made fresh pasta once when I was helping a friend make home made ravioli. It was the best ravioli I ever had, but it was sooo much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy loves pretzels! I make hubby suck the salt off first, he gets a couple of them then

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great patio and looks like a space I would love. That is a funny and cute picture of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is sweetness and light every day (especially when chips are involved)

      Delete
  3. >ver since we're sheltering-at-home, I have had to cook every night. I have wanted to try pasta making forever. I just might have to try. Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've definitely gotten better at it. Avoid all recipes who say to put it in fridge. Use warm eggs. Once you've made the dough and kneaded it let it rest for 30 minutes under plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out. The rest is easy!

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of people are working on their yards because they'll be spending much of their summers in them. Good work on the re-sale of the patio furniture.

    I can't imagine making fresh pasta - especially since I don't have the proper machine but I also know how much work goes into it.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yard work is where it is at - also good for a workout (as you will see from today's post)

      Delete
  5. Good product turn-over! And that pasta. We had a pasta machine in the '80s. Never had a successful product and finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta maker we bought is easy to use, straight from Italy. We have to turn the handle but it really is pretty easy once we got the hang of it. I am not sure about the ones from the 1980s. I thought we wouldn't use it very much and we usually only do it every few months but nice to have, especially right now when our cooking at home is what is required.

      Delete
    2. It was pretty comical. The first time SG tried, the pasta simply never cooked. He was told he had kneaded it too much. Next failure, he didn't knead it enough. Next failure, too much flour. Next failure, not enough. Next, cooked too long. Next, not cooked long enough. We boxed it up and brought it to the thrift shop!

      Delete
    3. P.S. Also straight from Italy... in 1982.

      Delete
    4. Lol. Hubby overcooks all pasta so I am in charge of that part

      Delete
  6. Go you on the fresh pasta. Nothing beats it. I grew up on it only we called it, tészta _ super fun. Happy Almost summer. Love that you got rid of so much stuff. We did that in 2016 and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you are Hungarian? Yes, we purged so much last year then bought organizers to ensure we can stay in this house which is smaller than we wanted. It worked. Now we both say we will never move - but I am super careful about making sure we don't collect things we will never use again.

      Delete
  7. Buddy's face! How can you say no?
    That parasol is lovely, glad you got double your cash back.
    The pasta looks very professional! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except hubby feeds him treats and shares all day then he doesn't want his regular food so I had to veto certain things. The pasta was great - we couldn't believe how well it turned out. Apparently practicing helps.

      Delete
  8. My neighbour's dog used to "casually" wander over to my back terrace if I was sitting out there having lunch and "casually" plonk his head down on my knee, very nonchalantly with that exact same look on his face. I don't want a dog but I have to admit he was sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a big dog lover, in fact love cats who are much more low maintenance but hubby loves dogs and is allergic to them at the same time so after several hamsters with very short lives we decided we needed a pet both of us could love. Buddy is amazing, yes, high maintenance but gives us happiness every day. Right now he is helping my mental health big time.

      Delete
  9. Great work on the sales! I've continued to find things to sell out of our house, even when I'm 100% sure I'm done with everything! :-) Clutter grows, I swear.

    Awesome job with the pasta. I've never tried it before, but yours looks delicious.

    Tonight I'm making a chicken rice skillet bake that my non picky child & I will eat. My husband will make salmon, because he can't eat rice. My picky child is on his own, and will find something in the fridge, or make his own meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a picky eater like that and like you eventually said - you need to feed yourself then (and real food not crap). It sort of worked. Took some pickiness out and she also learned how to cook.

      Delete
  10. I think that you did the right thing investing money in your patio. After all you have no where you can go this summer so enjoy your yard and patio. Good resale deals. Love, love fresh pasta as served in Italy but I will never be making it at home. Good for you both to share that kitchen project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought we would make our own pasta either but it is very good, definitely more like Italy. Can you believe I actually got sick of eating pasta every day in Italy? :)

      Delete
  11. Somehow your post today was very comforting...just chatting with friends. I needed that, while trying to figure out several problems/dilemmas here. Nothing serious -- just things that have to be resolved.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading others blogs for the same reason. The news is terrible but blogs are different, just how people are making it through these days.

      Delete
  12. I have thought about a pasta maker. Of course now there is no second hand shopping opportunity for that. I've read that there is a pasta shortage and am beginning to notice that in the stores.

    One of may favorite restaurants makes a ravioli of the day. Rather than regular one inch type of sizes, they do one big square and they bake it. Maybe you can try that since I can't make it myself???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did talk about ravioli too as the attachments we have does spaghetti, fettucini and flat dough like for lasagna but we can cut the dough into circles/squares manually (we have a perogie cutter for circles) so could also potentially make ravioli. Not sure when we will next experiment but will take pictures :)

      Delete