Sunday, May 12, 2019

Beautiful Week


View from Seal Bay Park, Comox
 Last Sunday we took Buddy for a short hike through the rain forest, there is a neat park called Seal Bay Park that ends at the bottom of the hill at the ocean.  The tide was way out - and there were lots of little tiny sand crabs about.  The one below looks big in the picture (if you can spot him, great camouflage) but he was the size of a quarter. 

 Then we went to the marina - and spotted this much larger crab prowling the sea floor.  He is the size of a dinner plate.  We have had the best weather this week, but things are already tinder dry and forest fires are starting so we are looking forward to some rain in the forecast this week.

We took Mom out for Mother's Day brunch today - then went and picked up our latest Facebook bidding site win - for $32 we bought this umbrella and stand.  It is almost as new - around a $150 value.  Our back patio gets hot and this will help us stay out longer.  We really didn't want to invest too much this year as are redoing the patio next year including furniture - but this is in such good shape it is likely we won't need to buy a new one for a couple of years.  The umbrella looked faded in the selling picture but in real life it is not.  It sounds like the prior owners barely used it for one season.


That cover that is draped over the hot tub is a second cover.  Our original hot tub cover dry rotted from sun - so now we have a cover for the cover.  Hot tub covers aren't cheap to replace ($500 for this one) so we want to make sure the second cover lasts longer than the first did.  When we have company we take it off but it is protected the rest of the time.

Has anyone tried selling on Facebook Marketplace?  My experience has been not good with buying things there (different from our bidding site where there are rules) but I've listed a couple more expensive things on Marketplace today to see if I can get them sold.  

Buddy's stomach bug is back, we were supposed to go out for pizza last night with my best friend but couldn't leave the house due to his tummy being off.  Today he didn't want to eat but I've made him some rice and he ate that so hopefully he will start to get better.  We felt safe enough to leave him for an hour and a half when we took Mom out and he was ok.  If this keeps up I will have the vet do tests on him.  I still think he just has a bit of a delicate stomach and since he is one of those dogs who likes eating weeds and grass sometimes that habit "bites him in the ass" so to speak.  That or one of the shots he got on Wednesday didn't agree with him.  Anyway, we are once again trying to get him back to full health.  

Other than that life is traipsing along at a good pace.  I am still full from our brunch today so it looks like supper might just be a "fend for yourself when hungry" meal.  Have a great week everyone!

21 comments:

  1. I sold one thing on Facebook Marketplace. The sale went fine, but hubby had a terrible experience with trying to buy a motor for his bike. A couple of sellers never got back to him to arrange pickup after he thought the items were his. He was really mad about it. He pretty much lives to scroll through Marketplace though. lol Apparently a lot of men do. So sorry Buddy isn't feeling well again. I hope he bounces back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby had a similar experience to your hubby. I keep getting people wanting me to ship - um, no! Scamorama

      Delete
  2. Great umbrella! And beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forest fire season will soon be upon us as well here in northern Ontario, sad reality of summer, I have bought from Facebook but I also had a couple of not so good experiences, but it didn’t stop me, I have never sold anything myself though. You got a great buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - we were looking for a new one so when we saw exactly what we wanted we jumped on it and made sure to win the auction. I love buying used, so many bargains.

      Delete
  4. I sell a few things there & there on FB, but have never bought anything. I've had mixed success selling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have one lady coming to look at something this evening - hopefully she shows, the biggest problem with reselling. Not usually an issue with our bidding site as if you don't show you get kicked out of the group

      Delete
  5. I think the umbrella was a great find.
    I used FB markets to outfit our lake place with the exception of mattresses. I had decided I wanted to spend less than 2000 dollars to furnish a house with 2 dens, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. I managed to pick up things at unbelievable prices, (excluding a huge amount of elbow grease and time to refurbish said items) At my final total I overspent by 37 dollars and my haul? 2 couches, 4 upholstered chairs, table and 4 chairs, 6 side tables, 2 desks and chairs, 3 dressers, 3 night stands, several lamps, cookware, trundle beds with mattresses (I knew the people I bought from and felt comfortable buying them since they are used for lake guests and occasional sleeping) and 5 side tables.
    I have not had as much luck selling things though. Like you said people say they want to meet and then they are no shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously that's awesome! One of these days you will have to share pictures of your lake place

      Delete
  6. Poor Buddy - I hope he's back to his usual cheeky self very soon.
    Hot tub? That's very fancy!
    I've bought from Marketplace with no problems but friends have said it's a pain to sell on there - so many timewasters. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I posted this I have sold one item and have another lady who is coming tomorrow. It does seem to reach those who are not part of our bidding site so I will probably continue to use the bidding site first, marketplace 2nd, or on higher priced items. Buddy is slowly getting better - eating and drinking and we took him for a long walk last night. I hate it when he's sick!

      Delete
  7. You live in such a beautiful area. Great deal on the umbrella and stand. Sorry to hear about Buddy's tummy. Hopefully the rice will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice does help, luckily he loves rice so when he wouldn't eat anything else he ate a little rice. He actually had 2 meals yesterday and was hungry last night when he smelled pork chops in the slow cooker. Fingers crossed he is done with the bug.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe you are already looking at forest fires. We have had nothing but rain - absolutely bucketing down. And yes you do live in a beautiful place! Lovely. I hope Buddy is doing better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a dryer winter than normal even though we got snow, we didn't get nearly as much rain as we normally do. It usually rains Nov Dec Jan. We maybe had a couple of weeks of rain and the rest were dry. Buddy's a little better. Ate two meals (rice/meat) yesterday. Still not 100% but getting there

      Delete
  9. I've never sold or bought anything on FB though a previous co-worker got herself banned because she was selling banned items. Mostly kid stuff, which I assume is a no-no due to the safety requirements.

    You got a heck of a deal on the umbrella and stand, well done!

    Sigh...I hope to someday have the scenic views you have. With the long weekend coming up I don't expect to see too many people being out house hunting. They're more likely to be gardening or at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have the scenic views, sometimes things don't come as fast as we would like but it will happen!

      Delete
  10. Like you, I am the queen of covering a cover with another cover. Hey, can you eat those crabs?

    Can I give you a suggestion for Buddy? There could be something up with his food. Entire large lots of manufactured foods have been known to be spoiled by unseen mold, etc. Or even an allergic reaction.

    I attended a canine immunology seminar with a vet who pioneered in the field (first female to attend the University at Guelph). Her formula is simple: equal parts sweet and white potato, and equal parts (to the potato) white fish a couple of tablespoons of EVOO, oregano and basil. You can boil it in water or do a crockpot. If his problems go away, there is a chance it was a food reaction. Wellness brand makes a white fish and potato blend that many dogs with sensitive digestive tracts do well on. If you google Dr. Jean Dodd's Pet Health Resource blog, you'll find a lot of great information!

    Just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will try it. He seems to be back to health again, but am sure it will arise again so I will keep this in mind.

      Delete
  11. I thought Marketplace linked to our local Powell River Shop and Swap site because I see many of the same posts. I'll have to look more carefully. - Margy

    ReplyDelete