Friday, June 5, 2020

Things Are Happening

Rather than get into my health issues again in great detail suffice it to say I have seen the Dr in person after a telephone interview, have new medication, underwent some tests today and will do more this coming week.  Hopefully things improve soon.  I am working on it.  

In the mean time things are happening in my minigarden.  My grown from seed cucumbers are doing well, I even see the first bloom!  
The strawberries are ripening, 6 so far and they are nice and sweet.  And yes, I can fortunately eat those.
The peas are blooming and 2 days later this happens - a pea forms already.  I love growing peas, they do so well in a moderate climate. 

It has been rainy today and appears to be that way for a few days.  Hubby just went and ran our deposit bottles to the recycle centre.  They opened a few weeks ago but we waited until the first crush was over.  Not wanting to attempt going there on the weekend he took some time out of his business day.  Unfortunately, it is raining and all bottle sorting is done outside now so he got soaked!  But we have $20 more for our fun fund which is now going for a 3 night cabin getaway on a nearby island that I've booked through Air BNB for mid August.  It is a single room modest secluded cabin right on the beach on the ocean and we will take our own bedding and cooking utensils/groceries/dishes.  It should be relatively easy to disinfect.  BC is not open to tourism likely for several more months except to BCers traveling within our own Province.  We have zero new cases of Covid on Vancouver Island and haven't had any for over 3 weeks so these smaller islands that are dependent on some tourism will likely be glad for it.  I can cancel and get a full refund up to 2 weeks prior if things are not safe or if my health is not good enough (it better be good enough by then).

I had to go to the hospital today to get blood taken as some of our labs are still closed, and it was way less weird than going to the dentist the other day.  They had security guards and protocols in place but it was quick and organized and civilized.  I don't think it is that way in every city as there are still plenty of Covid cases in Canada in other Provinces but ours are steadily declining.  People should feel safe going to the hospital if they need to.  Almost everything has reopened here now including schools (*BC is the only Province in Canada that has had schools opened, if I understand correctly the rest are shut until September and doing online learning only) although it was entirely up to parents if they wanted to send their kids back. Only about 15% did as the school year is over in 3 weeks anyway, I think they only opened as a test run for September as summer school is canceled as well and I think they are just giving all kids a pass no matter what.  A very odd year for everyone.  The lab technician said that more labs will open after they see if there is a 2nd wave.  Bloody hell, hopefully, there is a vaccine soon!

Have a good weekend everyone - and be safe!

25 comments:

  1. Progress! Looking forward to good news (but not as much as you are)! There's something magical to me about food growing in the garden. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got so freaking happy to see an actual pea growing lol. Cheap thrills here all around

      Delete
  2. Miss, I am hoping there isn't a second round of covid...but worry with all the protesting people getting so close and many without masks. Yikes. I was upset for you about your tooth. I would like for you to do a write up when you get over all the sickness that root canal caused. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I am truly hoping the tooth issue is through and all that is left is a crown in a few months. The Dentist said give it a couple of weeks and we should know. His hands were tied and honestly I understand the position he was in. Whatever will be will be at this point

      Delete
  3. Three squash blossom made me supremely happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how growing things is such a positive experience! No matter how bad I feel I drag my butt out there and water every day

      Delete
  4. Our garden is a bit behind yours, but the weather has been hot so hopefully things will be popping very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've not had much warm weather but things are still growing thankfully. We could use more sunshine!

      Delete
  5. I hope the new medicine helps with the pain, and that you are feeling better soon.
    It's so exciting to see the new growth! I've got peas up but they are only about an inch or two, not yet ready to start producing anything.
    Your visit to the island sounds perfect! A friend suggested going to the local hot springs here in Saskatchewan in the fall. Hopefully it will be safe to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so amazing how fast peas grow. The ones I started from seed in the house are taller but the ones I planted in the ground are almost the same! Next year all into the ground and hubby is building me another growing box so maybe even more peas

      Delete
  6. I'm, glad to hear that you managed to speak to a doctor, hoping that you'll be feeling much better very soon.
    How exciting is all that new growth in your garden? The strawberries look wonderful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love strawberries and the fact they keep blooming all summer (these are everbearing) and reproduce into new plants all the time. The ones I put in the actual strawberry pots are doing well too!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry you're till not getting the relief. There are little positive signs of medical care being more available outside emergencies, but understand the cautiousness. Your little garden looks fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things are paying off in the garden. Last year was the first year I had peas and I only bought 6 little starter pea plants. Next year just a packet of pea seeds, they glow so freaking easily and fast!

      Delete
  8. We have lots of cucumber blossoms this year, and our plant has spread out so far beyond the pot, it's everywhere! I have to be careful not to trip on it when I water the plant. Super excited for lots of cucumbers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Especially with a family of four to feed, cucumbers are so handy and lovely. We eat a ton of them (one of hubby's favorite food groups)

      Delete
  9. I am so envious of that single pea. Nothing here yet but the cucumber in the pot is doing very well, not so much those in the garden. So glad you actually sae a doctor and started on the tests. Here's hoping that you will be getting more relief every day. That August mini vacation sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Dr was very quick to get me in which was nice and totally took me serious. Now all the symptoms of the last 2 months make more sense. I do like to have something to look forward to and that mini vacation is it as I don't think we will be going to Mexico this year, I highly doubt medical insurance will be available.

      Delete
    2. Right now they can't sell medical travel insurance while there is a travel ban on. They should once things open up if they do. I am beginning to think that it must might not. I read yesterday that they are only thinking of opening up Sinaloa in September or October. I refuse to think that we can't go in October.

      Delete
  10. Glad the ball is rolling and tests are being done. Going for tests must be a process. A friend said the lab at our local hospital had a line up back to the hospital entrance-6ft apart of course but still a lot of people. Nature is such a comfort, the natural rhythm of life proceeding as it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other lab was ridiculous (life labs) as I couldn't get an online appointment for 10 days and had no intention of standing in line but my Dr told me to go to the hospital lab. There were only 3 people there and we all were sitting about 4 metres apart the way they set up their waiting room. It felt pretty normal actually and now I know where I can take Mom for her diabetes test that is coming up

      Delete
  11. Hoping that there isn't a second wave. Geez. Also hoping your new meds get you feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine, After 2 full days it seems a little bit better - hoping this trend continues :)

      Delete
  12. I'm not seeing any kind of progress with my cucumber plants. Maybe I'm drowning them with all the grass compost I've been layering over them. And seriously, do any of those peas actually make it into the kitchen? Don't they all get eaten straight out of the pod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the peas never get cooked. Hubby Buddy and I are all lovers of raw peas :) Except maybe one or two cooked in the pod in a stir fry. My tomatoes are slow but we've had an extremely wet and cold May and June so far, fully expect them to take off if and when the sun appears.

      Delete