Tuesday, May 5, 2020

And the Sun is Back Today!!

Sunshine seems to make everything better, doesn't it?  This is a picture of Buddy.  He's had a good right rip around the yard this morning after his morning business and came in the house absolutely dripping with wet dirty paws.  Of course, he had to tromp right through the fresh dirt we've spread where we are trying to get grass to regrow after taking out some bushes.  He only had his weekly bath last night so this time I had to wash all of his feet in the sink to get the dirt off.  Here he is roasting them to dry :)  He is super happy the sun is back now.

 We did loads of planting on Sunday, I got all of the flowers that I've bought in their pots.  I still need a few more but the strawberry planters got planted.  I am only giving you a glimpse as they currently look nothing like they will as most of the flowers don't have buds.  There are petunias, a spike, calibrachoa (moved from the other small wall pots, I will have to find more), 3 strawberry plants per planter, and white and blue lobelia.  They look messy now but will soon look lovely then I will get a good shot and show you.

Add caption
 We are doing more planning in the yard, next up is to move the bird feeder back to where we can see it from the kitchen/dining/living room as it was moved when we did the patio.  The birds don't like it close to the house and haven't been coming so we will move it to where that mat is behind the chair in the picture above.  We need a bigger mat, maybe even a half circle to go under it.  That is to prevent birdseed from sprouting on the patio.  We've had the sprinklers repositioned so they shoot away from the patio so now the water won't get to seed wet and rot.

I only have a few seedlings in the living room now.  Some of my tomato seedlings are still tiny and some a couple inches tall.  The biggest will be planted in 2 weeks.  I will also buy at least 1 other larger tomato plant to ensure I have lots as they do tend to grow well along the sunny side of the house with the siding reflecting the sun back on them.  The cilantro is growing well but after 35 days I forgot how long it takes to grow.  I need to start up another batch with some seeds I have left.  I also planted dill last week and it is just above the dirt now.  Dill is a super important herb in our house, a mainstay of any Ukrainian cooking (hubby, not me).  Nothing better than young potatoes in cream and dill.  A thousand calories of tasty goodness.



Yesterday was mostly grey but I got so much done inside.  I finished my company month-end, submitted our taxes (I get a refund, hubby pays and in the end we get a grand total of $4 back between us woohoo - oh yeah and I had to pay $69 for the version of Turbotax we need for investments), did 3 loads of laundry, and went to the bank, Mom's vet clinic and the grocery store.  I had to get some actual cash at the bank in small denominations as I can't buy eggs or do simple things after so many weeks of not using cash.  I got a $100 in small bills and dollar coins, that should keep me for a while.  I have no fear of cash, it is so easily disinfected so no need to worry.

Today I am going over to social distance in my friend's yard and buy eggs. Likely I will help her weed her garden as it has rained so much the weeds are probably out of control.  She has gone back to her second job at the plant center, she says they are super busy.  She also runs an air BNB out of her home but that is on hold for now, thankfully she has one permanent roommate who came in the fall and she gets along well with who seems to be staying indefinitely so is only losing out on one of the rooms.  Maybe by summer, it will be ok to travel in our own Province but who knows.  For now they are asking people not to do that, completely understandable.

Our restrictions are going to be lightened next week, today they will announce what is going on.  We will probably continue as we are except if we are allowed to be with one other household inside it will be Mom.  I will still social distance my friends until things are safer for Mom.  She hasn't left her house except for walks since mid-March.  She did trim her own hair yesterday and actually it looks pretty good.  I am sure we will still have to social distance for Mother's day so need to come up with something to cook and take to her. 

Yesterday I got 2 kg of skinless boneless turkey breasts for $10 - a screaming deal, that was for Mom and 2 kg of chicken legs for 99 cents a pound (our grocery stores really do price things by the pound but the carton shows 2kg, stupid really after all these years of being on the Metric system).  I have packaged it up into 5 separate suppers of 7 legs (that will probably include lunch for hubby next day too) for a grand total of $8.50.  That's $1.70 per bag!  I'll take what deals I can get now, no more buying willy nilly because of fear of running out.  Time to try and get the grocery budget somewhat back on track.

Have a great day everyone!

22 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your tomato plants - I haven't started anything from seed for years - and now I am so happy to see my tomato seeds have grown into delicate stems with 2 sets of leaves on many of them. I have been picking up plants along with my groceries from Bruces Market for several weeks, a few at a time. I've planned the flowers in my front yard planter boxes - it is helping me feel centered, that spring is carrying on as it should.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I think next year I will start them earlier, maybe around the 1st of March and I am going to try and collect some seeds now for that. Gives me the same joy :) When the birds sing and the sun shines and the flowers bloom things do feel much more right in the world

      Delete
  2. you plea well on taxes then for the balance so close to $0. I think we'd rather keep our money throughout the year than count on a tax refund windfall. My garden area got all weeding again, so before we can plant, I'll need to get more pulled, raked and turned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we normally never get a lot of tax back and I plan it that way. Don't you hate how fast weeds grow? If only food did that

      Delete
  3. Buddy is adorable. And your backyard looks charming. Hope the birds enjoy their new feeding spot. Picky picky picky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are, plus there is so much natural feed right now so they aren't coming often but I do like watching the birds

      Delete
  4. Buddy is too cute!

    Love the plantings and planning of the garden.

    Sunshine is the best! Loving this spring, even though we get snow here, it's still nice to see the sun, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get so little snow but lots of rain (although not this winter). Yes sun is best!!

      Delete
  5. Still too cold to plant here, but I have been putting starters out to harden them off a bit.

    Your yard is looking lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have plants at the ready for when it is nice enough

      Delete
  6. I love seedlings. I cannot wait for their possibilities to become reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although next year I think I will start the very beginning of March. I need to buy some extra seeds this summer to do that

      Delete
  7. Nothing more perfect that an adorable dog in front of a cozy fire. Love that photo! So glad the sun is shining for you and that you can work in your yard. We have been doing the same and it's keeping us from going insane during the lockdown. They have eased restrictions here, but other than jumping into and out of the home improvement store in the early hours, we are staying away from everything and everyone a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too. I am venturing out to more stores to see how safe they are at hours when they are quieter. Our home depot (went last night at 5, closes at 6 now) was pretty quiet, waited 2 minutes to get in. I still refuse to go to the grocery store that is the cheapest except by ordering online and picking them up as I feel they are the least safe. Our new infections here dropped from around 25 a day last week to 8 a day (just this Province) yesterday and today there is a press conference as to what is loosening up. Our Province was pretty loose in what was mandated to close, many did it voluntarily. Most of Canadas infections are in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta. I feel a little safer now but am going to continue to act safe to protect us and Mom. They are talking of having a bubble of people you socialize with. Mom will be it. I would love to take her out in the car but until they say it is ok she won't (and I agree)

      Delete
  8. For the first time in my life my cilantro is actually growing and I feel quite emotional about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had trouble too. It's taken mine 35 days to actually look like this is going to work this time. Perhaps they are companion herbs, you know, like poodles? Prefer you home all the time? :)

      Delete
  9. It sure does! We had sun yesterday but it was cold, today it's been hot and I couldn't be happier!
    Buddy looks as adorable as ever and your seedlings are coming along a treat.
    Jon keeps threatening to sort out our tax returns, it won't take long, we haven't worked since October! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate doing taxes, hubby hates it more but we save so much money by me doing them so I have for the last 4 years. So glad that one is behind me.

      Delete
  10. Oh, Buddy is just a cutie!
    Well done with the seedlings - I've never had any luck with starting them in the house. I've got some seeds to plant this year in containers in the yard. We'll see whether they produce anything.

    Have a great rest of the week and enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither but I was so worried about not being able to buy plants that I started the seeds. I might do it next year too but will start much earlier, maybe mid Feb, early March as we can put things in the ground here in May without worry of frost - plus I have lovely windows in every room in the house to try and start them nearby

      Delete
  11. Just watched the reveal of the new normal schedule. Looks like you will hugging your Mom on Sunday. I would think that you could have her over for dinner as well. Of course as you know that will be your expended circle. I am so happy for you both.

    All the tomatoes we started from seeds are doing well. Two of the four we got at the nursery a few weeks ago have not grown at all. They are stunted. Not sure if I should plant them, they were my choice for larger tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're waiting until the 16th but I will take her a casserole for Mothers day and we will visit in the yard, Thank goodness the weather looks good

      Delete