Thursday, December 19, 2019

PFFFT!

Well, no more suspense, I got a call yesterday indicating I did not get that job.  It does make you wonder though if they had another candidate in mind and asked me to apply for a job that was not posted so that they could at least interview a couple of candidates and fulfill their requirements.  Maybe it has something to do with my age.  Either way, it doesn't matter, although it does bruise your ego.  We are in the process of tying up renewal contracts with our current clients and on-boarded 2 new clients this month.  Hubby told me he was actually relieved as things could go from zero to sixty in the first few weeks of January and if I was off training for this job that would be difficult.  So for now for a few weeks I will hold off on looking for anything else.
Buddy supervising me wrap gifts - nosey dog!


On to other things...we managed to get 2 more walls painted.  Hubby has the baseboards to finish in that section today and then no more painting until after Christmas when my Stepson has left.  We are doing one whole section at a time including touchups and painting baseboards instead of leaving everything half-finished which is much easier on both of us as we both hate things being torn apart all over the house and messy.  The house looks odd with half beige and half grey walls but who cares, it's just us that have to look at it.

Christmas preps are done, all the baking is completed now.  I just need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and that is it.  I really have managed to stay out of the retail fray in December which is really rather nice.  We didn't go overboard on gifts this year which is good and kept to our budget. 

I have one more volunteer shift at the animal rescue on Sunday before the New Year.  I figured it out, I have volunteered over 70 hours this year.  I enjoy it so will continue to do it.  It has definitely gotten me out of the house and I have met a lot of new people which is always a plus.

November was a really dry month and we had lower than normal rainfalls.  December has more than made up for it!  Lots of miserable rainy weather that Buddy runs out like crazy to do his business and then speeds back inside as quick as possible.  No walks (he hates rain and wind) and since we can't throw the ball and have him chase it in the house like we used to before his injury we have been playing lots of training games with tricks and treats and lots of tug of war. At this point snow versus rain would almost be welcome, but maybe after my Stepson flies in so his travel is not interrupted.


Gigantic holly bush in Comox
Holly grows here easily - this gigantic holly tree lives in downtown Comox.  It certainly fits in with the season. 

Saturday we are taking Mom to her favorite restaurant for brunch after some thrifting. It should be fun.  I also need to do some minor cleaning before my Stepson arrives on Monday.  No point in over cleaning, I will just have to clean when he leaves anyway, and I am sure he cares less lol.  Have a great weekend everyone!

19 comments:

  1. It is always feels internally odd to not see snow when reading Christmas posts-even when there are years we do not have snow. I though love the idea of a warmish Christmas and getting outside a bit!. buddy is adorable. Sorry about the job-maybe there is some karma that knew it was not the right time and to hold of until after January. I too though worry more and more about ageism and if I had to start again, how rough it would be. I am all for mentoring and building the next generation of the workforce, but the subtle bias is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they told me the candidate had more education...lol. I have a college degree and self-studied and obtained multiple insurance licenses so that was a load of horseshit...this for a casual clerical position.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the club--they wouldn't even hire me for a seasonal job at Target! Ageism? I'm not sure. Anyway, hope your job search goes better in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - hubby's cousin went through the same thing in Alberta. She had a huge amount of qualifications, was told she had a job in a grocery store filling grocery orders, bought her uniform then they said they no longer had a job. Fortunately she got hired in her field on a pt basis doing what she knows how to do best.

      Delete
    2. I am 50, I think you are about the same? I do think it is sudden ageism unfortunately. Oh well, not much we can do about that

      Delete
  3. Snow is a wonderful thing for orthopedically challenged dogs. We have had such a muddy fall and that means less time romping outside... especially since someone likes to eat goose poop. We are frigid now and have some snow, so we've had some good outdoor time. I love to watch them frolic in the snow! It's "soft" exercise that really tires them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy likes the snow but when we get the wet sloppy snow it just sticks to his hair like crazy. He loves the drier kind of snow!

      Delete
  4. Well, apparently I didn't see your previous post, so I just went back to read what I missed. I can't believe they led you to believe you were a good candidate for the job and then not hire you. Maybe it's for the best, since they seem to suck. lol Buddy is so cute and your tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do suck lol. I truly think something was up as the job wasn't posted internally or externally as per their required protocol (I have a friend in a different department on the inside who told me this)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was good this job didn’t pan out for a number of reasons, one being they don’t sound like they were very honest or sincere. Now you can relax and celebrate the holiday in you beautiful home. I have never seen a holly bush that size. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that too. No pressure now. Yeah, holly is an invasive plant, I sometimes see it in the wild but some people have them in their yards here although I have only seen one other tree that was as big as that one. It's got to be 30-40 years old

      Delete
  6. That's disappointing about the job. It's always so hard to know what's going on behind the scenes. The education is a really strange crutch to use, particularly given similar backgrounds on requirements. To Sam's point, hopefully you find something that's a good fit, but with a better timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. For now I will hold off for a few weeks until we see which renewals on contracts we get. Things seem to be picking up, I am sure 2020 will be a better year than 2019 was for business

      Delete
  7. What a shame about the interview. It can only mean that a much, much better position is waiting for you in the new year.
    Buddy looks very handsome and that holly tree is fab - we've got two big ones in our garden, must be our wet climate!
    Your weekend plans sound great, have fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not in a rush to look for another job, in fact the timing may be off for that so we shall see. The weekend was fun, a lovely brunch, lots of people visiting the rescue center and they were generous as so close to Christmas

      Delete
  8. It's always disappointing when a job interview doesn't end up in job offer but perhaps it was for the best, at least for now. And, you never know an offer still might be forthcoming. I had applied for a job (this was eons ago) and didn't get it at first, but two weeks they called because the first person they hired quit. So you just never know.

    Enjoy your visit with your stepson. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for the best, a few days on I think I wouldn't have liked the job that much anyhow lol.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job but yep, ageism definitely exists. I had a very presentable, beautifully spoken colleague who left and went back to England at age 50 and even she couldn't get a job (so who the hell knows how I would have fared). I think at that point you have to look at other options, like working for yourself, freelancing or whatever. Good luck though, and merry Christmas. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already work for ourselves, was just hoping to add some outside income but frankly 2020 looks like it is going to be super busy at least to start so for now I will hold off on looking. Thanks Anna!

      Delete