Sunday, May 5, 2019

A Week of Planting

April was an expensive month - but things are happening around the little island pad.  All of the veggies are in the ground for the year.  3 different kinds of tomatoes, a dill plant, some cilantro, a sugar snap pea bed, and a couple of pots of cucumbers.  The strawberries have been transplanted into pots off the ground to try and help with loss to rodents. All the cost for the strawberries was last year so this year any that are harvested are free!  There are lots of flowers on them already, I think I will get a much larger strawberry crop this year.  I had all the pots already, ended up buying 3 trellis pieces for the peas at the dollar store - but everything else including bamboo sticks and cages were reused from previous years.



Peas

Strawberries left, cucumbers right

A lot of organizing took place in April, some of which involved $300 worth of baskets.  Baskets for above the kitchen shelves to hold items I use only once a year, like Christmas cookie cutters, etc. These seagrass baskets were 2 for 1 - they fit the space just right, a major accomplishment when the Michaels store they were bought at is not in our town.  I had to measure and hope for the best.

Our closet went from complete mess to organized containment.  The shot directly below is the before of our shelves.


Below is the after shot (Buddy does seem to photo bomb so many of my pictures).  Much better.  Most of that was tank tops, books I haven't read and the usual detritius of life that ends up in closets. 

The photo below is the baskets above which I shared a couple of weeks ago.  They look a bit brown in this picture but they are really grey and white - so everything is organized now, other than hubby needing to go through his clothes.  Perhaps today if I corner him.  This closet will have to be dismantled when our new carpet is installed - so these baskets make it all the easier to remove the stuff and put it back when completed.  



Our carpet has been ordered.  We ended up going with a mid-range nylon in a dark grey colour.  I can't wait, now that we are replacing the carpet in the 3 bedrooms (one we use as the office) the old carpet seems to look even worse than we thought.

Buddy is back to complete health thankfully.  Still no idea what he caught/had/licked but we have another vet appointment booked this week so he can get his annual shots.  We get them all so that we can use our groomer and also Buddy can stay at her house when we travel - her Dad is a vet and your pet having shots is one of her requirements.  She wants all animals to be healthy and not worry about transmitting disease/illness from using her services.  It does give us peace of mind when we take Buddy places there are lots of dogs at when we go walking. 

We finally know when Mom is having eye surgery - she has been waiting almost 3 years as her original surgeon for cataract surgery quit just before she was up - and she had to go to the back of the list with a new Dr.  At the end of May she will have one eye done then a few weeks after have the second.  As a result her Dr told her that afterward she can't use clothing that she has to pull over her head - only button down the front while her eye is healing.  Mom usually wears over the head type shirts so we went thrifting yesterday for some shirts.  We found 7 - grand total was less than $20. Each piece was just a couple of dollars, we luckily hit upon some 50% off sales at the thrifts.   Mom is a low income senior so was thrilled that we accomplished this with so little money.  Several of the shirts were from a large-lady store that has beautiful clothing but is not inexpensive.  I am sure she will continue to wear most of it well after her healing period.

I am trying to make plans for summer, difficult until we know the exact date of her second eye surgery - but Hubby and I hope to take Buddy for a few days in August somewhere else on the Island (or a nearby Island) for a short getaway.  Stepson #2 is coming for a few days in July and will join us in our annual fishing trip.  I was extremely lucky when I booked it as the salmon fishery was closed (meaning you can't keep any - catch and release only) until mid-July  - in an effort to replenish stocks.  Our trip was booked for after that.  I feel horrible for our guide, he is such a great guy, his business has been decimated by this closure.  I hope he will stay in the business.  Usually large resorts hire him - he may have to travel much further away to where the fishery is still open for him to stay in business until the fishery opens here.  I understand the need for conservation but it was handled poorly by the government and the BC tourism industry that relies on salmon fishing was blind-sided.

I've begun volunteering for a wildlife rescue organization a few hours a week - they are opening a discovery centre and gift store and I will be doing at least one four hour shift per week.  Right now we are in training.  This charity is 100% volunteer driven and does very good work.  I hope this works out, I have been wanting to volunteer for a while.  It costs a lot of money to rehabilitate and house hurt wildlife and it's just amazing what this charity has accomplished to date.  I am really looking forward to working there.

That's all I've got today - have a great Sunday everyone!

24 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear Buddy is doing better. Weird wasn't it. And move over Marie Kondo - your organizing skills put me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I should have done that closet when we moved in...but now that we are staying we both like it so much better

      Delete
  2. We will be down sizing our garden this year. But I couldn't image no fresh veggies.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These take no weeding - I like that, makes life so much easier

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've definitely been busy! Funny how when we clean/clear one area it highlights what still needs to be done.

    Good luck to your mom on her eye surgery. Glad to hear that Buddy is feeling better.

    Totally envious that you've got your garden growing. What struck me is cucumbers in containers? I assume they grow over the edges and down the pot?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have growing boxes down one side of the house and containers (for now). Due to my fibro I don't want to have a huge unmanageable garden so this year I added more containers - no weeding that way. Last year I grew cucumbers in containers and they worked well, apparently they do even better with a couple plants per pot as long as they can grow upwards which is why I have the upside down tomato cages there - they seem to like it and as it grows I clip it higher. I am seriously no expert but apparently they do well in containers as don't have a deep root base.

      Delete
  4. I love all your baskets! Do you have them labeled in some way so that you know what's in them? I'm terrible at remembering what's inside things. I was looking for my bunny figures for Easter and forgot where I had stowed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly know what's in them (hubby wants me to label them...we'll see). Most of the bedroom stuff we can see except up top, one for all my camera equipment and binoculars, one for extra bags, one for sewing equipment (I only repair, need to pair down that stuff). Most of which hubby will never need to get into :)

      Delete
  5. Your new volunteer post will be a help to the wildlife and that organization. How good that Buddy is back to full health, we do love our canine family members. Now please come over and organize my closets, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me forever to do mine, expect me to show up in 7 years lol

      Delete
  6. We did a lot of planting this weekend too. I found a bunch of tomato and pepper plants for two bucks a piece at the discount grocery where I shop -- some were San Marzano, which are the best for sauce. We also planted herbs. I am going to keep my fingers crossed!

    I would love to buy a ton of baskets that all match, all at once like you have. Probably if we ever decorate our bedroom... what a great way to hide/store stuff!

    I think it makes much more sense to have decided to stay where you are and make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the baskets would cost - but it really has made such a difference, totally wish I had done it when we initially moved in. At least now I feel like our closet can stay neat and tidy without much effort

      Delete
  7. So much excitement. It's amazing how once you start updating and replacing things, everything else looks that much shabbier, even things you had no intention of changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true, next up some furniture. Tough to find in a smaller area like where we live

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear about Buddy and envious that you have everything planted.and organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat organized, still lots of areas left. I keep opening a cupboard and seeing work lol

      Delete
  9. I'm with everyone else. I find organization spreads - the more I do, the more I see that needs to be done! You did a great job. Your closets look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still lots of areas that need going through. The other day I found 11 years expired vitamins (seriously) which means we moved with them already expired. No more. Every inch of this house will be gone over within the year.

      Delete
  10. Loving the Buddy photo bombs and I'm so happy to hear that he's better.
    Those baskets are lovely and your garden looks so exciting!
    Wishing your mum all the best with her cataract surgery. It changed my Mum's life (she had both eyes done together).
    So impressed to read about your voluntary role. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy is my constant companion, almost impossible to take a picture without him in it lol. Mom is excited about the surgery - she's not been able to see well for quite a while.

      Delete
  11. For my peas I made a trellis from driftwood sticks, bamboo and twine. The twine lasts about two years before new is needed. It's inexpensive and I like the natural look. Glad Buddy is all better. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of driftwood sticks! I was originally thinking chicken wire but it's hard to buy a small piece. A friend uses old fishermens nets - she got a huge one from a neighbor off a commercial boat but it weighs a ton (she has a large property so can store it)

      Delete
  12. Great news about Buddy and of course your Mom's eye surgery. I'm confidant that you can count on her second eye being done 2 to 3 weeks after the first. Your plants look great. Would you mind letting me know how high the cucumber pots are and how wide? Maybe I won't put mine in the garden when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will measure and put the measurements on your blog - those blue pots are from London Drugs, they sell theme very year, the one I put the cucumbers in is the largest - but I will get the details for you :)

      Delete