Sunday, April 28, 2019

SomeBuddy was sick this week

This week was a bit crazy - we spent most of it trying to nurse our furbaby back to health.  I have no idea what he picked up but there were several sleepless nights with having to take him outside every 2 hours as some internal bug raged through his system.  I had already had a vet appointment booked for Friday for his annual checkup and shots but instead cancelled that and moved it up to Thursday as I was afraid he was dehydrated.  I bought baby non-flavoured electrolytes and made some chicken and rice to try and get him back to health.  Fortunately the vet gave him a shot in the butt to help him stop puking (sorry) and a liquid oral treatment for what was coming out of the other end, both of which worked fairly quickly.


Anyway, by Friday he was mostly on the mend, playing and rough housing again - he looks frufru but he is normally a typical wrestle with Dad type of dog.  He is eating again. We haven't left him alone since Wednesday so maybe by tomorrow we can both be out of the house at the same time without worrying about his bathroom schedule.  He is little, only about 16 pounds at the best of times but I am pretty sure he lost a couple pounds this week.  The picture was taken at his worst, he was cold from going outside so many times so I covered him up.  Hopefully in 2 weeks I can book a followup appointment and they can give him his regular shots then.

Some of our rhododendrons in the back yard are blooming.  Yes they are pretty but - we are still removing them next year as they take up over 100 feet of our back yard and are only pretty for a couple of weeks every April/May.  The previous owner planted them - they are old and woody now and although we have pruned them back we are tired of them.  I will see if someone wants to come dig them out for free when it is time next year but our extended decking will be going right where they are now.

Mom and I went to a charity booksale the Rotary Club runs here twice a year.  I bought 16 books for $20 - that should keep me in reading for a while.  Yes, I can find cheaper books at some thrift stores but - they alphabetize the authors I find my favorites that way.  Also, 100% of the proceeds go to local charities so I am ok with the price.  I also dropped off 6 boxes (truly) to different thrift stores this week.  Frames, binders, some of hubby's coats - it just seems like we keep finding more things to get rid of every week.  Hubby used to hang on to things - he seems to be able to let go of stuff a lot more now.  We still need to purge his closet but we are getting there.

I also realized I have two seafood sets so sold off the one I bought at a garage sale 2 years ago for $5 (see this post).  The set I kept is much smaller and easier to store.  It was a really nice set - stainless steel and complete. It went for $21 on our Facebook 24 hour bidding site - I was surprised it went that high. The profit will go into our fishing/fun fund which already has enough in it for our fishing trip in July.

Yesterday I bought dill, 2 cucumber plants, a new rosemary plant and some cilantro. That plus 3 tomato plants bought earlier in the week are all in the ground now.  The cucumbers I started from seed are still super tiny so I am not sure I am going to bother with growing things from seed anymore as I don't seem to have much luck.  I also bought Mom a bunch of flowers for her patio - that is her Mother's day gift from me this year - early but I would rather get her something that will bring her joy every day than more "stuff".  On the actual Mothers day (May 12 here in Canada) we will have a bbq and grill up her favorite meal, likely ribs with potato salad - but we will let her choose.

Today I need to get my front flower bed in - as well as pot up some more flowers for our patio.  It has been nice and sunny and 15 degrees daytimes so we need to get outside and enjoy it!

26 comments:

  1. Poor Buddy! Glad to hear he's on the mend. Hopefully he's back to his normal soon.

    Lucky girl, there will be no gardening in the near future here. We got snow overnight and it is still coming down.
    Well done with the sale of the seafood set. My daughter is going to help me next week to put up a few items on FB for sale that I don't need but refuse to give away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that - lots of snow across Canada yesterday. I love being able to plant veggies and flowers a full month earlier than when I lived in Alberta! (After May long weekend was the rule). Good luck on your sales!

      Delete
  2. Poor Buddy! We have never had a sick day with Teddy, but our last dog would get those type of ailments. It was always a mystery as to what she ingested, as she wasn't one to scrounge up things on the ground. We did keep a homeopathic remedy on hand - arsenium albumin (short name Arsen Alb), which seems to nip these episodes in the bud. We started dosing once the puking started. Just thought I'd offer that up as something to keep in the doggy first aid kit! We would set her up on a big vinyl tablecloth so that was the only thing that got messed up.

    Your flowers look gorgeous. We purchased roses to plant but have had to keep them in the pots -- in the garage. We've had some freezing rain this weekend! I envy you your climate.

    Best wishes for the Budster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip - I will keep that in mind! This time it started from his back end first, no puking until day 2 which was weird. That was when I got really worried. I do love our climate - lots of areas of Canada got snow this weekend though, so glad we didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Buddy, he looks so sad. Glad to hear that he's on the mend, now!! A good book is a bargain whatever price you pay - hours of entertainment and often something you'll remember for ever. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love real books, own an amazon fire that can be used as a kindle as well but don't like reading books that way.

      Delete
  5. Poor Buddy. Glad he's on the mend. I love rhododendrons but they can get out of control after many years. We have an acquaintance who is a hybridizer, even has some names after him. His property is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Vancouver Island has some of the largest Rhodos in the world - and oldest https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/ladysmiths-century-old-world-class-rhododendron-is-hitting-its-blooming-window. Apparently that one was damaged in January in a windstorm but it's still alive missing a few branches. I am buying a palm tree for the backyard next year instead :)

      Delete
  6. Poor Buddy..I'm glad he's on the mend now. I think I worry more with the fur babies than the hoomin kids since they can't tell us what's wrong/hurts. ;-)
    We got snow flurries here in NE PA yesterday but then again, that's nothing unusual for late April here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alberta where we used to live got a major blizzard this weekend - yikes. I know what you mean about the animals not talking. He does know how to look super pathetic though :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad Buddy is doing a bit better now. And as you say, when they are little to begin with losing weight seems to hit them hard! Since I have more time to "potter" now I actually planted a few seeds - cucs, tomatoes, cantaloup, broccoli, lettuce and so far they are coming up. The cucumbers went crazy so I planted them out - they are now "swimming for their lives" in the pouring rain we have going on here at the moment!!! We'll see I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cucumber seeds came up then just stopped growing. I bought 2 plants and then planted 1 each of my seed ones in the same pot - just as an experiment. The pot is big enough for both if it takes. Stay dry!

      Delete
  8. Poor Buddy. Hope he's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty much back to normal now - thank goodness. The little buggar scared us

      Delete
  9. Hubs actually just pulled out all our raspberry bushes. They had gotten out of control, and I rarely was getting to picking them before the birds got to them. We have so much year work, but even before we get raking and cleaning up the yard, I think it looks better. Some people will grimace-maybe we salvaged one or two to start again. I hope Buddy get's himself to rights soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries are tough. We have blackberries and the brambles attack me every year I pick them. I am not sure I would have raspberries either. Perhaps you could put something more manageable there. Do blueberries grow there?

      Delete
  10. Poor Buddy. We have small dogs for the first time in our dog owning history. We are realizing how serious a small weight loss can be and how quickly one has to act. You have been busy being veterinary nurse and gardener on top of your usual routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get dehydrated so much faster (good to keep that electrolyte on hand just in case, found at Shoppers Drug Mart $9.99 for a little bottle but can be the difference when they are sick). Yeah, well work is slow so thankfully I have the time right now. I also put in my front flowerbed after I posted yesterday...a glutton for punishment!

      Delete
  11. Sweet boy. Glad he's feeling better. I wonder what that was from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, maybe he liked a mushroom or ate something in the yard. In Spring we have all kinds of stuff that is toxic. I checked the yard for mushrooms but didn't see any. The vet asked if we wanted tests but not much point unless he is sick long term.

      Delete
  12. Buddy doesn't look too happy. Great that the vet got him straightened away so fast. I love Rhodes but they can be a nuisance with all the deadheading and pruning. Nice that you have a backyard project to look forward to for next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted a palm tree, maybe even two so that is what is going in plus the patio extension

      Delete
  13. Your poor furbaby. I am glad he is feeling better now. They hold such a special place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU SO MUCH for including my blog on the bloglist you follow! I'm honored...it was very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete