Sunday, March 31, 2019

Bits and Bobs on Sunday

Another lovely weather week here on Vancouver Island.  Buddy is such a sun seeker, he really enjoys lying in the sunshine.  It got up to 17 degrees Celcius and he asked to go out far more than usual.  We are supposed to get two more days and then a full week of rain.  I don't mind though as it has been tough to work when it is so beautiful outside and Buddy sits there grunting at me all day to let him out.  We also need the rain, although we got a lot of snow in February, our most in 40 years we have had very little rain this winter.  I do not want to see a repeat of other summers with many fires and drought.  



While hubby was working on the yard and a platform for our shed I have been continuing to purge as if we are moving.  Our SPCA put a call out for blankets, sheets and towels as they took in 40 Maine Coon cats from a hoarder this week.  They only have spots for 6 so have sent some to other shelters and fosters on the island.  All the Island shelters are no kill so they help each other out.  I did a massive cleanout of the linen closet and took them two bags full. Sometimes having a reason to purge helps with the process.


I've also been listing like mad on our 24 Facebook Bidding site.  Lots of items started at free like these 4 cement blocks that hubby bought for winter for weight in our old truck but not needed for our newer one.  We have zero use for these.  In the end someone paid me $1 for the right to haul them away.  So far in the last 10 days I've managed to put $52.25 into our fun fund (usually spent on our annual salmon fishing trip) from selling stuff we no longer need and also sold $5.50 worth of stuff for Mom.  I am so grateful I have a way to get stuff that normally is difficult to get rid of like the cement blocks.  


I've been on the serious hunt for storage baskets, am looking for some natural type ones for all the closets.  I ordered this white one made of bamboo off of amazon.  Not exactly what I want for the other closets but it will do to hold toilet paper.  In three weeks I have to make a trip to Nanaimo and will search there as I have exhausted the small amount of options available in our town.    Even though I purged a lot of older bedding I held on to this 20 year old blue comforter.  It is king size and works great when we have more than one kid in the house.  It will also work as temporary bedding for when we upsize to a king size bed until I can find some nice bedding.  

Today I have to do some house work, help hubby finish the platform for the shed and then we are going to a bbq at a friends house - yay no cooking for me!  Have a great rest of your weekend everyone.

21 comments:

  1. Busy woman! Well done on selling off some items, though I have to wonder at someone paying for something you offered for free? All the better for you.

    Enjoy your BBQ! I plan to dust mine off today too, though I'll be doing the cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the bidding site you can start items at whatever bid point you want. If I really just want rid of something I will start at free and in this case someone bid free then the next bid has to be at least .50 or more, someone outbid the free person :) We bbq here year round which is nice, a change from our past in Alberta

      Delete
  2. What a great reason to purge those old linens. Hope they find homes for those cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cats are half wild so need to be socialized first - a common occurrence here as there seems to be a lot of ferel cats here.

      Delete
  3. It has been sunny over here but, around 8-9 degrees Celsius and with wind chill, it feels worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that can be chilly especially next to the water. Gotta love the sun though

      Delete
  4. Love the shot of Buddy in the sun. Some days it would be nice to be like a dog and just plop down for some sun time and a rest.
    Purging feels so good. I have been actively getting rid of as much excess as I can, yet I always find more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are often jealous of Buddy. No responsibilities and lives in a house where he is thoroughly spoiled. There is no end to the purging...I am the same way, always find more!

      Delete
  5. Hoarding cats?! I'd love to do that.
    Seriously though, I'm delighted you were able to help out those poor Maine Coons and hope they get a loving home soon.
    Look at Buddy basking! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you managing that Greek Island with all the cats (the one that they keep advertising the job for). As long as you could have an annual trip to India I am sure you would love it there!

      Delete
  6. I have seen that Facebook selling option....I am thinking about using that for some things we need to 'get shed of' as Louis Dean says......
    As always, I love visiting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogs and cats don't need an excuse to just laze in the sun do they. It's definitely something I have to work at (well not in the sun but just lazing). I think I have finally gone through all the bed linen that I inherited when my ex just upped sticks and moved back to the States. I have washed everything and loaded up stuff for charity, kept the crappy stuff for dirty jobs and have cut the rest up for rags but I've still got way too much. I'm hoping I can move it up a gear soon as this will take forever. I really should try getting rid of things on FB too. No excuse now really is there (except general indolence)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does suck to have to clean up after others who leave stuff behind. We didn't bring that much when we moved here but seem to have accumulated a lot since then 7 years ago. I usually wash sheets same day anyway so who needs more than a couple sets. Good luck in your purging!

      Delete
  8. We have not had rain here in ages. We've been watering our outdoor plants and we just got some sod that needs daily watering. Wish it would rain even for just a half an hour. Glad you are able to help the shelters caring for those kitties. I bet they are huge cats too. Purging always feels good and all that space left in the closets is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you guys got a lot more rain year round! They are huge cats, almost wild so they are having to tame them down before they can be adopted out. A big job for the volunteers.

      Delete
  9. I usually donate because we aren't in town long enough to sell things only. I did use Craigslist when I downsized Mom's things after her passing. For me that was a lot of work, but it was a good way to get things to good new homes. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still use craigslist too - more expensive items just don't sell well on the bidding site. It does feel good to get rid of some of this stuff though

      Delete
  10. Don't you wish you could lounge in the sun like that without having to worry about wrinkles and sunscreen? It's a dog's life! Well, at least we can't get fleas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! We can't just leave him in the back yard on his own as the eagles have been around too much and he is small enough to be packed away so I have to be at his beck and call for outside time lol

      Delete
  11. I miss watching our girls sunbathe. You sure are on a roll to get your home just the way you want it.

    ReplyDelete