Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Thankful



You know you had a crappy day prior when you wake up with one of these stuck to you

I have been missing from the blog as fully intended to post this weekend but was in a traffic accident on Saturday which has filled much of my time since.  Mom and I went to the farmers market in preparation to buy flowers for my friend whom was cooking us Thanksgiving supper on Sunday.  On our way back we were rearended.  Fortunately I was driving our truck (yeah, the one purchased 2 months ago) and apparently the Toyota Tacoma is highly rated for safety.  We have minimal damage to our vehicle, we need a new bumper and the tow package got all messed up. There might be more damage but that can't be assessed until the bumper is removed.   It is still very drivable though and did zero damage to our paint job.

The vehicle that hit us was a Ford Van and it is basically a write-off with the lights being blown out, the hood getting all scrunched along with the front end.  A few days late but I am extremely thankful that I was driving that vehicle at the time of the accident and that Mom and I weren't injured any worse.  She has whiplash and I seem to have something going on with my back and chest.  We went to the hospital immediately after the accident to be checked out but only soft tissue injuries.  This means a lot of Dr appts for both of us.

While we were sitting in the hospital waiting to be seen (I spent 4 hours there, had an EKG and xrays) we both decided no matter what we would drag ourselves to my friends house for Thanksgiving which she was hosting on Sunday.  She is the very best cook I know and I was ever so grateful I wouldn't have to try and cook a turkey.  We managed to get there and supper was all we hoped it to be.

Anyway, we are both upright and moving around and feel very fortunate about that.  There will still be pain and treatment to come but it could have been so much worse.

Moving on.....on October 1 I picked the last cucumber and removed the rest of the tomatoes from the vine.  This is the year totals:

4 cucumbers (plant cost $3) so not a huge money saver but it was so nice to have fresh cucumbers
111 small to medium early girls (way too small for my liking)
60 cherry tomatoes (tomato plants were $9)
4 green peppers (plants were $3)
110 strawberries (plants were $20 and are perrenials)

Not a bad tally but not a bumper crop by any means.  Next year I will forget about growing peppers, they just don't do well outside a greenhouse.  I am not sure about the strawberries but likely will move them to different containers that are more rodent proof in the spring or give them away - will wait to make a decision and see how they over winter.

I will also buy beefsteak and grape or  roma tomatoes as in general I was dissapointed with the amount of small tomatoes, no large ones at all.  My cherry tomatoes were so tiny too, more like large peas.  Oh well, I still have tomatoes for a couple of weeks as they are ripening in the window sill.

Liquor costs alot in Canada due to our "sin" taxes.  They intend to do the same to cannabis when it is legalized here next week (October 17).  As I like to drink wine I decided to try and lower my costs by buying a wine kit.  We have local stores that do the actual brewing once you buy the kit and then you go in to bottle it. Mine is a four week kit and will be ready the first week of November. 

Even the cheapests of wine at the liquor store costs about $10 for 750 ml but I would say average cost is $15-22.  My costs are as follows:

$71.34 for the wine kit including tax.  That will make 30 750 ml bottles.  Normally they have a $55 fee which covers them doing the brewing (or if you have the room and inclination you can do that part yourself at home with some additional equipment, I have nowhere to do this).  Because I am a first time customer they waived that fee (yippee!).  Now I need to come up with 30 wine bottles before bottling time.  I have been scouting craigslist and our Facebook bidding site for bottles for those getting out of do-it-yourself wine.  Even if I have to buy new bottles from them it will only cost $1.28 per bottle and they are reusable an unlimited amount of times.  

This bring my cost to $2.38 cents per bottle of wine (not including reusable bottle) this kit and future kits with the $55 handling fee which includes labels and corks  $4.21 per bottle.  Those are my kinds of prices.  If I choose to later make a more expensive kit with some premium wine those are about $50 more, still extremely affordable.  My best friend is going to have a 1/3 share in this kit just to try it out.  I hope the wine works out as this is way more affordable than buying wine at the liquor store - and I am just looking for a basic table wine as am not a connoisseur by any means.  I miss the really tasty 2 Euro bottles of wine we found all over Europe.

So - in the end we still had a nice Thanksgiving with friends, spoke to most of our family who is all  healthy and happy so we have much to be thankful for, even with an accident thrown in the mix.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear! I am so glad you and your mom were not seriously hurt!! Praise God! and I'm glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving Feast that you did not have to cook!
    Now for the wine.....we visited friends in British Columbia last month and they make a lot of their own wine and it is delicious! They sent us home with three bottles as gifts!
    I'm not a wine connoisseur either but I do love a good glass of Sauvignon Blanc just as you do!! I hope it turns out really well for you. My friends have a cold room they keep theirs in waiting for it to age. They admit to drinking some a bit on the early side.
    Good to hear from you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I will probably drink it early too - will start other kits that can age properly afterwards lol

      Delete
  2. I am still hurting from having someone total my car way back in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it takes months and months, so glad our truck was built to tough

      Delete
  3. Really sorry to hear your lovely truck was rear-ended. Hope it gets 'repaired'. Sorry too that you and your Mom were hurt by that fast hit. Chest and back and whiplash. That hurts.

    I like your garden report, keeps things 'real'.

    My 'large' tomatoes this year were not the expected Big Boy size (that is what I planted) - they are about 1 1/2" diameter. They taste fine - next year I am going to have fewer tomato plants and keep their heights about 1 foot lower - and water more (see next paragraph).

    My car (me driving)and NOT my fault at all, was totaled in early August, I too went right to the hospital in an ambulance. More than enough pain, and I have had an average of 3-4 appts for physio and massage each week plus Dr. appts about every 2-3 weeks. Exhausting. I appreciate the care but miss my 'time' to do what needs to be done. No yard work, the lightest of house work, no projects of any size done (I made 4 cloth pumpkins and that was it).

    Love reading your posts.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy - I know you were in a super serious accident, can't even imagine what that was like. Ours was like a little booboo compared to yours. I hope your recovery is coming along

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you were hit, but am glad your injuries were minimal.
    Also glad you were able to eat the the really good cook and share Thanksgiving there.
    I have given up on growing many vegetables. I am in a constant battle with the chipmunks and they outnumber me about 100 to 1. They aren't even afraid of the dog! IIt is more cost effective for me to just go to a local you pick farm and get some of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you, if you can't make it cheaper no point in growing it, especially if the squirrels think you're providing a buffet. For me it is slugs and other bugs but there are a few things I can do to combat that. Nothing much likes my tomatoes though, those are safe!

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness you and your Mum are okay and that the car survived the accident.
    I'm glad you had a Happy Thanksgiving. it seems such a civilised celebration, much more authentic than Xmas. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you know I love Christmas but Thanksgiving was pretty fabulous. My best friend really made a great meal and it was really nice to be out with friends.

      Delete
  6. So glad you’re both ok. Hope nothing else crops up. I loved the “bumper crop” reference although I don’t think it was intentional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the bumper crop reference was not thought about lol. Thanks Mitchell!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Here's hoping both of you will be back to normal soon. I have been making wine in the basement for more than 30 years. It has saved us a lot of money, but we still like to sample the local wines from the Cowichan Valley. Happy belated Thanks Giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will still buy the odd bottle here and there too, plus I love cider. This will be mostly to "lower" the liquor bill lol

      Delete
  8. So glad the damage to you, your Mom and the truck were minimal. Still all those medical appointments are time takers.

    Years ago when we had our huge house Colin did a wedding for someone who owned a self brew place. We had a $1500.00 credit on wine and we used it all up. If you let it sit for a while before drinking it, it can be good to drink. Too bad I can't send you all my empties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow a $1500 credit to a ubrew, that's awesome.

      Delete
  9. Glad you're both ok. Oh my goodness, it brings it home to you how fragile life can be doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed it does. I looked at Mom and said "we're too old for this s**t" and she looked at me and said "i'm way older than you!".

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure about the rules at our wine shop, but our friends make lots of wine every year from their home grown fruit. They do put some of it up in bottles, but also use repurposed 2 litre pop bottles. They like them to take on the road when they travel in their camper. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had more room I certainly would make it at home, but with our business we really don't have any spare room to do the wine setup. I think I will make a kit 2 or 3 times a year and vary it - hoping that it tastes good!

      Delete
  11. So sorry to hear of your accident. I'm glad it wasn't more serious, injury wise, and you were able to spend Thanksgiving with your friends.

    I'm not wine drinker though will occasionally have a glass. Beer is my choice but I tend only to drink when I'm on a trip. Good luck with your DIY experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really drink beear except when I can't order wine lol. They allow you to make beer to if you choose although I have never heard of anyone being happy with the quality of homemade beer

      Delete
  12. I am so glad the accident wasn't worse than it was!! And what a blessing you were driving the Tacoma. I hope nothing worse develops with your injuries (and your mom's) and that you heal quickly. Of course you would not be at fault as you were rear-ended but what a crappy experience! Look forward to hearing more about the wine experience. I have a place about 2 blocks away where I could do the same but haven't heard about anyone else's experience. I'm not an expert on wines and don't have an expensive palette but would want to find it at least enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously crappy experience. Our autobody guy said if we had been driving the car likely would have been massive damage. Fingers crossed on the wine, I shall report back :)

      Delete
  13. I am so very happy that you and your Mom are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I am so sorry this happened. I hope you both feel better and stronger each day. I had posted a comment last week, but I sometimes have sticky buttons and they don't publish on some blogs. I've been thinking about you and was happy to read your post today that your trip was not just on, but you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete