Sunday, September 30, 2018

Adding It Up

Well, what a summer that was.  It is now officially fall and the grocery tally year to date is $5341 - that means I am over YTD by $171.14.  September grocery budget (includes all OTC meds, nonfood items like cleaners/toilet paper/makeup/hair products) was $575 - I ended up just about $10 lower.  I need to do even better in October if I am going to makeup the overage.  Yesterday I ended up spending over $100 of that budget on OTCs but I timed it with a points event so will end up with at least $10 in free groceries to spend down in October.  The fridge is full/freezer is full to bursting and the cupboards are definitely not bare.  Time to rein in the grocery spending to try and stay on budget for the year.
Buddy enjoying the last rays of summer on the patio (ignore half dead plant in background, bugs got it)


On the "growing my own produce" front I still have about 40 tomatoes, one green pepper and a couple of cucumbers growing.  This week I will remove all, we usually don't get frosts until mid to end of October but it is now moving into our rainy season so it is time.  The strawberries are still blooming although I ate my last ripe one about 10 days ago.  They will be overwintered and then I will decide what to do with them.  Either I will get a better container for growing them (something with height so the mice/creatures can't get at them as I had to share this year) or I will donate them to a friends garden.

Today is the first rainy day after a full week of sunshine.  A good day to stay in, make chili using tomato sauce and green pepper that I grew and eat homemade buns (I didn't make them, bought them at the farmers market $3 for 6, best in the world).

Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend and we have been invited along with Mom to a friends house.  She doesn't usually do turkey(she is a fabulous cook though so we won't be disappointed)  and we are a turkey loving family so I intend to find a cheap turkey this week for the already full freezer to cook with all the trimmings in late October/early November.  Other than the turkey I have very little on my shopping list:  pop (yes we drink a lot of it, not good for us but oh well), chicken/veggie stock, microwave popcorn.  Ever since Mom quit driving I find we tend to go to the grocery store more often, mainly because I want her to feel like she has a lot of access.  I just have to be sure not to spend too much there.  Me driving her is working out for the best, as we have just found out her eye surgeries won't occur until 2019, so glad she sold her car when she did otherwise it would be sitting there now since she can't drive due to her cataracts.  Fortunately, we enjoy each other's company and it only works out to about 1 more trip a week that I spent with her than before when she was driving.

For those that hate the C word - look away now lol.

The Christmas fund is now fully funded at $1200 cash.  We do not spoil or give gifts to the kids except at Birthdays and Christmas  I probably have oversaved but it never hurts to do that.  My budget for decorations/wrapping is $10 (yes just ten dollars) and I almost never get near to that as buy everything at the thrift store and reuse wrapping/bows/decorations.  My antique Christmas collection grows every year and is entirely paid for by selling some of the old style decorations that I don't collect myeself, it tends to actually make me money every year and I get to keep the best of the bunch.  The remaining Christmas budget is spent on gifts for our large family (4 kids, 2 moms, nephews and now 1 livein girlfriend), traveling to Edmonton in early December for what we consider is our Christmas visit which always includes a large meal out with the kids.  That alone is around $200 but worth it.  We went to a really good Chinese food restaurant last year, I am thinking we likely will go to the same one this year as everyone enjoyed it.

I also have managed to save $160 in amazon GCs from using swagbucks.  Most of that came from booking a certain hotel for business travel that I can't get a rebate through ebates for (but still was able to collect hotel points, a double dip!).  Swagbucks and Ebates.ca are my two favorite ways of collecting points for online shopping.  If you shop at all online, even just to make hotel or car reservations you need to get on the rebating bandwagon.  Yes, those are referral links, click on them if you want to join.  The ebates.ca is just for Canada but they have different ones based on your home Country if you don't live here.  Swagbucks is worldwide.  I save all my amazon GCs for Christmas spending and it sure helps, less hard earned cash spent on gifts.

That's all I've got this rainy day - have a nice quiet relaxing Sunday if you can!

20 comments:

  1. After a rainy week, we have a week predicted as without rain. But, it is still warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fabulous! I need to sort my grocery budget as well. I think we'll get a Costco visa card, as we're missing out on the rebates by not signing up. We have another visa we never use, so we'll cancel that & swap to Costco.

    We have a trip to Hawaii before Christmas, so I'll plan that before I move on to Christmas plans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Canada Costco only takes Mastercard now and I have a different one of those but we did invest in the executive membership and last year actually got more than it cost back. Not certain we will this year but still worth it as cost of membership will be reduced more than the basic membership

      Delete
  3. And Buddy is so classy. Nothing cheap about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the grocery budget gets a little out of whack.
    Christmas ___I had 4 huge discounts from local vendors (birthday month thing) and managed to purchase 7 presents for 40 dollars total.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to spread the gift buying over months - 7 presents for $40 is fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Look at Buddy, reclining like an emperor!
    Wish my tomatoes would ripen up, they're still green!
    I'm ignoring the C word (you know I hate it). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for you I placed the sentence to look away lol

      Delete
  6. I am in awe of your budgeting/accounting skills. They compare somewhat favourably with my "back of the envelope" system, but at least it does seem to work. And thanks for the tips about swagbucks - I was always meaning to look up stuff for this but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buddy is so cute! I have not saved for Xmas this year but the vacation fund is in great shape! I really enjoyed reading your post. My balcony veg garden was a disaster...lol oh well there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any day the vacation fund is in good shape is a good day in my books though. Yes, there is always next year. What do you grow?

      Delete
  8. We had to go to Richmond to apply for passports (yes we are now official Canadians). We had a string of doctor appointments already scheduled in the States so we needed the passports ASAP to cross the border. We spent the night in Richmond and went to the most wonderful Chinese restaurant. Their specialty was dim sum but had other great dishes to taste. We don't get to Richmond often, but will go back there again if we do. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the name of that restaurant? I am forever looking for good restaurants and am sure we will be in Richmond one of these days. Congrats on being Canadians!!

      Delete
  9. I must admit when I saw the C word, my immediate thought was cancer not Christmas. Your's is a much happier idea!

    Now that my daughter and grandson have moved out, I'll be more cognizant of the grocery budget...especially with retirement just mere months away. I did spend almost 1/4 of what I have been spending this weekend but I know I was buying more so she could take it with her.

    For Christmas, I shop almost year round. I have gifts for both daughter and grandson, my niece, and my best friend and her husband. My son is difficult to buy for, so I haven't figured out what to get him yet, and will pick small gifts for my nephew, brother and sister-in-law. Books are always a good choice for the latter group...or a gift card from Chapters so they can choose their own. I always get my wrapping paper after Christmas, and have lots from last year.

    I'll take your rain over the snow we got this week. Sigh, like it or not winter is closing in quickly. Today, though is a lovely fall day!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid winter is on it's way for most of the country - we did get frost here lol. I bet you will find it much easier to budget without your daughter in the house, a single person tends to eat much cheaper

      Delete
  10. Hi there! Now that I'm back from my trip the weather has heated up again and it feels like summer. So I'm having a hard time getting things done as I want to be outside as much as I can before the snow flies. After tomorrow it's supposed to cool down - I'm hoping for some rain too so that I'll stay in and start a few projects. Even though I'm no where near ready for the "C" word I did read what you wrote about it :) I have made some preparations though as I managed to buy a few gifts while I was away. AND I only spent 2/3s of the cash I took with me so the leftover will help to fund the rest of Christmas gifts and food. My brother taught me a thing or two about being frugal while away - that will be a post in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! I heard you guys have warm weather - crazy business. I am interested to see what your brother does - will wait for that post!

      Delete