Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Thrifting Finds


Last weekend Mom and I had our weekly thrift date on Saturday Morning and I came home with a bunch of goodies - all for resale.  I need to make about $150 more in our fun fund to cover our fishing charter this year and these guys will help with that.  I love thrifting/garage saling so this really isn't anything I wouldn't already be doing and I make a few bucks at it.  The small nymph planter above was in pretty good condition - but when I bought it I missed the fact that it had 2 chips.  I sold it with full disclosure and made 3x my money.  I would have made a lot more had it been chip free though.


These little vintage owl salt and pepper shakers are so cute - for .50 I had to bring them home.  If they don't sell I would be more than happy to keep them.  

 I had to pay a bit more for these antique canning jars, about $3 a piece but each is worth around $10-20 as they have zinc lid and glass seals.

My favorite recent find was this record from 1969 which is a recording of the astronauts moon landing.  We haven't had time to listen to it yet but it is not very common.  The record is in perfect shape and the album cover has minor wear.  The moon landing occured one month before I was born so it is etched in my brain forever - the summer of 1969 was epic!


If I found 100 of these Bing Crosby Merry Christmas albums I could sell every one around Christmas time.  I've sold it twice before.  This one is in very good condition, the album glue is coming loose but I can fix that.  Both these records together were a whopping .25 cents so likely I will make a few bucks from each of them.  

The only thing I brought home that day for myself were a couple of books for reading - the rest will hopefully sold off for some fun!

This weekend we are off to Edmonton for a couple of days to go to an 80th party for hubby's Aunt.  We haven't seen her since we moved so it will be really nice to reconnect with her and a bunch of our other relatives.  We will also see 3 of the 4 kids (4th lives in Ottawa now) so we are looking forward to it!

28 comments:

  1. well done on the thrifting - do you sell them on ebay or locally?
    I need to get some stuff listed to sell on ebay - I keep procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sell them locally on a Facebook bidding site our area has - Canadian postage is so bloody expensive for small dollar items like these, no one would buy them otherwise.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aren't they cute? I love how big the eyes are.

      Delete
  3. Every little helps! I always go into personal selling overdrive when I've a holiday booked, too.
    That planter is ridiculously daft - he looks like a Cornish pixie although he wouldn't be dragging a popcorn cart around if he was! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are brilliant at the reselling but I just do it for small change - it keeps me happy though and that way I get to mooch around the thrift stores and garage sales

      Delete
  4. You DO find great stuff and I love that you resell and make money. I would find and finally stash in a box somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only try to buy things I like, in case I get stuck with them lol. I can only justify buying "stuff" if I resell it as have enough stuff of my own

      Delete
  5. I should sell my canning jars like those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may not be worth quite that much in your local area but they do definitely have a value

      Delete
  6. Great finds. Wishing you a fun and not too cold weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - we are dressing warm just in case :)

      Delete
  7. I need to get me a side gig hobby that pays more then $0.21 on average in Adsense. Really, I need to figure out first how to get rid of my junk, I mean valuable treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the reason I abandoned adsense a long time ago, for the trouble not sure it's worth it. Hey, your junk is definitely someone elses valuable treasure!

      Delete
  8. I know a lady who works at our thrift shop. She says she sees items from the store on the Facebook sale page all the time. I'm so glad they don't raise their prices because of that. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly I think they are just happy to be selling items. I have noticed Salvation Army in the states does EBAY selling which I think is a great idea. Here they run auctions on collectibles in the window. These items though were all bought at a flea market where the owners bought a table more like a garage sale (except the records).

      Delete
  9. You have a good eye. I'd probably overlook those canning jars ad the planter too. I remember listening to the Bing Crosby record, my mom had it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that recored - I have one myself and play it every Christmas, I think it might be the most popular old time Christmas record, with We are the world and Elvis Christmas coming in close 2nd and 3rd

      Delete
  10. Kudos to you for managing to resell stuff! I've got some old, interesting records, but I still find it hard to part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep all the ones I like since getting a record player last year

      Delete
  11. I had no idea Apollo 11 was recorded - that's pretty cool! You definitely found some treasures :) I went thrifting last week for the first time since before Christmas!! I was in serious NO SPEND mode for the past few months which has really paid off in a big way - I've got my flight paid for, all accommodations booked and paid for, a trip on the Harry Potter train booked and paid for and the rental car is booked - we don't have to pay for that til we pick up the car. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Edmonton. I've only been there once when Kazi competed at the annual Scotdance competition held at the Edmonton Mall back in 2000. I was surprised at how late the sun went down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you and your brother are going on that trip - it will be a lot of fun for both of you. Well done on the no spending. The thrift store, groceries and travel is just about all I spend money on lol. Edmonton was good, sunny, not too cold (minus 5) and we got tons of visiting in a very short period of time in. More late sun would be about the only thing Vancouver Island doesn't have - Aberta does rock that way

      Delete
  12. Great finds.. I never get luck in thrift stores.. :(

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I find something but occasionally I walk out empty handed - I like the thrill of the hunt

      Delete
  13. I would buy that Bing Crosby Christmas album in a heartbeat. My folks had that when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a goodie, my favorite. I actually have one of his really old Decca records Christmas sets too, quite valuable. Wish I had a record player with the right speed to play it though

      Delete
  14. Loving the little owls , Very collectable too xxx

    ReplyDelete