Wednesday, November 8, 2017

I Get My Thrills On The Cheap!


The title of todays post is based on how little I can spend and the thrift store and bring home the best goods (what were you thinking!).  I was tempted to name this post Blue Balls but thought better of it ha ha (see below).   First the picture above is of my two purple celosia plants which used to live on the patio.  Last week when it suddenly snowed I brought them inside.....after several bug and slug patrols I have decided they will live inside until they die as they are annuals so not meant to be forever plants.  They are so pretty and when I spotted them for $5 each at the end of August I had to buy them as my other patio plants had mostly been killed due to a long way too hot summer.  We still have snow on the ground, in fact it snowed again on Saturday night - which did not prevent us from going over to our friends for a night of cards.  It is now warmer and above zero but the snow likely will only melt once it rains which should be tomorrow according to the forecast.


Now, on to my thrift store finds.  I am in need of some sweaters and more pants.  I bought quite a lot of summer clothes this spring after losing 10 lbs but only had a couple of sweaters that fit.  I found three for $12 at my favorite thrift store.  The first one is coral orange and has a gold thread going through it.  


My other favorite colour besides coral is turquoise - this one is super soft and fits the bill.  I have a sneaking suspicion it is an expensive label but someone cut it out so I will never know.


The third is a sports casual top which is made by Columbia - very very warm and soft.  

Saturday mornings are usually reserved with hanging out with my Mom.  We usually do some thrifting, shopping then have a coffee and donut or lunch.  It totally made my day last Saturday when I spotted the first vintage Christmas of the season.  It was in a mixed bag of Christmas crap, the rest of which I will donate back to the thrift store.  For a whopping $1.50 I got these lovelies.  You can always spot a vintage or antique Christmas ornament by the darkened or even rusty tops.  They often have thread as well instead of metal hangers.  I have an ever increasingly large collection of vintage and antique ornaments but refuse to quit collecting.  They make me happy and it is the one area in my life where I am definitely not minimalist.  I do not collect modern Christmas crap at all though, the only modern pieces being things my family or kids have given me.  I believe the top yellow one is supposed to represent an ear of corn and I have none like that one at all.

The miniature blue glass ornaments will go on a small tree I set up in the bedroom to display all the miniature antique ornaments I have.  Usually the thrift stores around here do not put out their Christmas stuff until after Rememberance day (November 11th) out of respect for Veterans in our military town.  Next week though is the best vintage Christmas hunting week of all year so Mom and I have a couple of days set aside to do that.

In other news I have finally booked our Spring European flights - 7 nights  in Italy exploring Rome, the Amalfi Coast and Vatican City and 3 nights in Paris, France!  We have never been to any of these places so will add three new countries to our traveled list (Vatican City is a country separate from Italy).  Normally I would not want to do that much traveling in a 10 day period as prefer to explore more time in one country - but we are taking two of the boys with us this time and I want to give them a taste of world travel. I am also not keen on big cities but these are some of the largest so will have to grin and bear it to see these wonderful sites.   Who knows, they may get the travel bug too but at least if this is the only major trip they ever take it was an awesome one where they saw some of the of the world rather than just seeing it on tv.  Later in life we will probably be able to take much longer slower vacations but right now with four busy people 10 nights away was the most we could do.  I would love to explore more of France and Italy but will do that in later trips where we have more time, for now just a glimpse.  More details will come once I have more of the planning done.

For those that wanted the thin pizza crust recipe from my last post:

Taken from Canadian Living and Dairy Farmers of Canada (they no longer have the link up but I am giving them full credit)

Prep time 15 minutes for crust, 22-25 minutes for cooking time

This crust has no yeast therefore no rising time is needed - just make it and roll it out thinly.  You end up with an amost cracker like crust depending on how thin you roll it out.  If you like thick crust then this recipe is likely not for you.  We love thin crust so this is the best recipe I have found for it.

Crust::
1 and 1/4 cups (300 ml) all purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) whole wheat flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 tbsp (5ml) dried oregano
1/4 tbsp (1 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1/4 cup butter, melted (****not margarine! )

In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, oregano (and other spices you want) and salt.  Pour in milk and melted butter, stir with a fork until soft dough forms (about 30 seconds, no kneading).  Turn out onto lightly floured surface (again I use parchment paper) and divide into 2 pieces for 2 pizzas.  I actually roll the crust out right on the cooking sheet on the parchment.

I use all white flour and no wheat flour, just increase total flour to 2 and 1/4 cups if using only one type.  This makes two small pizza crusts depending on how thinly you roll out the dough.  I use half a small can of pizza sauce as we dont like saucy pizzas but you could use more depending on preference.  I use whatever cheese is on hand, sometimes a combo of cheddar, feta, mozzarella, and parmesan.  Use whatever veggies and meat you want then once it is loaded up (I use ham, pepperoni, bell peppers, pickled jalapenos, onions, mushrooms and black olives but sometimes it is whatever is in the fridge) and bake at 425 degrees F or 220 C.  I always put mine on baking parchment paper and it never burns or sticks.  Only cook at the above temperature (preheat oven first) for 22-25 minutes depending on how high you have stacked it with toppings.  As the crust is thin it is best to watch it to make sure it is does not burn.

I also tend to use way more oregano than they state and always chop up some fresh rosemary for the crust as well.  You could use whatever combo of spices in the crust you like, the more the tastier.  I also leave out the salt as feel the cheese is salty enough but the above recipe is the original.

Have a great week everyone!

27 comments:

  1. I think you will love Italy and France for all the wonderful architecture and historical treasures-collecting on a grand scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, there are just some things I really want to see like the Roman Coliseum, the ruins of Pompeii and Notre Dame Cathedral, got to suck it up in big cities if I want to see them lol

      Delete
    2. I loved the Amalfi coast too - it is stunning. Just as a by-the-way, check out Herculaneum. To my mind it is better than Pompeii (and my oldest agrees with me). On Paris, one year we had to go up to Paris to renew my kids' US passports so after that was done we took the open-topped hop-on, hop-off bus. Notre Dame was stunning. I think it was my favourite spot in Paris. Lucky you, and yes I'm sure your kids will love it. Anna

      Delete
  2. No flight details? I love flight details...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To come, they were not as low as I wanted but through some finagling we saved about $1200 over what they would have been, I will give more detail in next post.

      Delete
  3. I too need some sweaters-long ones for leggings and boots, but do not want to pay much. I think some thrifting is on my list for the weekend. I love a no yeast crust for pizza-so tasty I make little divots with a spoon and spread olive oil to bake a little extra flavor before I put toppings on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more long sweaters too. Have one but really want more and also want a cool pair of boots to wear with leggings, on the to find list :)

      Delete
  4. The three sweaters are a very good bargain!Soft and warm, nice colors and design.
    The blue beads will protect you and your family of the evil eye.They are very popular in the Middle East as a Good Luck charm and souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duta, I have an evil eye I bought in Egypt 20 years ago plus a large one with a pomegranite charm I bought in Greece last year, I have both in the bedroom to protect us :)

      Delete
  5. I can't believe it snowed in BC! It hasn't snowed in quebec yet! that is cray-cray!
    You will love Rome and Paris. I loved walking in both and I am looking forward to visit Rome in 2018 with my sweetie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, totally cray cray! Vancouver Island hasn't seen snow this early except on Mountaintops since the 1980s! You are going to Rome in 2018! Very cool

      Delete
  6. Great stuff. Don't send recipes. Send pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what it would look like by the time it got to you....you are just getting healther so I probably won't :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous sweaters! I love that kind of flat bread! I think we are going to have pizza tonight for dinner - it looked too good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tried and true recipe, I make it at least once a month

      Delete
  8. A excellent bargain hunt! Travel planning is as exciting as the trip itself! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the planning phase of travel, I get to make all the decisions and the family goes along with it

      Delete
  9. There's my favourite blue glazed pots! I'll be bringing my geraniums in soon, we've had a few frosty mornings this week.
    Your pizza looks lovely.
    Glad you've finally booked your trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a thing for glazed blue pots, there are 4 more out in the back which I use in the summer, my geraniums were still blooming but got covered in snow so they are done for

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the Pizza recipe. It is going to snow in toronto this week.First snow is always exciting. Then it becomes boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the snow in December (as long as we are not traveling) but this is way way too early

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. exactly - a recipe where you probably already have all the ingredients on hand

      Delete
  12. those pizzas look yummy!
    your rome and paris trip will be wonderful - this cities are so different from the usual metropolis. wish you lots of joy!
    your sweater collection - gorgeous colors! - remembers me that i need some light wight ones - hard to find in the right size and color this days. i fear i have to make it myself, there is some light wool (woven) in the stash already......
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I wish I knew how to knit, maybe one day when my life slows a bit

      Delete
  13. We like thin crust. The recipe I've been using has yeast so it tends to puff up a lot even when rolled thin. I might try your recipe next time to see it makes a crispier crust. I bought a new pizza pan in my quest for a crispy bottom crust. It has holes in it and it did do a better job of crisping the bottom. Maybe in combination with your recipe it will be just right. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried one of those pans but find parchment paper does a great job of crisping it up

      Delete