|Hotel we will stay at in Playa Del Carmen|
1. Thrifty hubby was power washing the house and driveway when something broke in our 8 year old power washer. These units are not cheap and the one we have was about $400 originally. Some would say that you don't really need one but here on the West Coast everything is covered in green scum in the Spring after our winter rains so if we didn't own one we probably would have to rent one. He googled it, watched youtube videos, and found another identical unit on Craigslist for $100 that someone was selling for parts. Really? $100 for parts! Instead of buying that, he found the exact part he needed for $22 but had to drive to Nanaimo 1.5 hours away for it. Part plus gas equaled about $45 and now the unit is fixed. We are going to try and nurse several more years out of it. Yes, it cost him quite a bit of time but sometimes that is what Do It Yourself is all about. If we had bought the other unit for parts we might be able to get even more time out of it - but have no where to store the parts in the mean time. Now the house has been all scrubbed - next on the list is yard work.
2. I found a great deal on a 4 star hotel in Cancun for our June holiday - except - we don't want to stay in Cancun as it is a big city with gigantic hotels and not much true flavor of Mexico. Instead I found a 39 room hotel in Playa Del Carmen that has a small kitchenette, balcony with table and chairs and a hammock for basically the same price - and it has a great reputation on Tripadvisor, something I always use as a research tool. Sometimes you pay more to be in the area we want to be - I knew this when I booked the flight as I used to be a travel agent. If we wanted a cheaper holiday we would have gone to the Pacific side of Mexico which I also love but is not great for snorkeling and has no Mayan ruins. We can walk everywhere without taking cabs or buses and it is 3 blocks from the Dive shop where I want to do a couple snorkel trips from, including snorkeling with sea turtles! The primary purpose of coming to the Caribbean side of Mexico is to feed our love of snorkeling. I am also paying more for the privilege of being at a hotel on the beach. There are many places for half the price a few blocks off. Why am I splurging? Our 10th Wedding anniversary is in September - busy season for our company and not a great time to be away. This trip counts as our Anniversary trip and the money is already saved. Sometimes I nickel and dime our home life so we can splurge on vacation. I am not a fan of all inclusive hotels although have booked them on occasion when they are the cheapest option. I didn't want to do that on this trip as the food never is as good as when you seek out your own meals. For every Starbucks coffee I don't have here(*I am too cheap anyway lol - $7 for a coffee!) we could have a decent meal for one in Mexico. We will eat breakfasts in our room and then eat dinners out. I prefer authentic Mexican food so we will try and seek those out instead of the typical tourist traps. If we feel like a drink on the beach we will mix our own and take our cups down to the beach - already counting down the days until we go!
3. I have gone to the thrift stores a few times this year but not found anything - until last week. Black Clark's Sandals for $4.99! Sorry, no photo as I have been too lazy to take any pictures - although they have been all disinfected and polished up. Let's just say that since finding my first pair of Clarks shoes last year - the most comfortable shoes ever - anytime I find Clarks in decent shape in my size and a style that I like I am likely to buy them from here on out. Score!
4. My growing puppy Buddy needs lots of activity/exercise so about 3 times a week we walk over to my 73 year old Mom's house 2 blocks away, and pick her up for a long walk. Yesterday we went about 2 km. It is a win win for all three of us and something I hope we keep up. Buddy is meeting lots of other dogs on these walks and learning how to socialize and be respectful instead of jumping all over them, while at the same time increasing his stamina. Hubby takes Buddy on the other days so he gets some of his energy out in walk time or playtime every day.
5. Hubby flies out of town on Sunday and will be gone a week on business. I intend to have a low-spend grocery week. Time to clean out the fridge and make a big pot of soup with the droopy carrots and celery lurking in there.
So much for a short post - I've rambled on too much. Anyway, that is all I've got for today. Happy St. Patty's Day if you celebrate!