Saturday, August 16, 2014

Planning for the big C


I saw Christmas decorations in our Costco this week so it is officially not to early to talk about saving for Christmas.  We have a large family with my four stepkids, two mothers and one nephew that we give gifts to.  Once the nephews graduate high school we no longer buy presents so that number has decreased over the years. We have minimized the hassle around Christmas by giving our kids one small gift and the rest in money.  We are travelling to Alberta but are doing so before Christmas so we will be tucked back home safe and sound by December 22nd. The kids all have busy lives, jobs, boyfriends/girlfriends and their Mom so we are all ok with celebrating a few days before the 25th.  

I save all year long for Christmas and here is the Christmas fund so far:

  • $800 for gifts.  Every paycheck I tuck away some money into that fund.  The budget is $1000 so I have a little more to save.
  • 1 gift purchased for one of the kids.  We bought each of them a souvenir in Europe but found one item for my stepdaughter that will make a nice Christmas gift.
  • $60 in Shoppers Drug Mart points which will likely be higher by the time December rolls around.  This will be used to supplement Christmas groceries and chocolate.  Even grown kids still like treats like chocolate.
  • $16 with in PC Plus (Loblaws) points which you have to have $20 worth before you redeem. I will have sufficient points by December to do so.  This will also go towards Christmas groceries, maybe even the turkey!
  • The flights to and from Alberta have already been booked using points and taxes were paid out of the travel fund.


Here is the plan:

  • December 11, fly to Alberta and visit with kids and mother-in-law for two nights.  
  • December 13th jet off for one week beach holiday - details to be nailed down once I can get a cheap sell-off out of Edmonton.   The weeks prior to Christmas are considered low season  as long as they don't include Christmas for charters(*this I know from my travel agent days) and should go on sale approximately 4-6 weeks prior. We are flexible as to our destination but likely will end up in Mexico because we love it and we miss it.  There are several departures the day I want to travel and I will watch it like a hawk until we find something in our price range.  Packages are way cheaper than airfare when they go on sell-off  - for instance $1000 per person for airfare alone, $500-$900 per person on package sell-off including airfare, hotel, transfers, meals and drinks. 
  • December 20th fly back to Alberta celebrating Christmas with the family on Dec 21st and flying back to the Island on December 22 to have some R&R and spend Christmas with my Mom. We own our own company and in our line of work (training/consulting)there is little business that can be done after the 10th of December so it is fine to take this time off as no billings will be lost.


Fortunately, when we went to Europe this Spring that trip was fully paid for before we departed including all spending money.  The second we landed I started tucking money back into the travel fund and it is 2/3 funded for all the above plans.  Our bills have decreased this summer as well, and as of September we are down to paying child support on only one kid which will continue for a few years more.  Child support has always been our biggest bill and hubby paid it on four kids on time every time since his divorce 13 years ago.   All education costs had been saved for them as well (he was very diligent putting away money from the time the kids were born) so we don't have to be forking out for that either.

None of this would be achievable without preplanning for both time and money.  Have you started planning for the big C?


10 comments:

  1. Yes, I have started saving, sort of. I don't spend as much as you do, and cannot save for C, but I have lots of rebates and swag bucks for three children, spouses, and four grandchildren. Chocolate, turkey, and other sweets will be in the budget because I am thrifty and find deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swagbucks are great and I used to save them exclusively for Christmas but used them this year on travel books for myself :) It is surprising how many freebies one can rack up in a year. This year way more than others we actually have more cash but the budget will remain the same as we always have to be very careful with four kids to keep it equal.

      Delete
  2. We don't have many people that we exchange gifts with any more. Wayne gives magazine subscriptions to a friend in Los Angeles, a few for our friend in Bellingham and of course, John in Powell River. Wayne and I don't exchange much on Christmas day, we tell each other during the year which purchase is to be "credited" towards upcoming birthdays and Christmas. Having surprise gifts doesn't mean much to us any more. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, my Birthday is tomorrow and I want for nothing. In the end I think hubby is buying me lights I wanted for the front of the house (*I bought him a BBQ for his birthday so we are both practical that way)

      Delete
  3. Preplanning may be the key to life or at least a good life.
    I have money set aside for Christmas but I'm short. Story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is that you have several months left! Now that no kids are living at home full time other than footing the College bill you shall be flush with cash, I assure you!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you have seen decorations already, it's unbelievable, isn't it?

    I have money put aside for Christmas (when I gave up work we had to take some money from an investment for living on, so I put aside money for Christmas) and have so far purchased gifts for my daughter and my daughter in law. I only have a small list of people that I do give gifts to so that helps.

    We usually have an extended family get together (husband's side) close to Christmas at the nursing home where my mother in law lives but she is not in terribly good health so not sure whether that would go ahead this year. I do hope so as it's lovely to catch up with family members that we don't get to see very often.

    Sounds like you are very organised, as usual :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of the kids have to ask for our "Christmas Day" on the 22nd off so and I have to coordinate flights/hotels/car rentals so things are a bit complicated. It is nice to see everyone close to Christmas though.

      Delete
  5. Planning is everything! That being said, no, Christmas is the furthest thing from my mind right now. Waiting for house in PEI to be sold, should close the end of August if all goes well. Then my travels to England, THEN I'll start thinking about Christmas...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on our busy lifestyle if I don't plan months in advance, I am afraid none of the fun stuff would ever happen. I hope everything goes through with the PEI house and that you have a wonderful trip to England!

      Delete