Friday, October 11, 2019

Thankful


Yes, Canadian Thanksgiving is on Monday.  I am so thankful this little hairy creature is on the mend.  It was four weeks ago today that we took Buddy to the vet and found out he had a dislocated hip.  The picture above was taken on Tuesday.  He was anticipating his first short walk since the incident.  We are not allowed to walk him more than 2 or 3 blocks.  He got a haircut this week and I am pretty sure that made him feel more like himself.  Our groomer (also the lady we got him from and who sits him when we go away) had to give him quite a close cut to make his shaved areas blend in with others.  We are not those dog people who regularly dress their dogs in clothing - but - Buddy is small and gets cold easily but loves walks.  Hubby bought that red jacket last year....I thought he was crazy but we use it quite often in the winter.  The temperature has dropped sharply here and we are seeing frosts every day now.  



The sign of a relaxed pain-free dog :)  It is so nice to see he is almost back to normal after a month of being in pain and in a sling and on a harness.  He is now allowed to be leash free in the house.  We are taking it slower in the back yard though, perhaps a few more days on leash out there.  

We are celebrating Thanksgiving on Sunday at a friends house.  She also invited my Mother.  My friend is a fabulous cook and we will all be in for a tasty meal.  Mom cashed in her Quality foods points this week to redeem for a 6.8 KG (15 lb) turkey.  Mom doesn't have a big freezer and due to the fact that I will be cooking it I took it home.  We will save this for Christmas.  If I had to buy a turkey I tend to stick to .99 cents a pound or less birds, sometimes Grade B if I can't get Grade A for that.  Usually I can buy a nice turkey for less than $20.  This one was $40!  Glad she had the points.

 This weekend I will plant my garlic.  On Vancouver Island we plant it in October and harvest late June or early July.  I've never grown it before but I've done my research.  This is organic Russian garlic that I picked up at the farmers market.  I usually buy nonorganic cheaper garlic but I wanted some for planting so spent the $3 for this back in September.  That came out of the grocery fund.

Since financial belts have been tightened around here due to losing our largest client there is basically zero eating out. This is one of our favorite homemade meals.  Fried rice with veggies.  I served it with a roasted chicken breast.  With the exception of the chicken, the rest is vegan as I use olive oil and the rest is just vegetables and a small bit of soy sauce.  When I make rice I usually make enough so that we can have fried rice the next day since it only works well with reheated rice.

Last week I took out the tomato plants.  Here is the last of the harvest.  Once again a good tomato year.  There are a few containers of frozen tomatoes in the freezer as well, pretty good for only growing 3 pants.  I ate my last strawberry until Spring as well.  Some strawberries were left in a pot and some were transplanted.  I am not sure which will do better over winter but I am sure I will have more free strawberries next summer.


So that's what is shaking in our world.  I am so relieved that we are no longer on 24 hr watch/care with Buddy.  We are being super careful but he is back to 80% of his previous health.  His hurt leg has lost a little muscle so we are trying to ensure he gets a small bit of exercise every day.  Buddy used to be a picky eater, sometimes only eating one meal a day.  Ever since he got hurt food is about the only thing that made him happy so he has put on a pound or 2 which is great because he is a super lean dog to begin with.  He is allowed to jump on and off the bed but we try and lift him on when we see him heading there.

Our play time is permanently changed though, no more tossing or chasing the ball for him.  We will figure out other ways to play so that we never have to go through this again.

Happy Thanksgiving for everyone in Canada - and happy weekend to everyone else!

23 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear the Buddy is healing well. I can imagine the relief you feel.

    I haven't bought a turkey for several years, the price is just too much to bear. Besides to cook a turkey for 3 or 4 of us seems as waste as none of us particularly enjoy it. I'm better off with a pork loin roast seasoned with sage. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love pork loin but holidays usually mean Turkey at our house. I have some great pear butter that I made last year that would go really well with your pork loin lol.

      Delete
  2. Great news about Buddy! I'm sorry to hear about your largest client. Do you have other potential replacements in the hopper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do but it will take a while. Such is life. They were a long-term client and they have overextended themselves so have to cut back. We will be fine...it is wonderful to be debt free :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I can smell the turkey in my mind. Here we do turkey at Thanksgiving but often eat goose at Christmastime.
    I am so glad Buddy is continuing to do so well. I imagine he is ready to get back to his regular doggy routine too! The red coat is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cooked a goose, only had it in a restaurant. Peking duck too in Chinese restaurants...maybe next year

      Delete
  4. I too am sorry to hear you lost your biggest client, but glad you are able to deal with that loss and still be okay. It's so good to see Buddy looking and feeling like himself again. I'm wondering what kind of games you can play with him. Maybe more mental stimulation games? I have a friend who trains her dog to find things that are hidden. She takes him to nursing homes and plays the game to entertain the residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We play keep away where he runs around with the ball in his mouth and I pretend I am trying to get it away. Low impact if done slowly and he loves it. We also play tug of war with a sock with a ball in it. He still packs all his toys around though, constantly trying to get us to throw them

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I'm delighted to hear how well Buddy is doing.
    Your fried rice looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I thought of you while I was making thinking if you ever make it to Canada it is a nice vegetarian dish (maybe add some friend paneer, love that stuff ever since our Indian friend made it for us)

      Delete
  6. Your Buddy looks like such a good boy! ...glad he is on the mend.
    The rice dish looks excellent too! We eat out very little..mostly due to the fact the food is sub-par for the money spent. (although it is nice to be waited upon!). But we have our own beef so I am grateful for that luxury....don't eat poultry unless it is a Thanksgiving-type meal, even then I have had pheasant or Canada goose in the past few years!

    Again, so glad your pup is doing well.

    Midwest Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are glad he is back to his old tricks too. We eat less meat than we used too...lots of fish although it is not my favorite. Chicken is affordable here and if I catch the right sales I can try and get beef at decent prices. We really just eat whatever is on sale!

      Delete
  7. We've got one American friend here who usually insists on Thanksgiving dinner (in November). She just had a baby. I wonder if we'll still have to do it this year. Turkeys tend to be special order items! Glad to see Buddy looking so well and happy. That red coat is classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived there we'd probably do something else. I'd be shocked if most people have a big enough oven for a turkey there!

      Delete
  8. I will be scanning the ads soon for cheap turkeys and turkey breasts. Glad your dog is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is nice having a turkey tucked away in the freezer for Christmas. Next up that $20 bag of pecans for my fruitcake cookies...

      Delete
  9. Love that picture of Buddy on his back, talk about "relaxed"! Glad he's better now too, it was a worry for you wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were both very worried - but he appears almost back to normal except doesn't like jumping up on the bed, down is ok. That is fine, we just make him wait for us to come and pick him up. I am ok if that is permanently the way it is. We thought about getting steps but I am pretty sure he wouldn't use them and we'd probably hurt ourselves on them by tripping over them. This is much better.

      Delete
  10. I very happy for you all, Buddy appears fully recovered. I do understand that play time will change and that might not be easy at first. We had a dog become semi paralyzed and then recovered and there was a major playtime change. She still kept bringing us her frisbee until we got smart and hid it.

    Perhaps you can be thankful about the loss of the client in that at least they cut back before you had done the work and then they could not pay you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we generally have clients prepay as our time is money and to not get paid for that would suck!

      Delete
  11. OMG that shot of Buddy is so darn cute. My lab lays like that - totally NO SHAME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the let it all hang out pose...but at least he is now able to do that! For weeks he wasn't so it's nice to see him relax.

      Delete