Monday, October 28, 2019

Election, Book Sale and Family Visit

A busy week at the island pad.  Monday I survived working the election.  Yes, survived.  Nothing like being on your feet for 14.5 hours straight with 2 10 minute breaks.  It took 2 days afterward to recover.  And I was one of the younger ones working it!  Oh well, it's done.  Only a couple of ill-prepared cranky people.  Funny enough they were all around 25-30-year-old men versus cranky old people like I expected.  In Canada you can't vote on election day if you don't have the proper ID or paperwork and you can only vote at a specific place.  In advance polls there are a lot more options but because our system is still entirely manual with hand counts (mainly a preventative measure for security as they wait until other countries master electronic voting without outside interference) things have to be done the way they are done.  Oh, and one lady who said her 10-month-old was in the car with her husband and she simply could not wait in a 20-minute line....ok then.  Go home.  Really I think she expected to let her go to the front.  Um, no.  People are just thoughtless some times.


We are experiencing the prettiest fall for many years, primarily because we didn't have a drought this summer like others and the trees didn't lose their leaves from lack of water.  This week we've had a lot of wind though so many of the leaves are now on the ground.


I took in a bag of stuff to the thrift store.  This included items from both my house and Mom's.  Buddy is so snoopy, he was sniffing the bag just a moment before this shot.  He is doing really well, with short walks every day to continue his physiotherapy after his hip dislocation.  We are at 6 weeks now.


A few freebies came in the mail this week.

Other than that we went to a used book sale for charity.  I only bought 4 books as they raised the prices from last year and even though it is for charity it is difficult for me to spend $2.50 on a used book when I see them all the time at the thrift stores for 50 cents to a dollar.  I only bought hard-to-find authors and one book for resale.

We had a nice but short visit from Stepson #1 and his GF.   She is such a nice girl.  There was actually some discussions around where a wedding would take place (Ottawa) even though they aren't engaged yet.  It will happen likely in the next three years, there is school to finish and maybe a house to be purchased first.  Even better it came out that she wants to start thrift store shopping to help save the environment.  I was able to brag about my wardrobe being 90 percent thrift store purchases, exceptions being undergarments.  I still have a couple of items that are 10 plus years old that were purchased new before I became a thrift store addict.

Work seems to be getting busier which is good.  A couple of inquiries last week which will hopefully turn into signed contracts.  In the meantime, we are finishing up our second online course which takes a ton of work upfront but when it sells is basically residual income.

That's what is shaking this week.  I still have dental pain so likely will have to go back and get that fixed (think $$$).  It's been a month, you think modern dentistry would be better than that. 

We are prepared for the hordes of trick or treaters but this year one of us will have to stay with Buddy leashed in the house so he doesn't go bananas.  Halloween is his most hated time of year.  I am not sure we are going to decorate this year for it (have the decorations) as I hate to do so only for just one day.  I enjoy decorating for Christmas as the decorations are up from Nov 25 to Jan 1. We shall see.  Happy Week everyone!


14 comments:

  1. it sounds like I should never volunteer as an election official-I'd need weeks to recover. I'm glad buddy is doing better. Your stepson's girlfriend sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get paid for elections in Canada, I am not sure the process would work if it was wholly volunteer. It is minimum wage though. My stepson's GF is all we could hope for. They bloody better get married at some point lol

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that was the reason for manual ballots. Good to know. With only one thing to vote for it makes it feasible. In the States the November ballot has more that 25 positions and issues to vote on. Nice to hear Buddy is progress well. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so glad we vote for one thing at a time here. Buddy is back to 100% energy and trouble level

      Delete
  3. We only have one type of election, you register to vote and have the option of a postal vote (which is what we do) or receive a card through the post and go to your designated place to vote. If you forget your card it isn't a problem as long as you have another form of ID to check off again the electoral role.
    I can imagine you get some real ****holes, that's the general public for you unfortunately!
    Buddy is looking very handsome, glad he's doing well.
    We'll be padlocking the gate come sunset on 31st October. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't postal vote unless someone requests that way in advance as a special ballot. That makes way more sense for shutins though

      Delete
  4. Aren't those leaves pretty! I never used to like autumn but it is growing on me. And well done for working that election. That's a long time to be on your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, every time I work an election (3rd time) I say I won't do it again...then a couple of years later...

      Delete
  5. My son and I walked over to our polling station and it was pretty quiet when we arrived. One of the women at our station was a former co-worker and she waved away my offer of additional ID. :) She said that certain stations were busy but she and her co-volunteer were not but she was expecting the run would happen as it was just around 5 p.m. They were able to sit, you must have been directing traffic? I'm pretty certain I'd not have been able to stand all day.

    Good on your SS's g/f. I bet she'll find that thrift shopping will provide some unique pieces as well. Good luck with the contracts and with Halloween. We've got nearly 3 inches of snow on the ground so I'm assuming we'll have fewer children than in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a person direction. We had 10 polling stations in our gym and 10 in the gym next to us so we had a lot of traffic

      Delete
  6. You never stop, always something. I did think of you on the 21st and wondered how you were managing. I won that to have Buddy upset on the 31st. Maybe turn the lights off this year. He deserves to be settled after all he has been through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy did well on Halloween. We each took him for a walk so avoid trick or treaters then when we later were home I kept him in his harness sleeping on the bed and he just woofed a couple of times. Not nearly as insane as past years. Also we only had 23 trick or treaters...a big disappointment. Other years between 30-60.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see Buddy doing so well. We had three groups of kids for Halloween, maybe twelve little ones total. Our weather was horrid. Teddy loves Halloween and wants to meet everyone. She was disappointed, we were not. We have a whole bowl of candy to ourselves!

    I gag at the thought of even paying for a book now that I have a Nook. I used to buy them three for a buck and if a store charged more, I'd skip. Color me cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both have electronic devices to read books (Fire tablet and proper Kindle) but I hate reading on them, much prefer old fashioned books. Hubby reads on both. The only good thing about where I buy books is that it is always going to a charity - and Mom and I trade back and forth so they get read twice before redonating.

      Delete