Tuesday, September 10, 2019

And Just Like That - It's September!


It is hard to believe it is September already - and that summer is almost over.  We recently visited our favorite farmers market and they have a large pumpkin field that is all set for fall.  Apparently, pumpkins can last quite a long time in the field on the vine even if they are done growing.  



Bargain of the week - 3 cobs of peaches and cream corn for 15 cents - yes, a whopping 5 cents each.  And it was still tasty even though it was the last of the season.


Mom and I stopped at a Church sale on Saturday where I found these 3 Mexican Talavera decorative plates for $2.  I think if you added up all the different pieces of Mexican pottery I have the total investment would be less than $30. There is almost enough to fill the top of the cupboards which was my goal.  I also found the stands in a thrift store for $2 the same day.  Plate stands are bloody expensive so it was a good find.  

Hubby had an eye exam as felt his eyes were changing.  It turns out he has exactly the same prescription as a year and a half ago, which is actually good news.  An eye exam normally costs $110 at Costco but as he has the start of a cataract our BC Healthcare covers $20 of it so he paid $90.  He was told he likely just needed a pair of prescription reading glasses.  He can't buy over the counter ones as his eyes need different strengths.  Although Costco is much more reasonable than other dispensaries he trusted me and we ordered prescription reading glasses online for $99 through Clearly.ca where I buy my glasses (for driving).  They arrived yesterday, a quick 7-day turnaround - and they are perfect.  He was impressed and immediately started reading with them.

Mom also needed prescription reading glasses after her cataract surgery but we managed to find some for her for $44.  Apparently hubby's were more expensive due to the type of lens he needs.

We also saved a bundle of money by doing one of our last household maintenance chores.  The eaves on our house have not ever been painted since the first time when it was built 13 year ago.  Hubby managed to do the lower side by himself.  We called painters to see if they would consider coming out but we couldn't even get one to quote us. We rented a 30-foot ladder from Home Depot ($25 for 4 hours) and bravely painted it ourselves.  We had to take turns as our legs got shaky from being up so high but we managed to do it without hurting ourselves.  I don't think we will ever do that again though, it was seriously difficult even though it was just two boards either side with a 30-foot peak.  You could only paint two feet and then had to move the ladder.  We did 2 coats and kept it the original colour.  We have very little paint on our home, most of it is siding that is why the painters did not want to come out to quote.  We were both extremely sore for days afterwards due to bracing ourselves and using every body muscle to remain on the ladder and paint at the same time.  Originally hubby intended to paint it all and I was to hold the ladder (he is a better painter) but there was no way he could get it all done.  I volunteered to go up and it turns out I am better with the very high heights than he is.  At least that is off our list - we have been talking about it for 3 years.

So life has continued to be busy.  Our business could be busier, we went from our busiest year ever last year to this year when some times we don't have enough work. Oh well, the joy of self-employment.  Fortunately, we have zero debt and have manageable bills.  We did adjust our salaries downward as I always like to ensure we have at least 6 months worth of salaries/bill money in the corporate account at any one time.  Last year we got so busy I had no choice except to increase them (too much money in the corporate account and you just pay more tax).  The business is slower as the economy in Canada in general is worse than it was a year ago.  Why?  Many reasons but those who say there is a worldwide economic slowdown are correct.  

Anyway, I have 30 brand new bottles of wine in the cupboard as I just bottled a new batch ($4 a pop) and a boatload of jam so I am ready for whatever may come :)



16 comments:

  1. Wow, major chore done. Once was enough, hire painters in 13 years if they need painting again. Good job on finding the correct glasses.

    Love the Mexican pottery. Not so much the downturn in the economy. However life is short and we are planning a very expensive ( for us ) two week vacation for October 2020. Best go now while we are still allowed to travel and I am capable of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in 13 years a painter is willing to come out and consider the job, none were this time :( We had no choice, do it ourselves or leave it. If we ever have to do it again we will rent scaffolding (but I can't see us doing that either). Oh, where to in 2020?? A cruise?

      Delete
  2. 5 cents a cob, that's amazing! The best I've seen was 59 cents. My son doesn't care for it so I've only bought a few cobs so I'm not breaking the bank.

    Good deal on the glasses and the Mexican dishware. Very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw corn this week for 60 cents, must have been the end of a batch they were blowing out at 5 cents

      Delete
  3. I love how you find the best bargains around. 30 bottles of wine! I remember you telling how you made it. We are going to make mead this fall from the honey we found a bit on the bitter side. I guess mead is like honey wine.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plates. Haven't been to our thrift stores in a long time. You just don't know what you will find. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always find stuff as am trying to be pretty careful at what I bring home, but always seem to have a bit of luck

      Delete
  5. We've done a lot of home repair jobs this Summer. Getting that whole list off the table. We do need some interior painting done still but it's a stairwell and an upstairs hallway so we aren't going to attempt that ourselves. I hope I can find a handyman who will do it for less than a gazillion dollars but I am not hopeful. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find a mobile handyman, send one over to me will you!

      Delete
  6. Thise plates are beautiful. We had a great collection of Talavera that we left behind when we moved to Spain. I’m sorry we didn’t ship it with our other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Mexican pottery but also saw some beautiful pieces in Spain. I managed to stuff 2 flowerpots in my bag on the way home, still very pretty and used all the time

      Delete
  7. Love your Mexican pottery, so cheerful and bright. What a great find.
    30 bottles of wine! Do you need any help drinking it? I'd happily lend a hand. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book your ticket and the wine awaits! At $4 CAD a bottle a true bargain (usually they are $12 plus as we are taxed heavily on liquor here)

      Delete
  8. Uuurrgg, don't even mention guttering! Mine don't need painting but I should get up there to make sure there are no leaves in there. I don't like heights though! And there is so much to do of course. Oh well, it should keep me out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always something with a house. I don't like heights nor does hubby, shocked we actually were able to do that job. Just don't look down

      Delete