Sunday, July 7, 2019

This and That

Just a quick post today, not much going on.  It rained most of the weekend - I am totally ok with that as we need the rain.  It does look like there will be the odd rain or two in the forecast this week which would be a blessing.  After months with little or no rain this helps to take our fire risk down and allows us to go without watering the yard for a brief period of time. 

#grow your own

We ate our first tomato albeit a cherry tomato this week.  There are lots of tomatoes on the vine and so I don't intend on buying any more tomatoes until late September/October now.  There are a couple more peas on the vine but I think they are mostly done.  The strawberries are just starting to ripen on round 2 - have to love everbearing strawberries that keep on giving in the summer months. 


We did some weeding on Tuesday night in my friends garden and came home with a cabbage, some ultra hot French radishes, more raspberries, a small zucchini and a few potatoes from a plant she wanted to remove.  

All of this helps with the grocery budget.  This week Mom has eye surgery and I have a boatload of work to do so that will keep me busy all week.  Even better that it should rain as I have a hard time working when it is beautiful outside.  

On living the used life:  hubby is right now looking at a set of four used winter tires for our truck, I just communicated with someone on Facebook to go buy their tablecloth (Mexican and long enough for our table which has surface issues and is waiting to be replaced).  I also listed 6 items on our Facebook bidding site, two of which have bids already.  All but one of these had been listed and unsold previously - the beautiful days of summer aren't great selling days.  Those plates under the veggies in the pictures were purchased used off our bidding site last year - I haven't broke a single one, they were originally an extremely expensive set at $150 but we paid a whopping $7 (see this post).

It's cool enough to do baked potatoes in the oven today and hubby will grill some steaks - even if it is raining as we have the BBQ under the overhang on our patio.

Have a great week everyone!!



30 comments:

  1. It's a scorcher here today, 29C with lots of humidity as we had rain yesterday in the city. I was at an airshow 75 km. away and we didn't get a drop.

    The veg look so good, and the plates are lovely too. Have a good week and good luck to your mom on her eye surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow - so hot! We've had one of the wettest most moderate Julys since we moved here this year. Not sure what August will hold.

      Delete
  2. July been pretty dried so far, here in North Idaho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other years our fire risk has been really high so the rain is welcome, so unusual to see things green in July

      Delete
  3. Great gardening haul from your friend. We have our first ripe tomato. The squirrels have destroyed our garden this year, the pests. :-(

    We are just home from three weeks of trips & various adventures, so trying to get the house back in order & life restored. We're grilling hot dogs & sausages & salmon (lots of different taste) & the boys are enjoying the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find salmon really strong but the rest of my family likes it. I am really hoping we catch a ling cod though so we can do fish and chips this year. Fortunately the squirrels are no where near my garden as there are many tall trees about 2 blocks away where they tend to hang out - and I am ok with that!

      Delete
  4. It is certainly a saving to not have to water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plus I get tiring of watering all the flowers and veggies every single day

      Delete
  5. Having a lull in the action is a good thing. The only vegetable we have planted here at home are cucumbers and so far we have not seen anything but flowers - but we planted them late. Dean says our garden at the ranch is producing a bumper crop of things as is his. Since we planted different things - we all share! God speed on your mom's eye surgery. I was surprised when I learned my 30 year old son had eye surgery over a week ago. It was Lasik but I was still surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cucumbers are acting weird this year, only one mishapen one - but I googled and apparently they likely need nitrogen so just gave them some plant food which should hopefully do the trick

      Delete
  6. Was gong to wish you a great weekend but realized it’s over! So, have a great week... and enjoy those radishes. Yum. And the rain. I miss that,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really miss the rain? Or are you just saying that?

      Delete
  7. Lovely veggie haul. I think that our first cucumber is ready but not sure if I should pick it or let it go longer. Good luck toy Mom and her last eye surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My cucumbers are doing odd - but I've fed them some food and lots of summer left so hopefully they will perk up.

      Delete
  8. Ah fresh home grown produce is the best__just ask the squirrels and chipmunks in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I have neither in my yard - they hang out a few blocks from here in the old growth forest instead :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoy the rain and the food you are growing. It is always inspiring for me to see what people are growing in their gardens. I recently planted the root of a celery and it has regrown. I'm so excited about that as I've never grown celery before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year it is totally worth trying celery since it is so bloody expensive - although for the first time last week I saw it at a normal price.

      Delete
  10. It's too hot and dry here in Louisiana, about 102F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey and now all the rain from the tropical storm. I hope you don't have damage

      Delete
  11. We have had zero luck with growing veggies. No tomatoes, no squash, no peppers. We had 3 cucumbers, but they were bitter. Now I see why people here don't grow their own. The nights are too hot and some plants like it cool. It just isn't happening. I may just have to grow herbs in my raised beds instead. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbs are always a winner although some bugs like mine here. Some things are easier than others I guess

      Delete
  12. I didn't think I'd be saying this after such a long and extremely wet spring but we need rain! The rain we had in the spring prevented the farmers from getting their seeds planted - most crops were 2-3 weeks late but now it's very dry. Can never get the right weather at the right time! But I do hope my deck guy doesn't get delayed because of rain of which there is some in the future. Never satisfied am I? I love your little still life above - such vibrant colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your deck build is going ok! That is likely our plan next summer although currently we really have no idea what we are doing with the yard

      Delete
  13. That's a great haul! Just redcurrants here this year, it's been a summer of decorative grows this year. Style over subsistence! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when you don't have time to deal with a garden that's the way it is. Yours always looks lovely though!

      Delete
  14. I'm not having much luck with my veggies either this year but it could be neglect! The tomatoes have FINALLY started to show willing and the redcurrants too but not much else. Too much rain in June I think and too hot in July!! You can't win sometimes can you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - all you can do is plant and hope. I would never want to be a farmer that relied on so many factors to make a living.

      Delete
  15. I know you are irked at the price of celery since last year. Here's an article about why it's so pricey.........

    https://lancasteronline.com/features/here-s-why-celery-has-quadrupled-in-price-since-november/article_112b7f18-8cf0-11e9-8041-b72ec5b5dfbc.html?fbclid=IwAR05f1P9NIPaPS4qy1mzY4-q67pqkA78MMn31rQQVWyF9kN5_LY0FfUmzJM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it? But for the first time I saw some for $2.99 a head the other day which is more like our normal price - I think this is BC grown which is a good thing!

      Delete