Saturday, June 15, 2019

Living in Paradise


This is Buddy's bad hair day look - just like a human.  He doesn't like mornings, is one of those dogs you have to make get out of bed so you can make it.  We had taken him for a long walk on the beach the night before so he was super tired when we got home and crashed.  This is the result - morning after the beach look.


We've taste-tested the sugar snap peas and they are fabulous.  Now to stay away from them for another week or so until they are fully grown.  The shells are super sweet and edible which is why I grew this kind.


Lots of tomatoes coming, likely I will be supplying Mom all summer.  These will be ready in July


Lots of baby cucumbers coming!  I love growing cucumbers, this is only the second year.


We helped deliver a load of topsoil to my friend's house (the one we have been helping with the garden) and she gave us a large bunch of basil, garlic scapes and some raspberries which are just starting to ripen.  


Today I am off to man the wildlife rescue gift shop in my volunteer gig.  In May I volunteered 13 hours and it will likely average 12-16 hours a month.  There is no obligation but they are short on volunteers right now so I hope they train more to work there as I do want to limit volunteering to once per week.  I enjoy it and love seeing them be able to release animals back into the wild.  This week they took in a baby humming bird - I borrowed this picture from their instagram account.  The cotton swab is for size comparison - such a tiny thing.  It isn't hurt but the Mom and nest were nowhere around so he had to be rescued.  Once she grows up after being hand-fed every few minutes she will be released. If at all interested in seeing the wildlife stories their instagram handle is @marswildliferescue.  When I was working in the shop someone asked me what percentage of profits goes to the animals.  100%!  Sometimes people don't realize every single person you see within an organization is a volunteer.  There is only one paid position and that is a nominal fee to the man who lives on site as caretaker.    I don't get to see the animals up close and personal very often as they are injured wildlife and the goal is just that - to keep them wild so they can be released.  We do have ambassador birds that can't be released back to the wild that are shown to the public(with special permits) as well as live video feeds from the hospital which  doesn't harm the animals in any way.  Right now the place has 33 raccoons, 7 fawns, numerous ducks, geese, eagles, owls and other types of birds, and one otter.  It started out as a bird rescue but morphed into other animals due to need.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I am a thrift store shopper for 90% of my wardrobe - exception being underclothes and the odd pair of shoes.  I do so because I love thrift shopping, it saves money and creates less waste.  Vintage Vixen has put a call out to join the slow fashion movement and choose used - see her full post here.  Basically from June 21 - September 21 you commit to not buying any new clothing - choose used instead.  I know many of my readers already are thrift store fashion mavens but if you haven't tried it now is the time.  It's better for your pocketbook and definitely better for the planet.

Have a great weekend everyone!  

23 comments:

  1. I love thrift shopping and have "joined the movement!" I agree there is far too much waste in the clothing/fashion industry. Such a drain on our precious resources and environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, thrift shopping is way more fun, you never know what you will find!

      Delete
  2. My hair is just like Buddy's when I wash it and go to bed before untangling/brushing it. I am in with the challenge. I do not intend to buy any new piece of clothing till September 21. I do not buy used clothes because, those stores are not very popular here, I am overweight and also it is a cultural thing too. There are some vintage clothing stores that are frequented by students and some artist type people. They are also not as cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are so lucky with the amount of thrift stores we have here, there are at least 7 over 2 small towns. And there is only one decent place to buy new clothes so thrift shopping rules here.

      Delete
  3. You do make me laugh - look at Buddy's hair! He's adorable, his sleeping habits sound like Jon's!
    The produce is doing well and I'm glad the volunteering is proving rewarding. That baby hummingbird is the cutest.
    Thanks for the shout out, only another 130 names and SFS have reached their target! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm late to the game, but just signed up and they are now at 113%!

      Delete
    2. Seriously I have to kick him off the bed to make it...he loves sleeping in. Glad they made the goal! It's the little things that sometimes change the world and how people view things.

      Delete
  4. I admire your volunteer work! It feels good to give back.
    Your snap peas spund good! I have never grown any but perhaps next year. The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes here at the ranch. And the Jalapeno peppers are so plentiful!! Baskets and baskets of them!!! And they are HOT!
    Yes, I love buying used instead of new. Probably comes from my childhood when that was all we had - what someone else gave us. I buy at thift shops but people continue to give me lots of things and I am so blessed to get them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might grow some jalapenos next year, I am running out of growing room though! I wonder if they grow well in pots

      Delete
  5. I have never seen a baby hummingbird. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so delicate and tiny, a pure miracle someone found this one and managed to get it to the rescue

      Delete
  6. I look like Buddy when I get off a flight!!! And I can't believe how far advanced your veggies are. We're having a wet spring so so far I have nothing growing. In fact I have to go out and re-pot my sunflower before it has to take swimming lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in a drought, lots of sun, no rain. We desperately need some!

      Delete
  7. Oh my god that baby hummingbird! I had a lot else to say but I don’t remember any of it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pretty freaking cute. The baby raccoons are pretty sweet too - they have 14 of them right now

      Delete
  8. The only new clothes I buy are the ones at the thrift store that just happen to have their original store tags on them, otherwise it's secondhand for me and I find great deals on name brand items. Your veggies are way ahead of mine. I'm still waiting for flowers. Hoping to get some good cukes. Last year was a total fail. How sweet is that baby hummingbird! I don't know what we'd do without volunteers to help care for injured animals of all kinds. How wonderful that you get to be a part of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky in North America to have so many great thrift stores, aren't we? We have a lot of bees around, maybe that is the issue with no flowers?

      Delete
  9. What a tiny little bird, I hope she survives. Buddy and I look a lot alike first thing in the morning and I can't blame it on time at the beach.

    I've been buying used clothing for years, though do occasionally purchase something new. I did get a couple of new t-shirts on my cruise in January, $10 each on sale. But other than that I haven't bought any clothing this year, making do with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caregivers are so experienced - if anyone can make that bird survive it's them.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the volunteering. We had a hummingbird nest on the Isla a few years ago but overnight the babies died. Great job on the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummingbirds are so tiny, I can't even imagine what it is like to try and feed that bird - every seven minutes as they burn so many calories. They have timers on their belts to maintain the feeding schedules.

      Delete
  11. Yep=I'm into the thrift wardrobe mode now as well. Thank you for writing about your volunteer gig-fascinating and so worthy an operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the volunteering so far. If it starts to become not fun I will no longer do it but so far it's great!

      Delete