Monday, June 4, 2018

Back to Regular Life!


Although life has resumed at it's pre-vacation break neck speed we always try and walk Buddy and on our walk the other day we saw that the baby ducks had hatched while we were gone at the pond on our regular route.  So bloody cute - there were about 20 of them from various Mother ducks there zipping about like crazy on the water.  



Since I haven't posted about our April or May grocery expense here are our tallies:

Budget $575 per month (includes all cleaners, OTCs and non food items-2 adults)

April - $18.69 left from March + $575 = $593.69
Ended the month at $570.82.  Under budget!

May - $22.87 left from April  + $575 = $597.87
Ended the month at $574.36.  Under budget again!

You would think I would have been a lot lower in May being away but due to having to restock up the fridge and freezer I was just under budget.  Oh well, time to tighten the belt as July and August we have 3 sets of visitors between American cousins and kids coming to visit. 

I've been busy not just with work but have managed to book our August fishing trip - last year we had so much fun we decided to make it an annual event.  All monies from bottle returns, rolled change, rebates and reselling items has gone into this fund.  It costs $550 for the 3 of us (Mom, Hubby and I) to go fishing for 5 hours - not including licenses or guide tip.  I handed over $100 deposit yesterday and almost have the rest saved up, only about $50 to go. 

We are so busy that I ordered a 2019 wall calendar for the company and we have chosen dates for our winter holiday - mid January we will be travelling to Ixtapa Mexico for 8 nights.  This is one of those lie on the beach and wander around holidays, mostly R&R which we need.  Europe vacations are fun but never relaxing as we always try and see too much.  Although I've been to Mexico 15 times I've never been to this area so something new to see.  Mostly we want to walk on the beach, eat Mexican food and get a tan.  Yes, we do that sometimes :)

This holiday will be an extra inexpensive one as we are using points to get there - $350 in air taxes only and I've booked a 4 star hotel for less than $100 CAD a night on a book early special.  Yes, we could make it even cheaper in an apartment but since it is just the two of us I do not wish to cook this trip.  We refuse to go all inclusive so will pay as we go, food and everything is so much better that way. 

Other than that life is good.  My friend just hand delivered two pieces of scrumpcious home made German rhubarb raspberry crumb cake - it doesn't get much better than that!

23 comments:

  1. Isn't planning your next trip fun! I just booked Sicily for my 60th birthday in September and Sri Lanka in March. I budget for my travelling but even then I sometimes get the jitters thinking "oh my goodness, should I be doing this". But yep, as long as I am reasonable I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can/want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sicily and Sri Lanka! I can't wait to see the photos. I actually thought about sicily but it is harder to get to from here, longer flying times with not great connections. And Sri Lanka-that will be amazing

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you just returned form your trip and you have a mini trip and another big one already in the works.
    The duck photos are lovely. I really do like watching them swim when they are so small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't tend to spend money on much else other than travel, that is for sure. Difficult to relax with our business unless I book us away

      Delete
  3. those ducks are very cute! -its always nice to have a holiday to look forward to, planning is half the fun I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the planning part, especially when it is for myself. A long time ago I was a travel agent

      Delete
  4. My budget last month was busted so bad. I have to plan ahead for next year. The school year ended with a few donations to retiring staff as well as end of year get-togethers at restaurants. I seemed to be constantly emptying my wallet. Ack! By the way, those ducks are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restaurant meals out are so bloody expensive, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. We're getting ready for NYC and DC in July. That's our foreign trip for the summer. September more of Europe. No baby ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you have trips planned, that's aces in my books

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reminder, I need to book our January Mecico get away as well..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought you were probably going to Mexico...smart aren't I? I'm looking forward to planning for next year already. They say anticipation and planning are almost as enjoyable as the real trip and I believe it. Will definitely fit Vancouver Island and area into my plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexico is one of our happy places, never dissapoints. If you don't plan things nothing happens, at least in our world as we have to book time off so far in advance. So glad you are coming back to our area!

      Delete
  8. That's the best thing you can do after a trip - plan for the next one and a week on a Mexican beach sounds pretty fabulous - it'll break up the winter for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we used to go on a beach holiday every winter when we lived in Alberta as the winters were brutal and we needed it but here the winters aren't so brutal but they are dark and dreary and rainy like where you live.

      Delete
  9. I was hoping to see you on the Isla but I know that you will enjoy Ixtapa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wanted to go back to Mazatlan but from Vancouver Island it requires overnights both directions. Westjet has decent connections through Calgary to Ixtapa and we haven't been so decided to try it out. Ixtapa was built in 1970 as a tourist town next to Zihuatanejo, the fishing village. I have booked 4 nights in each to mix it up, looking forward to some great Mexican food again :)

      Delete
  10. I can't seem to plan anything 2 weeks ahead, let alone next Winter. lol
    Enjoy your crumb cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty, my friend is a great cook. It is difficult to cook her supper as she usually blows us away with her gourmet meals

      Delete
  11. I totally agree, the best time to plan a vacation is when one returns!

    Love the photos of the ducks. The goslings are just starting to appear but I haven't been out to see them yet,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about baby birds, so innocent and bloody cute

      Delete
  12. Our daughter has four choir overnight trips instead of two so that will be our mini trips starting in January but we’ll pick a cabin weekend with no one there in the fall. Your trips sound terrific.

    ReplyDelete