Monday, May 3, 2021

May Check-in - Living The Good Life

I took an unplanned blog break for no apparent reason.  One day I woke up and decided that the only way I was going to be able to get more steps and increase my health stamina was to walk more and spend less time on the computer.  So that is what I have been doing, enjoying life along the way.  Chemo takes a lot out of you and now that I am no longer doing chemo I've slowly been regaining my health.

I've been taking walks, going to the ocean, planting flowers, doing household projects, doing more housework again (and happy to do so!), and cooking.  Most days I can average 3000-5000 steps before I run out of energy as the chronic fatigue still lingers.  Life is good right now and I am trying to enjoy every moment of every day.  Life in pictures from the last month:

The above photo was taken about 2 weeks ago.  My entire scalp peeled but I didn't lose my hair, the final round of chemo just reeked havoc on my head.  I have lost about 50 percent of it and it is really thin in places but starting to grow.
Lots of household projects have taken place.  Next post I will show our completed patio but hubby spray painted our old patio set as we still use it in addition to our new patio set.  I have to say, $100 worth of rustoleum paint and it looks brand new (and that paint doesn't drip!).  Hubby also repainted a couple of metal plant stands.
As always Buddy is by my side all of the time.  Especially when warm sheets come out of the dryer.


The flowers in our neighborhood are stunning right now, such a pretty time on Vancouver Island.

We've had some nice temperatures and enjoyed a few escapes to the beach, our happy place.
Although I have taken a large break from online, Buddy hasn't.  Here he is watching the latest dog videos.
The planting process has begun.  In a month or two my strawberry planters will be overflowing with flowers and strawberries.
I am not doing much gardening this year - I only put in 3 tomato plants and then have chives, rosemary and garlic.  I want a lower maintenance yard this year.  

I got the Pfizer vaccine in mid-April.  I was booked for the end of April as someone who has a compromised immune system I received a special letter to move up in the queue.  I drove Mom to her appointment and it just so happened they double booked her and as I qualified to get the shot immediately they gave me the shot.  Hubby is set to get his mid-May.  For anyone not in Canada our vaccine rollout has had many problems but mostly lack of access to sufficient vaccines means that many are not vaccinated yet.  

And that's what is shaking in my world.  Life is good.  Every Saturday Mom comes over and we either get takeout or make supper.  This past weekend I made chili.  It is so nice to be able to do normal things like make supper and plant flowers again.  I apologize to my fellow blog readers, I've not been around much to read and post for good reason.  Likely my blogging will be taking a back seat to real life now but I will be checking in once in a while.  Take care my friends!


20 comments:

  1. It's fabulous to get an update from you! I'm so glad that life is good and that you've doing all your favourite things. That's a gorgeous photo of you and Buddy and your planting and view of the ocean are just lovely.
    How good to hear that you and your mum have had your jabs and that your husband isn't far behind you.
    Sending you all the love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers - such good news on how you are doing - lots of love - and a treat to see the flowers and the ocean and Buddy.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear from you and thrilled life is good!
    Also glad you and your mom were able to get the covid vaccine.
    I will continue sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you! Buddy sure knows how to be comfortable, doesn't he? I am glad you are enjoying the spring and doing a bit of gardening. Thank you for the nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cheapchick, it is so good to hear that you are doing so well, chemo is done and you're enjoying life. My sister was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, the tumor is in the head and does not appear to have spread. She gets three months of chemo then assuming all goes as expected, the whipple procedure. I follow your blog and find so much hope. Your spirit is strong. My best to you, Celie (p.s. Buddy is adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good you are doing so well. And, you look fantastic, healthy and happy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled you're doing so well! Keep enjoying life and blog only when you can & feel like it. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You (and Buddy) look wonderful, as does the patio furniture, the garden, and the beach. What a beautiful place to live. Wishing you continued better health!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are feeling a bit better and you and your mama got vaccines. I am glad you have Buddy, your hubby and mom close by, and that life is good. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear that things are going well and you're beginning to recover your energy. Hooray for getting your first dose! I was fortunate enough to get mine in mid-March - my fingers are crossed I'll be able to get the next in a few weeks.

    Enjoy your down time and visits to the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering how you were doing. I'm so, so glad that all is well and you're fine - more than fine actually. All that energy is putting me to shame. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise GOD!!! I have been praying for you and I am happy you are doing so well!! Continued prayers from Texas.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its lovely to see your update & thats a lovely photo of you and Buddy! Glad you are feeling a bit better & can potter about the garden. sending you good thoughts XX

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fantastic in the photo, and so happy to get an update from you & hear that you are well.

    Are two family members in Canada have both recently gotten COVID while awaiting vaccines, and one family is quite sick. The other has recovered mostly, but still has quite a bit of lingering effects. So happy they were able to vaccinate you early & keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always it is good to hear from. I can feel the lift of your spirits in your words. You have come so far since last fall. Happy for you and your family. Just keep enjoying each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry I missed this update post. It is lovely to hear form you when you feel up to writing, but I agree, fresh air outside is much better than a key boards. Buddy sure is a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice to see a post from you, I was on a sort of stress related break for awhile. Now I am trying to get back into blogging again.

    I am happy to read you are fully vaccinated now Harvey and I hope to both have had our second shot by the end of June. People 85 and older can now make appointments here in Saskatchewan for their second dose and Harvey at 70 can make his appointment for his second shot on the 31st of this month (usually takes a couple of weeks before it can be done). I get to make mine at 65 on June 7th.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been away from blogging and reading blogs for a while too. Good to hear you are gaining strength and enjoying life more. I'm working on exercising my legs so I can get back to walking. I hurt my knees about two months ago doing a power walk and it has been a long recovery, but coming along. I sure miss walking longer distances and hiking. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  19. How are you feeling by now? Could you please post an update? I've been keeping you in prayer. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete