Monday, November 2, 2020

Keeping On The Rails

 


So I know a lot of people are super anxious today and I am just going to give my two cents.  No matter what happens with regard to the pandemic, your family, the election,  natural disasters, your health, or anything else that we are all experiencing (and certainly not to take away from any of it) but we all need to breathe.  We need to figure out a way to cope.  My way to cope is to accomplish at least one thing every single day.  Somedays this is as simple as taking the dog out (one less time hubby has to do on those days when I am feeling crappy).  If I have zero energy sometimes what I accomplish is in the electronic world like placing a grocery order or doing some company paperwork.  Some days the project is much bigger. 

On Sundays, after my Tuesday treatments, I am starting to feel like a human again (about 40%).  Yesterday that meant putting together the tree we will be using for this holiday season to see if it will work and how many lights we need to buy.  I have always wanted a bigger tree - our last tree is about 18 years old and its lights are finally starting to fail on a string by string basis.   It was a 6.5-foot tree and in a pinch is still in the crawl space to be used.  I've always packed it full of my vintage Christmas glass collection as well as all the family ornaments.  This year back in August hubby and I decided we wanted a bigger tree. 

Let's just say the same instructions were used for 3 different models and they didn't make sense.  So I started logically from top-down and got it done (after a few reworks and the odd swear word).



I bought a 7.5 ft one on our Facebook bidding site for $25.  It had never been used and had no weird smell.  Why had it never been used?  It's the kind that you have to put one branch on at a time.  Yes, we could rush out and spend $300 on a large tree but that just isn't us and I definitely didn't want the hassle of investing a prelit tree only for it to die a year or two later.  It took me 2 hours and it is mostly done although needs some major FLOUFING and lights you can get the idea.  Nice and full and makes use of our 9 and 10-foot ceilings. I felt a major accomplishment.  Hubby did end up having to vacuum up all the leftover bits on the floor (thank you again) but one more thing on the gigantic list of things to make sure we have a lovely holiday has been done.  The reason we are starting so early is that we have several unknown dates circling our heads and one must do something in the meantime to keep sane.

We will buy some lights this week and then maybe next weekend it will be decorated - no set agenda at this point.

You can also see in the picture above that this summer before I had surgery I was bound and determined to finish painting the ceiling tray after that was almost all that was left of the entire house paint that we started in 2019.  There was zero chance I was going to leave it and have to look at two different paint colors all winter and hubby just can't do the high detail work like I can.  So we rented a ladder and I got it done, feeling much accomplished back in early August.  Frankly, it was easier to do than I originally thought so we had procrastinated about painting that bit last.  

We do have most of the Christmas shopping complete.  We found the softest blanket ever at Costco (don't judge me, I shop local plenty too, overpaid for Chinese food at our cash-only close at 3pm Chinese takeaway so I could support it the other day) for ourselves and quickly realized we wanted to buy one for every person we love. 


 So every kid and spouse and my Mom all are getting these for Christmas.  And yes, we are paying the bloody postage to make it happen.  There just may be nuts and chocolate treats too in their boxes too along with other goodies.  If we can't be with them at least everyone will have the same wonderful soft warm loved feeling this Christmas from us.  Plus we always give a small cash gift to each of them which I am sure is appreciated this year.  We are so lucky that financially we can help all of them if they need it - but none have needed to ask and are doing ok so far.  

My oldest stepson is working for 3 charitable homeless shelters in Ottawa, a COVID hotbed, and is undergoing his 4th covid test. Unfortunately, the virus is circulating among the workers more than the clients so there is a seemingly endless stream of tests for them to endure, much like healthcare workers.  He and his beautiful fiancee were supposed to fly here at Christmas but due to the pandemic and my situation that just isn't a possibility.  He is supposed to fly to his Mother's in Alberta but that is up in the air now too - but he is an adult of almost 30 and those are his decisions to make, not ours.    

For now, we live each day in our household acknowledging the good fortunes of that day - that might mean that a little hummingbird blessed us with an appearance.  It might mean that Buddy had a super good walk with his Dad and is passed out in a "couldn't be any cuter moment".  It doesn't mean that every day is great or even good.  It just means we all need to get on with it.



So if you are stressed today please look around in your world for the good things.  They usually are right in front of your face waiting to be recognized.  And BREATHE!



30 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words. I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you see what you look for, and if all you are looking for is the bad that is all you will find. I consciously look for joy every single day and I always find it.
    My prayer is for everyone to find joy and civility!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my #1 inspiration for this post, back when you started blogging about the good that happens even after you lost your Mom. I love your posts - and they certainly show that some good can come of every single day

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing such words of wisdom! What you say is so true...there is always some little tiny joy waiting to be discovered daily. In times like these I guess we just need to look really hard to spot them :) Stay safe and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spotting them makes all the difference. Sometimes it might only means 10 minutes of peace, but take it if you can!

      Delete
  4. Wise words. And beautiful not completely fluffed tree. Can't wait to see all your beautiful ornaments again. We all need that this year. Sending hugs from the Mediterranean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I didn't want to go down the fluffer trail (hubby always cracks a joke every time the tree goes up, seriously grade 8 humor ) so said FLOUFOR :). It may take a week or two but I intend to use every single ornament this year in some capacity.

      Delete
  5. A Christmas tree brings such joy, doesn't it. And don't worry about the election or anything else. The media likes to twist and turn EVERYTHING, in order to whip people up into a frenzy. Our world would be so much better without them! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone saw us stringing up our Christmas lights a few weeks ago on the exterior (done early so I could help hubby on the ladder) and a lady walked by and said "YAYA!" That made me happy. We haven't turned them on but it is the sentiment.

      Delete
  6. Cheers and good vibes to you and yours, Cheapchick. And thanks for the reminder to BREATHE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good vibes back, we all need to send a little of that out there

      Delete
  7. Here is a quote from AOC's twitter page: "Saw a Christmas tree up in the neighborhood BEFORE Halloween. Normally I’d bust someone’s chops about it, but you know what? Do what makes you happy. Especially this year. Keep it up till Valentine’s Day if you want. No rules anymore."
    That's right. No rules. We need to find happiness wherever and whenever we can. I painted some snowmen last week and enjoyed it. lol. Your tree will be so fabulous. I can't wait to see it all decorated. I love the idea of a cozy blanket as a holiday gift. I recently bought one for myself from JC Penney and I just love it. I can't wait to curl up in it every evening. Manny loves it too. He kneads at it like he's making pizza dough. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy loves the blanket too = the ones we bought for ourselves are burgundy-pinkish. It reminds me of Santas sack lol and will go nicely with all the other burgundy things I normally have to decorate Christmas with. Mom's cat (she already got hers early) loves hers too, animals area all about the soft

      Delete
  8. Lovely message! And your tree is perfect, though I must admit I probably wouldn't have the patience.

    A few years ago I did buy one of those pre-lit trees. The second year I could get the lights to work, so bought a few sets lights, stripped the tree of the original and realized mid-way through that they were in two parts and weren't connected. Without both the lights didn't work. When I plugged them together they worked fine. See, no patience!

    The blankets look warm and comfortable - I'm sure they'll be much appreciated.

    Thinking hopeful thoughts that you'll hear news soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom's prelit tree top half died exactly 2 months after the warrantly ran out...I am gun shy now

      Delete
  9. We finally bought a tree about three years ago to replace our 20 year old tree. Not up yet, and I am not sure where to put it as Kris will have his cat with him and I am a bit worried she will climb up into it. Our old cat never really even tried to she was such a good kitty.

    Doing at least one thing a day is a very good way of taking a breath and just being.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe put the tree up without anything on it to start....some cats will just leave it alone. My Mom's bats around the bottom round so we put things she can't hurt down there

      Delete
  10. You are spot on with your advice. I think many of us are gravitating to nurturing gifts and I'm sure they will be gratefully received. If I get nothing but scented candles and soaps this year I will be a happy girl. Best wishes, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, surround me with light and scented candles work, I burn one almost every night

      Delete
  11. That photo of Buddy! Awww!
    You are very wise. I do the same and try and achieve something every day. It doesn't matter if it's a big thing (like the four hours I've spent sweeping leaves today) or a little one, like tipping out the desk drawer and putting everything away neatly but if you do it slowly and properly it really does feel like an accomplishment and a reason for getting out of bed.
    Great score on the big tree and a brilliant idea to buy everyone virtual hugs in the form of a blanket for Xmas.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your attitude and you rocked that Christmas tree!!! I have put colored LED lights up in our gazebo and will be going out there again in a minute and putting the Christmas covers and pillows in place. Step by step. layer by layer.
    Good to see this post....I pray for you every single day....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a gracious post you make my feeling down in the dumps these past few days to be so shameful. OK so I needed a hit around the head with a 2 x 4 so thanks for that! And I'm glad you're doing so well. Sometimes all it takes is just getting one thing done per day to make a difference. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is entirely ok to feel down in the dumps....we just have to do something to try and take our mind off things :) A second lockdown is coming or here in so many places. Our island is starting to get more cases so I am isolating a bit more

      Delete
  14. That blanket looks amazing & I'll add it to my shopping list to see if I can find it.

    And, I'm right there with you. Regardless of what happens, I need to continue to invest in my community, to continue to demonstrate kindness & compassion & to care deeply about my fellow humans. Some days are harder than others for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world can't get any better if we are not all willing to do this :) Yes, some days are hard but hopefully not all of them

      Delete
  15. Love your gift idea. Very creative, keeping everyone together under one blanket, so to speak. I really like how the living room turned out. That tree is going to look awesome once it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I put 600 lights on and only got half way up! But the hard part is done and hubby's already got 600 more so when I feel better this weekend I will try finish it. Apparently I like lots of lights lol

      Delete