Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Creating Our Paradise

 Buddy was caught checking out Mom's Mother's day gift on Sunday before we went over and visited in her yard.  One small frugal accomplishment - all wrapping was recycled.  I received a gift when I left my job in Alberta before we moved out to Vancouver Island in 2012.  I rarely spend any money on new wrapping, and if I do these days it is in the thrift store.  I bought her a hummingbird feeder similar to the one hubby bought me a couple of weeks ago for our anniversary.  I also made her a card keeping me out of a store and less money spent except on the actual gift.

 Sharing some pictures of my various pots - the calibrachoa is so pretty.  I think it's my new favorite flower.  I bought purple, pink, white and the cool pink/orange coloured one below (candy is the colour according to the pot).  The little black plant stand was bought at a garage sale in 2018 (see this post).  It is starting to get a little rust so a Rustoleum paint job is pending.
 I have two strawberry pots I bought on our Facebook bidding site last year (see this post - only $33 for 2 and a lot of scrubbing) are looking good and some of the flowers are starting to bloom.  The pot itself is 2.5 feet tall, I added the spike for some drama.  There are 3 strawberries and a row of blue lobelia which hasn't started to bloom yet.  The bottom row is empty as I had white lobelia in it but it was too long and didn't like the pot so I retransplanted that to some of my other pots so it could thrive.  My plan is to try and find some small succulents at a reasonable price for the bottom rows - but that hasn't happened yet so they will stay empty until I find the right plants.
 We used to have several overgrown rhododendron bushes in our backyard which were pretty for 2-3 weeks then just a blob of green bushes we had to mow around.  I don't hate them but they were put in the wrong spot and had to go.  We like our back yard so much better without them - even though we put in the patio it still feels like we have a ton of green grass too, and mowing is easier.  I still have one rhodo in the front yard though, my favorite of the lot that is just starting to bloom this deep red colour below.
We had a very nice Mother's Day.  I got up and made two chicken and cheese enchilada pans, one to take to Mom's and one for us for supper.  They were a big hit.  I've never tried to make them before and while I used two different recipes to make it (guideline really) it is a definite make again meal.  All the kids called me and it was a good day.  We were pretty exhausted though as the two days prior we probably did 10 hours of yard work plus I spent 2 hour painting.  On Friday Hubby decided to rent an edger (cuts the grass to a straight edge, $28 for 4 hrs) and try and clean up the grass that has been spreading into our flower beds and yard.  After you cut the grass you then have to dig out the offending extra weeds and grass - that is what took so long.  He underestimated the entire job and so when I finished painting I helped him for 4 hours then on Saturday we went at it for another 4 hours until it was done.  Holy cow, never again.  Anyway, the yard is looking pretty good these days and with it raining every few days or so everything is so nice and green.  It got up to 27 degrees Celcius on Sunday and was a lovely warm and beautiful weekend.

The company is slowing down, some of our clients have canceled but we still have a little business.  We've decided to take Fridays off as a result.  If we have to make less money then let's have a little more down time.  Except Hubby sees that as project days :(  Oh well, this weekend is Victoria Day Weekend in Canada and I have asked him that other than feeding ourselves (and Mom one day) and maybe mowing the lawn no "work" will be done.  We shall see how successful this is.

My oldest stepson is trying to become a police officer, has been for years.  It isn't as easy as one would think in Canada, especially right now.  He did 3 years in the Army as was told he was too young, then he attended 2 years in policing at college which he just graduated with honors from (online for the last month). Police hiring has been frozen during lockdown as they don't want training to occur right now, although his application is still being processed in their system (a many month affair).  He then got hired by the largest security firm in Canada, did their 2 week course and then can't get a security license (given by Province of Ontario) as can't take the required test due to the lockdown.  He has now applied for and got hired in a homeless shelter, about as high risk right now as you can get.  He has chosen a preferred life of public service and this is just one of those hazards.  He and his fiancee already volunteer in Ottawa for a charity that helps battered men and women move from their unsafe home, including packing up and physically moving everything for free.  His last job which is now closed was working part-time at a recreation centre working with underprivileged youth in after school care (help with homework, play basketball with them/ anything to keep them out of trouble).  We are concerned for his welfare but then again, all our other kids are out in the public still working and taking transit, trying to be as careful as possible.  They are all adults and these are the lives they've chosen.

Anyway, that's what is shaking here.  Stay safe everyone!

28 comments:

  1. Oh those flowers are just beautiful. I had never heard of them but will definitely see about ordering some. And I just bought myself a hummingbird feeder yesterday too. Wise minds huh. And your stepson sounds like a great person. You must be very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom calls it Million bells but Calibrachoa is the proper name (also called minipetunia). Yes, we are proud of him. He was the last of the kids we would have ever thought would have become a public servant as wasn't always as giving as he is now. His time in the Army as well as his lovely fiancee have changed him.

      Delete
  2. Your stepson and his partner sound like wonderful humans, I hope he achieves his dream of becoming a police officer.
    The garden is looking lovely, so colourful and pretty. I do love your ceramic planters, they remind me of gardens in the Med.
    The dging tool sounds like a killer. We haven't mowed the lawn since week one of lockdown, it's well overdue.
    Glad you and your mum had a lovely day and the weather played nicely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very much focused on being a police officer, hopefully all this other work will help in that endeavor. I am so glad I found those planters, If I had to buy them new they would have easily been 5x as much. I will baby them and put them carefully away each winter to try and get maximum life out of them. Yeah hubby always get these "make work" projects in his brain......I'm vetoing the next one should there be another one :)

      Delete
  3. I think after all that work and expense, I would take one more step. Can you put down some sort of physical edging to keep the grass more focused on where it should be? Of course, that is more money and work! The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can but not sure we will because of irrigation lines with our sprinkler system that would be difficult. If we have to do it again we will pay someone to do it next time :)

      Delete
  4. It's always good to catch up with you! I know you are proud of all the kids and the way they have chosen to serve.....
    and I love the way you take care of your mom! It looks like a great Mother's Day all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stepson is an absolute Mother Teresa! I did not know young folks like that still exist. It must be a perfect happiness to have children like that. I felt so pleasantly surprised reading about him and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is far from Mother Theresa but his whole attitude the last several years has changed, he was really quite selfish when he was young but has grown out of that. I'd like to think it was all on his own but his fiancee is a massively good influence too

      Delete
  6. Your flowers are lovely. The colour "candy" is gorgeous. I so want to get out and play in the dirt.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirt is good for the soul! My flowers and plants make me happy every day, a good investment.

      Delete
  7. Your son & his partner truly sound like incredible people. Fingers crossed he's able to achieve his goal of becoming a police offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will, he is bound and determined. In the mean time he is contributing an important role to society, everyone should be so lucky

      Delete
  8. Your gardens are beautiful and just what we need to see. So glad Mother's Day went as well as could be hoped. I am dying for an empanada -- and, no, don't share the recipe, just send the empanadas! I admire your stepson and wish him well. I hope things truly click for him once this crisis has passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure things will start to look better here soon. Ontario where he lives was much harder hit though than where we live, they are under firmer restrictions than us

      Delete
  9. Paradise is a good word to describe your gardens. Sorry to hear that the business has slowed down but yes please take an extra day off - really off!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone in business right now that doesn't think they will be effected in some way is out to lunch, even businesses that are doing well will have higher costs and supply chain issues. Some will bounce back sooner than others. We will be fine as hubby is close to semi retiring anyway. The idea of me getting a part time job is out the window right now though so we will live on what we make without accessing savings unless we must. It's nice to know we have the savings just in case though.

      Delete
  10. I'm totally envious of your yard, but I realize it took much work to get there. I'm staring out the window at the spot where the shed once stood and I'm a little discouraged as it will be at least a year until I can afford to have a landscaper in to clear it out and prepare it for sod. There is far too much gravel and broken clay pieces for me to dig and move out.

    Your stepson and his partner are amazing young people! I wish him much luck in finding an opportunity in policing.

    Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we also get to work on our yard so much earlier. We made a big investment this year in furniture and the patio but that had been planned for years, really an outside room and the reason we can stay here forever. We both are so happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  11. Wow, your flowers are so pretty! I love that wall pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I carefully carried those back from Spain 4 years ago and don't take them down in winter so they can't get broken in storage.

      Delete
  12. I still have one frozen package of cheese enchiladas fir a future dinner. Tonight is ravioli frozen from a takeout meal last week from a favourite Italian restaurant. They had a buy-one, get-one free special. So far that one restaurant bill for less than $30 has given us three. dinners and a side dish for an additional meal. And, I didn't have to cook. Glad your Mother's Day went well. I was so happy to hear that the nursing homes in Powell River created a schedule for families to visit loved ones in the garden area. Thankfully, Mother Nature cooperated with excellent weather. It was a special event and they don't have any more scheduled in the near future. Even so, the people I know who have family members in the homes were very appreciative. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat! I know there were drive by parades here but it is just not the same.

      Delete
  13. Is your stepson interested in relocating? I don't know how things are across the country there, but a good friend of mine retired from the Ontario Provincial Police last year. He actually spent almost twenty years as a mechanic for the police department. Then he took the written exam and got the highest score. He went to the academy and graduated at the top of his class. The thing is, he joined the force as a rookie with the salary commensurate of his time with the City -- 20 years. So my thought might be that any official/government job related in some way might still help. He sounds like a great person and deserving to meet this life goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No relocating for now. He specifically wants to try and get on with Ottawa city police, his GF has such a good job (she is a mechanical engineer with government contracts and excellent benefits) and all her family is there. I am sure in several years if he still hasn't got on they might consider relocating though.

      Delete
  14. Your garden is really pretty, I love the potted flowers! your son sounds like a very caring person, we need more of that sense of community care in the world at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right now it seems there are so many selfish people in the world. Things would turn out a lot differently if it wasn't so

      Delete