Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Before and After

Today's before and after were taken yesterday - 2 hours apart.  Not sure why the colour is so different, perhaps due to sun position.  This is my very first attempt at hedge trimming.  This is our one and only hedge, we have a few other bushes we trim but no actual hedges.  This is shared with our neighbors who have a hedge border on their side of the yard too. 

Last time, our neighbor trimmed the boxwood.  That was early last year.  Before that it was hubby.  He is busy and tends to go overboard on the chopping, something I was trying to prevent.  I woke up yesterday with loads of energy, quite unusual for me since my fibro has been going crazy lately.  Hubby is still busy with our business but my role has been reduced for a while since we are not doing live training nor onboarding new clients.  So while he toiled away inside in his office I went at it.

The before
As you can see, it was crazy overgrown.  I've wanted to tackle this for a few weeks and have not put in my small annual flowerbed at the side because of it.  Yes, we are one of those lucky people who have an electrical transformer in our yard.  Which is why we likely have let the bush run wild, but it was time.

The after
The bush had grown weirdly being much shorter on one side than the other so the haircut evened it all out.  It took me forever to try and get things even (2 hours from start to finish) but it is done.  It took another hour to rake up all the bits I cut off, 3 bags worth!  Anyway, that project is now complete.

After toiling away most of the morning and part of the afternoon on the boxwood project, I picked up Mom and we drove to the one garden centre that I feel is super safe for her.  All outside and usually fairly quiet.  She picked out a few flowers and paid.  We also went to a free library in our neighborhood and traded out some books.  She said it was good to get out and almost felt like a normal day except masking up at the garden centre and having to follow the arrows on the floor.  She still hasn't got social distancing down yet as she hasn't really had to but at least she is starting to practise it.  She won't be going inside stores anytime soon but at least now we can spend time together and I can take her places that are safe like the park or the ocean. 

Today I am like a slug.  I may have overdone things yesterday.  Anway, I did manage to buy the flowers to go into the flowerbed by the recently cut boxwood.  That is it for my buying of plants now - everything should be planted up by tomorrow.  The rest of my plants are doing quite well.  I will put the tomatoes outside this week too. 

That's all I've got for today - stay safe and healthy everyone!

30 comments:

  1. you did a good job with the hedge and i like the way you have hidden the transformer with a garden, it makes a nice feature in the front yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who built the house did that, the entire street was built by the same builder (fortunately the houses all look different and it is hard to tell that) so the original landscaper put that in. We are 2nd owners but I am glad they did that too!

      Delete
  2. I think I would plant a vine with the electrical thing. Maybe you could paint it and decorate it with pictures like they do fire hydrants...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to but we are not allowed to do anything to it and must maintain it at the same time as it is the access panel to power to the entire neighborhood. Hubby wanted to put a potted plant on top but I don't want to draw anyone's attention to it and I don't even think we are allowed to do that

      Delete
  3. New job - hedge trimming. :) Looking forward to see your addition of flowers.
    So glad that you and your Mom can now be together now.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a lot nicer to spend normal time together rather than just grocery delivery. Hugs back!

      Delete
  4. I think you did a good job, it looks lovely now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - at least I won't have to touch it until next year now

      Delete
  5. Great job with the boxwood. What a pain that must be, but it's the only way to hide the electrical box. I have one too, for the telecommunications but at least it is in the back yard.

    Your visit with your mom sounds so nice. My mom was huge gardener and I miss her advice. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box is exactly the line where our property is divided, but we mow the whole section at a time and so do they so it doesn't look funny.

      Delete
  6. You did a great job! And don't you hate having an over-exertion hangover? It's an age thing!

    If you trim the hedge again, put tarps or drop cloths under (if you have them). Then you have a much easier time just dumping it all into a bag or bin. Hopefully one of the men will do it next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been much smarter and I thought about it as I was raking it up - bloody hell!

      Delete
  7. You did a perfect job! I have only hand pruned shrubs. I leave the hedge trimming to hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like using the hedge trimmer, but because it took so long my hands were aching with arthritis afterwards

      Delete
  8. You did a brilliant job on the hedge, it looks really neat and tidy. I'm not surprised you're aching today. Take it easy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take yesterday easy - it rained so was inside day. Today I plant the remaining flowers, no huge expenditure of energy :)

      Delete
  9. You did a great job. Unfortunately, I love crazy overgrown myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd have left it a few more months we likely would have been told to cut it, we are responsible for keeping access clear to the electrical box unfortunately

      Delete
  10. Great job on the hedge trimming! Our spring garden spending is almost done, we still need a couple of Jalapeño plants... Now for the temps to go into the 20s and I be a happy camper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been cool here. I've put tomatoes and cucumbers in the ground but there's not been much growth, sunshine is definitely required

      Delete
  11. It looks really good! I've been doing quite a bit of hedge trimming, and it's really hard to get it even, so I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - not an easy job but glad its now done

      Delete
  12. It's an interesting border hedge. I can see how much work it would be to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually only trim it once a year so not that bad but I've never had one I've had to maintain before this house

      Delete
  13. I have always liked boxwood hedges and was sad we had to take ours our when we put our home on this site. Sounds like you did overdo it. You flowers are going to look great in that area. But is almost the weekend and you can rest. I bet you rMom really enjoyed her outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom was happy to be out. This week I will take her to get some fresh air and maybe to do a pickup at our local farm market that just opened for curbside pickup only.

      Delete
  14. I love boxwoods! Yours look great, and the dirt will still be there when you get around to planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did manage to get it planted yesterday finally but the weather has not been the best. And my energy has mostly returned which is good.

      Delete