Wednesday, September 18, 2019

An Update on Buddy

We saw an orthopedic vet on Monday, a different one from the same clinic as Friday and Saturday.  Buddy's hip remained in socket thankfully.  He took a new x-ray, gave a much firmer leg wrap and told us to come back in 7 days.  We are all getting used to our new normal, helping a dog who is usually rambunctious be somewhat immobile until Monday.  That includes carrying him over our laminate flooring out to do his business.  He hops around ok in the back yard but we have to keep him on a leash at all times including sleeping so he doesn't try and get off the bed.  No, we have never really kenneled Buddy except in the car so to start now except out of absolute necessity would be the equivalent to cruelty.


He doesn't seem in pain.  We have sedatives if he gets too active or won't fall asleep but we are trying to limit those.  He is adapting quite well, although is trying to get at his bandages when we are not looking which requires constant 24 hr a day vigilance.  Last night he felt perky enough to try to encourage me to throw the ball for him lol.


On Monday we return him to the vet for another x-ray and if ok he gets his bandages off where we will continue a full month of recovery.  That includes being on a leash in the house 24/7 still so there is no jumping on furniture and/or people.  This is not easy on any of us but we are so thankful that at this point no surgery is required.  That still may happen down the road if the hip ever dislocates again but we will be so careful from here on out.

We are trying to decide if Mom and I will still go on our weekend away which is a week and a half from now.  We are booked to go to Salt Spring Island for two nights for a girls trip.  Hubby was originally going to take care of Buddy and also go and feed/water Mom's cat a couple times a day.  With Buddy's situation, we would have to get someone else to take care of the cat.  I guess we will have to make that decision this weekend together.  I am not sure I want to leave hubby alone with the burden of 24/7 care of Buddy for those days but we shall see.

For now though, things are status quo.  We have some other business stuff that is also stressful right now so things are really just one day at a time.  It has been raining buckets for the last 2 weeks.  My poor flowers are drowned so time to rip them out for the year, hopefully as soon as it stops raining.

I did get a bit of good news this week, while paying our BC Healthcare premium I noticed that premiums will cease effective for January 1.  That's great news as I currently pay $75 a month.  It used to be $150 a month for both of us but was reduced in 2018.  As I pay one month forward always my last payment will be in November for December.  $900 less a year is fabulous!  I will probably just allocate the money to our health fund just in case though.  It sure is great to live in a country where we don't worry about going to the Dr and getting a gigantic bill.  We still pay for medications/splints/wheelchairs/private rooms etc but the basic healthcare being free is wonderful.  And yes, we pay a ton of taxes but in this regard, it is the best use of those taxes.



15 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed the treatment regime is successful. We had to do the same thing with our cat and I understand the demands of constant vigilance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very demanding but we love him so will do whatever it takes. I feel lucky there are two of us as it would be ever so difficult if we were on our own

      Delete
  2. Oh man, that is going to be tough on all of you. I hope Monday comes quick for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After monday might be even more difficult trying to prevent him from trying to jump up and down on things. Right now with 3 legs he doesn't try

      Delete
  3. I sure hope all goes well for Buddy (and you too). A month won't be easy but far better than recovery from surgery. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we don't want surgery so do whatever it takes

      Delete
  4. Sounds exhausting although the news is good. Poor Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe put that $900.00 into a Buddy fund. When I had to keep one of the girls immobilized I would put their bed within a dog pen. I made it into tight circle. They could not go anywhere and it gave me a bit of a break to do something in the house, kitchen, bathroom, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I raided our own medical fund for his vet bill this year, definitely splitting the $900 between both lol. We did rig up his leash to a 20 lb weight (hes 15 lbs so can't move it) next to his bed in each of the rooms so I can make supper or hubby can work without worrying he is going to try and walk around. That way he has a tiny bit of freedom and access to water but can't hurt himself. We are both going stir crazy though Buddy seems to be doing ok

      Delete
  6. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Buddy has no further issues. For him having you at his disposal at all times might just be dogie Nirvana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but he already has a bit of separation anxiety due to us working from home....I don't need him to be any more attached to me, lol, I know he loves me

      Delete
  7. I hope all works out well with Buddy (and I really hope you get to go away for your trip). I looked up Salt Spring Island as I'd never heard of it - it looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hubby and I discussed it and based on Mom's age and the unknown what the future holds we both agree that it is a good idea if we still go on the trip. I hope he doesn't go crazy by the end of the weekend. Buddy will have his sling off by then but still has to be on leash not running and jumping. It should be interesting.

      Delete
  8. So glad to see little Biddy is making progress, what a worry. It must be a nightmare trying to get him to stay still and not to leap about as it's his crazy nature, isn't it?
    Hope you find a solution to you and your Mum's trip and that the business headaches turn out okay for you both. xxx

    ReplyDelete