Monday, July 1, 2019

6 Months In



Happy Canada Day fellow Canadians!  I am so glad my parents decided to move here when I was six months old, in my opinion, the very best place in the world to live.

I decided a couple of months ago no longer to post my monthly grocery tallies as it was a bit boring - but I will still post a mid-year and year-end report - here is where the year stands at the six-month mark:

Grocery budget $575/month = at the six-month mark I should be at $3450

I am at $3,645.20 - $195.20 over the year to date.

Here's what we spent it on:
$2,624.34 Food
$280.69 Nonfood (all cleaning products and personal care products ie soap/shampoo/makeup)
$650.69 Over the counter meds and vitamins
$89.48 Tax

Groceries are simply more expensive this year due to trade tariffs and the high cost of fuel.  I have been refusing to buy celery due to its high cost (blame this on the current juicing fad) but last weekend broke down and bought some at Costco as had a BBQ for family and friends and really wanted it for the potato salad.

I doubt that these figures will look any better by the end of the year - it is what it is.  I maintain a budget so all hell does not break loose in the spending department.  Fortunately, I can move money from other areas to accommodate this - unlike many families who may have to go without something to afford to feed their families.

My tallies would have been a little lower but there was no way I was going to miss Canada Day sales this weekend to make the figures look a little better.  Right now the fridge and freezer are full and there are only a couple of items on the grocery list.

Our freebies/points redemption at the six-month mark looks like this:
$1126 Avion points used towards tickets to Mexico January 2020(actual amt saved)
$5.49 Free Milk through Quality Foods
$95 Free amazon GCs through Swagbucks (most through rebates)
$0.92 SCOPE (mispriced oranges for free)
$5 London drugs extras
$22.60 Checkout 51 rebate cheque
$10 Starbucks GC for commenting about website errors with a business

Total $1,410.60 YTD

I only count freebees or points when they are actually redeemed or cash is in hand.  We are currently saving our Avion points for 2 tickets to Ottawa next June or September to visit my Stepson and his girlfriend and we will also rent a car there and visit Quebec for a couple of days. For those that don't know, Ottawa is right on the Ontario border with Quebec so it makes sense to combine it to see a part of Canada we haven't explored.

In July news Mom got her 2nd eye cataract surgery date which is right before our annual fishing trip so although we are very happy to have a date it looks like she will sit this year's fishing trip out.  You have to be very careful after the surgery to not open your eyes up to too much glare and there is huge glare off the water.  My stepson is flying in for a few days and will be fishing with us as well.

In mid-August we will be driving a couple hours north and then taking a ferry to a place called Malcolm Island for 4 nights in celebration of my 50th birthday - we are both looking forward to that immensely.

Now that Mom has her eye surgery date sorted I was able to plan our Mother-Daughter trip in September.   I have booked a 2 night getaway to Salt Spring Island.  I managed to get a crazy good deal through travelzoo (deals all over, not just Canada) which was 60% off a place we were thinking of staying - even cheaper than even considering an AirBNB.  It even includes breakfast which is a huge bonus.  That island is very popular and rates are usually quite high so we are very lucky to have found that.

That's all I've got.  We are not attending any frivolity today, tend to avoid parades and crowds.  I went thrifting with Mom Saturday and Hubby went golfing.  Yesterday we went kayaking and today we intend to do little if anything.  Time to relax!

Happy 4th of July to those in the USA and have a great week to everyone else!

23 comments:

  1. I buy the celery stalks as that way there is no waste. I can't remember if I've bought an entire bunch this year.

    I've been cashing in my Airmiles at Sobey's as I had a horrible experience with them over an insured, cancelled flight. Vowed never to fly with them again. So far this year, I've redeemed $410.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom redeems for groceries too - I actually think that is a good deal as got 200 airmiles friday after spending only $40 so if I went with cash instead of miles that 200 airmiles would have been $20 off future groceries

      Delete
    2. I meant to say most of the miles I talk about are avion, not airmiles and they are SO MUCH BETTER as no restrictions hardly at all. I won 5000 airmiles about 4 years ago in a contest so slowly have been using those up.

      Delete
  2. Canada may well be the best place to live, but the cold and snow would make it not so good for me. When I had cataract surgery, there were no precautions to take. I could drive after 24 hours and had drops for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you come back to the marina after fishing they go at high speed with lots of choppy bumps - Mom was told not to put her head down for a few days after surgery so we are concerned. Best not to take any chances

      Delete
  3. Happy Canada Day to you Cheapchick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canada Day! I am with you on avoiding festivities associated with celebrations. I like to either keep myself at home or at the lake place and avoid the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only do crowds when away on holidays - have to bear it to see some of the sights of the world but not at home, I much prefer quieter places :)

      Delete
  5. This our first Canada Day as Canadian citizens. That make it pretty special. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm extremely grateful to be living in Canada. My freebies this month were four organic 5lb chickens plus some odds and ends for soup. I had to help process 70 cluckers for my neighbour in return, quite the experience! Not sure it was worth it but I'm very happy to have the birds in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of work, nice to have the freebie birds though. Also nice to help out neighbors

      Delete
  7. I wish Canada had palm trees. I'd be there in a hot minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do here on the island, there are some tough ones that can withstand our 2-3 snows a year. Come on down!!!!! We are the warmest spot in Canada though

      Delete
  8. Hope it was a great day. Vacation plans sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. I love looking forward to things and I've got lots of those coming up!

      Delete
  9. Happy Canada Day. Sounds like you are doing well with your food budget despite the increase in prices. Having only been home six weeks in the last nine months I know that I will be in for major shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually you might have come home at the right time, produce seems to be normalizing, I actually saw celery for $2.99 at Sobeys on Friday, lowest it's been in months. Plus all the farm markets/cheap fruit. Other things like toilet paper have gone up though

      Delete
  10. I admire the way that you keep such detailed records of the grocery bill. Giving me ideas to do the same... Enjoy your vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! I just use a simple excel spreadsheet. So easy to copy it from Month to Month and carry things foward

      Delete