Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Odds N Ends

I figured I better post an update because life just keeps roaring by.  Well, we officially survived our carpet replacement.  We chose a nylon which should hopefully last us 15 years.  The picture below looks a little darker than it is in real life as it was taken at the end of a very long day.  The hardest part was moving 80% of your belongings out - to the center of the house - and then moving it all back.  Anyway, it is done.  We will make this carpet last as long as we live here, even if that is 25 years as we don't intend to go through that again.  Cost to replace carpet in 3 bedrooms came to $4700 - not cheap but an upgrade that makes our life better every single day.  Again, much cheaper than moving.

Our new carpet - looks a little darker than it is in real life

Our rhodos are winding down - this is one of my favorite colours - but this plant will be removed next summer in our yard renovation as we are extending the patio.  I have another brilliant red rhodo out front of the house that will have to suffice.
Rhodos last hurrah
 Finally - our local farm market opened.  I bought fresh young carrots and baby potatoes...no celery in sight yet but it's coming.  I haven't bought celery since before Easter as it remains $5.99 a bunch right now and that is just freaking ridiculous.

Mom and I went to some garage sales Saturday and I found something hubby wanted, rope light for our patio.  He immediately hooked it up and it looks good.  It was $10 - not ultra cheap but 1/3 of the price new - and it was brand new in package, never been used so a good deal!


I also found all these pots for $5.  The blue kind matches all the others I own so I decided to sell off the green ones - they fetched $11.50 on the Facebook bidding site - so I got the blue pot for free and made $6.50 (for the fishing/fun fund)out of the deal, pretty cool in my opinion!


This was my first strawberry to ripen, quite early but these are ever-bearing so I should get several batches before fall.

This is Buddy the day after the carpet install.  He was so exhausted he wouldn't even move for me to put the pillows on the bed.  We are all super glad that is over now.  The house is still in a bit of disarray as we decided not to put our bed back together but to move it to the spare bedroom.  It is too difficult/heavy to keep taking apart and putting together.  Also, our super heavy (think 300 lbs) dresser is parked in there as well.  We are currently shopping for a king size bedroom suite.  We found one but it turned out a little too big for our bedroom so the hunt continues.  In the mean time we are once again living with mattress on carpet  - kind of like we are 20 again!

Mom had her first cataract eye surgery on Monday - it all went well and she said it didn't hurt at all. It just felt like a little liquid was squirted in the eye.  She was awake the whole time.  She went to the Dr yesterday for the surgeon to check and she said it looks good.  Hopefully her second eye surgery will follow in a month or so.

I volunteered 13 hours at the wildlife rescue in May.  We officially opened the gift shop this past weekend at their brand new visitors center and it worked quite well.  Lots of money was raised and starting in June I will volunteer there most Friday afternoons.  I've already met lots of new nice people and hope it continues that way.

It's been hot and sunny and we've been grilling a lot except for takeout two days over the reno.  I wasn't going to do that but we were so tired that takeout was the only way were were going to get fed.  That's what is shaking in my world.  Have a happy hump day everyone!


20 comments:

  1. I hear you on how much trouble it is to move all the 'stuff' in order to get new carpet. I'm going to do that next year. Only two rrooms and a hall but the living room has two doll cabinets loaded.....lots of glass and heavy. The dining room has two buffets and they are filled to the brim. I'm going to ask them to do the hall and dining room one day and come back for the living room. Nowhere to put it all and so much glass to be handled.

    I thought it had been awhile since you posted.....always good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work, you will need help definitely. We have so many heavy pieces of furniture but the worst was our office as it is fully functioning and we bought a used cherry set 10 years ago for it and every piece weighs an absolute ton

      Delete
  2. I have flooring envy. We really need to do something upstairs. When our house was moved to the current location in the 50's, someone put linoleum over all of the wood upstairs. There are probably patched spots in the wood due to the floor plan being reconfigured anyway.

    Teddy loves having workers in the house, but no so much the noise. Buddy must be so happy it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy is happy it is done, he couldn't understand why we were moving all the furniture. He just kept following us around, probably did 20,000 steps on his little feet each of those days.

      Delete
  3. What a lot of work, but the results are lovely!

    I learned I am developing a cataract on my left eye, so I'm glad to hear there is no pain involved for the removal. But I can't imagine being awake...eww!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They gave her ativan which is a mild sedative. She wasn't scared to begin with so that helped but she can definitely see better out of that eye, I am so glad the ball is finally rolling. Now hopefully she will get a firm date on doing eye #2

      Delete
  4. The new carpet looks great! Poor Buddy. I can imagine how the house being turned upside down must have freaked him out. Ugh! Nice score on the pots and congrats on your first strawberry! $5.99 for celery? That's just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celery prices are maddening - but I can live without it, would rather eat watermelon and cherries for that price.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah, Buddy is not keen on all this fuss in his house. He is super glad it is over.

      Delete
  6. Good news all around. Great idea on the new bedroom set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No real spare bedroom was one of the reasons why we were going to move - but we will make it work. We can still fit our treadmill in there, even if it is a little cramped. Now we have a ton of extra storage too.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful carpet! I agree it was not cheap but you do get what you pay for in any flooring.
    Now you can place things where you want them and get back to regular life.
    Love the lights! I have some I need to put up on the screened porch. We have overhead lights but they are a little too bright when you just want a little ambient light. You have inspired me to get off my butt and get it done this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lights make such a difference. We also have loads of candles which we use throughout the year.

      Delete
  8. So glad that your Mum's surgery went well.
    What a magnificent strawberry and so early, too! Absolutely love your rhododendron and those colourful pots. They're silly prices in garden centres, no wonder they sold so quickly!
    Buddy looks adorable snuggled on the bed. is it wrong to eye up your duvet cover and imagine how fabulous it would be as a dress! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are silly prices at the garden centres - but I hate plastic pots so have slowly invested in a good amount of ceramic pots over the past few years. I also love clay pots but hardly ever see those at decent prices. I love that duvet as well - the colours and the paisley. It won't fit our new bed but still has lots of life left so will grace our spare bedroom. I am amazed we have used it daily for almost five full years and it has held up remarkably well considering our dog jumps on it all the time. It also hides dirt - a fantastic feature in my books.

      Delete
  9. The carpet is gorgeous-so rich looking. (textually speaking). MM, farmers markets food. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I so look forward to the farmers market. They don't have a lot now but as their crops are done they have more and more. They have the best carrots ever - even if we buy many pounds in October before they shut they last a long time in the fridge and still taste fabulous.

      Delete
  10. Yep the carpet does look lovely. And we obviously seem to have the same taste in garden pots! I get mine from garage sales too. I'm quite amazed at how much earlier everything flowers with you. No strawberries here yet - everything is very late this year - I guess I always expect Canada's weather to be along the same lines as here. Glad your mom's surgery went ok. It's amazing what they can do now isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vancouver and Vancouver Island are the two exceptions to the weather of Canada - the rest of it really is much like where you live. We rarely get snow and most of the time our winter is 5 degrees or warmer. We have early Springs here too - part of the reason why we moved here

      Delete