Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Making Plans

Zihuatanejo Skies
We've been busy making lots of plans for 2019 and 2020.  First up is a return to Zihuatenejo the end of January.  I've already booked our same favorite hotel for 8 nights.  I will book airfare in the summer when the flights are out and we have enough points as we are just shy a few but are always collecting them on our credit cards so it will cover both flights.


Next up - there may be a move in our future.  We love our little island pad but since we bought it without the intention of both of us working from home it is small for our needs.  We bought our current house at a market low six years ago and it has almost doubled in value.  Yes, we will have to pay all the more for a bigger house but we are prepared to do that and even have a good chunk of cash already saved on top of the 100% equity in our home to shop with.

We love our town so likely will be looking in the same neighborhood or close by.  We will be super picky this time and not settle so the hunt for a new to us home may take some time.  I am unwilling to sell our current house until we have found the perfect house and the market is such that our home is one of the most sought after - 3 bed bungalow perfect for retirees in a good neighborhood on a quiet street.  If it was 500 sq foot larger we would definitely be staying.  My husband is the driving force behind this decision.  I am perfectly happy here but he is not, needs more room for life, hobbies and our business.  We both work hard and can afford this so I am hoping we find just the right place.  I am not looking forward to the whole moving thing, absolutely hate it but whatever will be will be.  We have gone back and forth over trying to do more changes to our home to make us happy but the fact is it is just too small at 1700 sq feet with the business taking up about 500 sq ft.

So that is what is in the plan for 2019.  I am sure by the time we return to Mexico next winter we will really be needing that holiday (I could easily return tomorrow lol).  I am so ready for Spring.  Generally at this time of the year there are lots of flowers but we had our 4th coldest February ever here and there is still snow on the ground as it hasn't been warm enough to melt.  Next week the temperatures look like they are a little bit higher - one has to be very optimistic this time of year.

20 comments:

  1. Big plans. I can see the need for more space, your business is taking up 30% of your house, hard to get away from it I would think. You will need that holiday after going through the year of hunting, selling and moving. I hope you find something that makes you smile every time you return to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is literally the case, no getting away from the business. I think it is a case of wanting less travel (there will always be some lol) and wanting to be home more. A case of midlife nesting. Our current home is almost bursting and we don't have much stuff!

      Delete
  2. Each to their own of course, but we would be finding ways to downsize and plan an upcoming retirement at your ages. Not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree...but my hubby has wanted this for some time and relationships are give and take. On the upside I am only 49 so we will likely be in this home at least 20 years then maybe go to a condo/apartment

      Delete
  3. Wow, a new house is exciting!! As is vacation planning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wanderlust is closer to home now, need the comfort of going back to somewhere we love. Exciting and stressful at the same time as you are so well aware.

      Delete
  4. Yay! Another trip to Mexico, that's something to look forward to. I thought you were going to say that you were moving there. Imagine that, all that sunshine and a wall to keep Orange Boy out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, no moving to Mexico now. Too hard with our business and an aging parent. I would love to some day though

      Delete
  5. The only good thing about a move is the purging part. You will be amazed how much stuff you will get rid of and feel much lighter and organized in your new place I am sure. Looking forward to posts about different properties you will look at. Lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the purging has begun! Hubby is the hard one to get on board with that, he tends to hang on to things much longer than I do

      Delete
  6. I totally understand where you are heading with the house and the why. Our house is about 2,000 square feet, perfect for a family of three (worked with five but sometimes tight), but if we were to try and work here full time-both of us, there would be no spare space at all, and having some separation I am sure is a must. Good luck and be picky to your hearts content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other issue is that when you are home all the time I think you need more space. We've looked at 2. 1 was horrendous. The 2nd was close but not quite. I do want to take my time but right now we are doing some things to spiff up the house for sale. Definitely not selling this first though

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I love moving! I'll get vicarious pleasure from your house hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you are the only one who loves moving!

      Delete
  8. good luck with the house hunt, the good thing about moving is getting rid of excess stuff. Your trip to Mexico sounds great - I'd love to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the purging has already begun. It helps my favorite thrift burned down and is now opening in a new location needing donations....I already made one drop off but this weekend I begin paring down in earnest

      Delete
  9. You've done very well in the property, good job! I had a similar situation in 2010 when I bought this house, and I've not regretted it for a minute. Of course, my reasons were different with two adult children moving in with me. :)

    Good luck with the house hunting! And you have a reward in January with your vacation already in the works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just seem overstuffed and don't have that much stuff. Not enough storage etc. We do have a gigantic crawl space but a huge hassle to get anything out of it. We made a mistake of buying too small but at the time we had just started the company and didn't want to overspend

      Delete
  10. I thought that you were going to start working less. We live in 970 sq ft and work out of our home as well.

    Good luck with it all. Nice to have Mexico at the end of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that but hubby is type A, not so sure he knows how to work less. Very nice to have Mexico at the end of it!

      Delete