Saturday, December 15, 2018

December Doings

The Rockies
We are back from Alberta and another family visit is done for the year.  Alberta took it pretty easy on us pansy islanders, it was only minus 15 degrees celcius when we got there and by the time we left temperatures were hovering around zero.  Still, I don't do well in cold climates and will never live in one again, I couldn't get warm the whole time we were there.

The cold Alberta prairie
We managed to put about 800 km on our tiny rental vehicle ($15/day - cheapest car rental I have managed in a really long time, 3 nights free hotel with points and flights free except taxes with points) driving around to visit hubby's Mom, an elderly aunt and the kids.  His mom keeps shrinking.  She never spoke to us the last 2 visits, and on hubby's last visit in the summer wouldn't wake up.

This time however we came armed with some Christmas crack, which used to be her most favorite Christmas treat that I would make her.  For Canadians the recipe is on the back of the Old Dutch Popcorn Twist bag - just popcorn twists covered in caramel sauce.  Super easy to make.  

Christmas Crack
She is on a pureed diet but we managed to convince the nurses that work in her Alzheimers ward that she could suck on it and it would melt in her mouth - they agreed to let her have it but only while we were there and they would feed her a treat after her suppers of it.  This is the first time she actually said words that made sense to us in 2 years.  She kept saying "more!  I want more!"  It was so funny - when you have a loved one you cherish these kind of moments.  She may have forgotten us but obviously her taste buds havent.  

We had a lovely visit with the kids over a Chinese food supper out.  Hubby and the two boys who live in Edmonton decided to go to the Battle of Alberta, Oilers versus Flames on Sunday night and they all had a great time, especially since Edmonton won.  The only ones missing was the oldest son and his girlfriend who live in Ottawa.  

Every single time we come back to Vancouver Island we are so bloody happy we live here - it is such a wonderful feeling to love where you live.  I would never live in Alberta again, lots of lovely people and scenery but unless you love winter extremely hard on the average person.  

The two weeks prior to that trip we had lovely weather here, sunshine, it got a little cold but we had beautiful hoar frost (looks like snow but ultra thick frost, sorry, forgot to take a picture of it).  Ever since we got home it has been monsooning, but I will take rain any day over that Alberta cold.  

Today we are going Christmas tree hunting with my best friend, she doesn't have a truck and we do.  Last year it was warm and sunny, this year we have a wind warning up to 66 km per hour and a little rain so we are going to get our rain gear on and try and enjoy it.  I am kind of glad I put up the fake tree two weeks ago because my friend is going to have to wait a day or two before decorating hers as it will be sopping wet and must dry out.  

We did, however, manage to put up the last of the Christmas lights last night between deluges of rain.  These are the old style big light bulb strings from the 1980s.  Not energy efficient but we only keep them on when we are out in the living room to enjoy them as they are strung along our cedars in the back yard.  It looks lovely from inside the house.  I got them free last summer on our Facebook bidding site.  I have scoured the thrift stores for replacement bulbs and an extra string in case one dies and now have supplies for a couple of years.

All the Christmas shopping is done with exception of a couple of small edible items - now I need to get to wrapping.  All cards are out.  The house is decorated.  All the baking is done (unless I break down and make a batch of sugar cookies for myself, my other favorite kind of cookie besides fruitcake cookies).  

I am just trying to stay on our food budget this month.  I only have $117 left for the month/year but the fridge and freezer are full and almost everything is bought for our holiday meals.  The only thing that could put me over is OTCs but hopefully we will get to the end of the month without having to buy more of those.  We can afford to go over but I would really like to stay on budget.

Tonight's supper is pork meatloaf - I found a recipe that uses hashbrowns  (HERE).  I am so not a fan of Martha Stewart but the recipe has all the ingredients that I already have in the fridge/freezer and is a perfect weekend meal.  Two items out of the freezer (pork and hashbrowns) - I just need to keep emptying it so I can defrost it some time in January.  

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!


31 comments:

  1. I keep defrosting things, and my husband keeps buying new freezer item. He's thwarting me at every turn!

    Sounds like a great trip & love to hear that your mother in law was able to enjoy the treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We brought back a bag of Ukrainian Sausage from Alberta, that and some ribs (New Years Eve supper) are the only items added but now I need to meal plan out the last days in December. Chicken or fish it is lol

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the freezer meal!
    I am with you on living in a very cold climate. I like about a week of true winter, then I am ready for our low 50's days.
    Glad your visit was successful and how great that you took your MIL something that would elicit that kind of response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, last year we got several snows, this year just lots of rain - I would be ok if it snowed on Christmas Eve then went away lol

      Delete
  3. My mother-in-law had Alzheimer's. I did most of the visiting. We brought her from New York to be near us in Southern California. You are way ahead of me for Christmas. At least I decorated last time we were in the States. When I get back there tomorrow I'll have to rush around to get the food items from crowded stores and then do the wrapping. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have plenty of time - lots of people are just startingthis weekend lol. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. I didn't choose to live in Alberta, the husband's job took us here. Our children have grown up here and made their lives here.

    We grew up in the lower mainland and waited years to get posted to the Island. We hated it and couldn't get off it fast enough. Very little work. The town we lived in had a very closed mindset. No matter how much experience I had in my line of work, I couldn't get hired. There were a lot of drugs in the schools, more than in Edmonton. The final nail in the coffin, so to speak, was when our children told us they'd have to leave the Island to find work and training.

    As pretty as it is, I would never live there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think all of BC was like that in the 80's/90's (I grew up in the interior). These days the island has so many people that didn't grow up here it is much easier to make friends/get jobs. It has taken us several years but it is definitely home now - and we have managed to make several good friends along the way

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thrifty has some kind of deal when you rent on a friday or a saturday and return on a sunday or monday - this is the second time this year we managed a $15/day rental. It was a Nissan and not bad although had terrible suspension on the rough Alberta highways.

      Delete
  6. Don't like cold weather? Don't worry, my country will mess it up for you! Apparently, we like the idea of an ever-warming earth. Sorry 'bout that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are those kind of people everywhere, even in Canada. My brother in law that we don't get along with is one of them (and he has an agriculture degree-dumbass)

      Delete
  7. And aside from my last snarky comment, it was nice that you were able to make the trip and find something to bring your mother-in-law joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made us both happy - until we had to leave then she got sad/angry but you take what you can get.

      Delete
  8. I just can’t get past Christmas Crack. That sounds SO good. Just add peanuts and you’ve got the inspiration for Crackers Jacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is bloody good. Next year I might just throw in some peanuts (for ours, not my Mother in laws lol)

      Delete
  9. Folks are complaining its too warm and all snow will melt before Christmas. I was sure happy for the reprieve yesterday bell ringing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had snow this year except if you drive a half an hour up the mountain to our ski hill, they had 58 cm the other day (we got it in rain). It's nice for those who like winter but don't like living in a cold climate. I am ok without snow, although it does look like it might snow in the next week. Hoping it doesn't screw up my stepsons flight plans as he's flying in for Christmas

      Delete
  10. Lordy you're all way ahead of me. I am only now dragging the artificial tree up from the basement. Presents are bought though and mostly wrapped and I know what I'm making for Christmas (and it ain't gonna be a big deal). I just feel so overwhelmed at the moment I guess with having tons of work, all the administrative stuff to do before I retire, trying to see how many tons of paperwork my son and I need to chase up in order to become French - and then there's Christmas of course. On another note, you're right, I think it is very important that you like where you live. Well for me at least - if I didn't like it here there's no way I would stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement is just around the bend for you! So happy - you will have tons of time for Christmas preps in years to come

      Delete
  11. I was born in Edmonton and stayed until I moved to Vancouver in my mid twenties. I have no idea how I survived those winters. Never ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't bother me as much when I was in my 20s but much harder on me at this point in life. Never again for me too.

      Delete
  12. My Dad developed all kinds of food likes with his Alzheimer's - he loathed baked beans when he was well but couldn't get enough of them when he was ill! I'm so pleased your mother-in-law's snack stirred some memories.
    I couldn't live in a cold climate either - how people go on skiing holidays is beyond me!
    Have a fab festive season if you don't post before 25th Dec! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never loved snow. Liked tobogganing as a kid but that's about it, never loved skiing either. You have a nice holiday too - I know you hang with friends and eat and drink although don't do a traditional Christmas (sounds lovely to me too). India is just a short time away!

      Delete
  13. We are going to Calgary for Christmas as long as these high winds abate and the ferries start running so we can get to the airport. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep a parka permanently at the Calgary end but the cold is still hard to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've had some luck with the ferries, I keep seeing cancelled ferry notices. If nothing else take some gravol for the lousy ride. Safe travels!

      Delete
  14. Wow, just found your blog and was reading it. I Live south of Chicago and haven't heard how harsh the winter is. I knew it was colder then us in general but fifteen below? Yikes. We get those kind of temps for maybe a day or two every season but not this early. I wouldn't be able to take it either! Glad you got to put up your Christmas lights. They look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind that was cecius lol which isn't that cold but way colder than Vancouver Island ever gets (minus 5 is the coldest usually) Thanks - the lights are one of my favorite parts of Christmas

      Delete
  15. I lived in Alberta for one year and one was enough! It was the only time I owned a car with a block heater in it and had to plug in while I was at work (worked at the Royal Bank on McKnight in Calgary) (not sure if that was how the street was spelled). (Just googled it - that is how it's spelled and it's still there! I worked there in 1978!) Loved those warm Chinooks though! I love the story about your mother-in-law and the Christmas crack! Reminded me of when my mom had dementia and I would sneak in a can of coke when I visited. She sure loved that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She used to love coke, maybe I'll see if she can have that. They did say she could have chocolate without nuts which is a backup plan as she loves sweets. Edmonton is way colder than Calgary as further north and no Chinooks - yeah, I did my time. Not going through that again.

      Delete
  16. I remember your Christmas crack too...my mom made it a time or two, though she was best known for homemade bits and bites as well as her fudge. It's lovely that your MIL recognized it, sad that she is suffering from Alzheimers. Such an awful disease.

    I'm just home, the tree is standing mostly naked (lights are on), but I did get most of my wrapping done before I left and the groceries are bought. I'm not stressing too much, I won't decorate as much as I have in the past. Since grandson will be here that's probably not a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete