Monday, October 16, 2017

New Specs

So I've handed over my credit card for new glasses through Clearly.ca, an online glasses seller which hubby has been buying his contacts from for a year.  They have excellent customer service and speedy delivery.  The picture above is the exact pair I ordered.  I first signed into my ebates.ca account (referral link if you wish to join, $5 automatic rebate with first purchase) so I will also get an 8% rebate.  The cost?


$52.50 (ebates had a 30% off first pair discount code plus free shipping) less $4.20 cash rebate = $48.30.  For that cheap I was willing to try it.  The hardest part of the whole process was deciding what style of glasses to buy, looking up my old glasses sizes (located on the bridge and sides) and then making the leap of faith.  They will be here in a few days.

I don't think this process would work if you are super fussy about what kind of glasses you wear or are into high fashion - that being said I only wear my glasses to drive and watch movies so might be willing to spend a lot more if I was a fashion plate(not even close) or wearing them full-time.  I picked frames on the cheaper side of their offerings.  If I am not 100% satisfied they will take them back even paying shipping on them and give me a 100% refund.

I checked out Costco and Loblaws, Canada's two other cheapest options but I was still looking at between $200-$300 per pair.  I did not order any specialty coating or super thin lens, just the cheapest option with a frame that is as close to what my old frames look like as know that suits me.  It turns out I do not need bifocals or progressives yet so I can try the least expensive lenses out.  Even if you did need bifocals or progressives I am sure it would be so much cheaper than the regular retail options. The frame includes the cheapest option of lens but of course the more options the higher the price.

Wish me luck, I will report my findings back in a few days.  By the way, I only joined Ebates in July and already am up to $48 in total rebates.  I received my first cheque for $11 and am waiting on the balance within a few weeks as they pay quarterly.  I don't buy online that often but have used it when ordering office supplies for the business, a car rental for hubby and paying our corporate go daddy domain bill.  I got hubby signed up on his own account and now he can get rebates whenever he orders contacts.  All my rebate money is going into our weekends away fund - all the more reason to be vigilant to sign in through them when ordering online.

**I was NOT paid to write this post, have been investigating cheapest glasses options through my own frugalness :)

28 comments:

  1. Interesting way to save money, maybe I will try it and get sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they do those and others have gotten reading glasses online as well. I've posted today the verdict!

      Delete
  2. The glasses look great! I hope that you will like them and that they will fit nice and comfy. Kevin and I got a total of three pairs from Zenni Optical during the summer and have been very happy with them, especially the price. I think for the three the total was about $120 or so. I agree with you the hardest part it trying to pick a pair without really ever trying them on.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zenni was my second choice, I really only chose Clearly because of our great experience with hubby's contacts and their customer service

      Delete
  3. Cool! I have ordered 5 pairs from Warby Parker to try on. I have to check out Clearly now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Canada they don't send them out to try but if you order and it doesn't suit you you can send them back. I like that option.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you were able to find glasses that you liked at a great price. I have used Zenni Optical in the past for my "reading" glasses, using my prescription for the close up viewing part of my bifocals for them. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people have said Zenni is a good option, I will check that out too if I need to order any more

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to reading what you think once you have them. I have progressives, with coating, and I am kind of particular about my glasses because my face is narrow and many styles just don't work for me. I don't have the kind of face that can pick glasses from a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the fence about this decision but worse case scenario I can send them back and get my money back. I tried to pick frames that are very similar to my old ones so hoping that works.

      Delete
  6. I'm really lucky, I was given two pairs of retro styled prescription specs by a respected British company in exchange for a review.
    Jon buys his frames in charity shops and gets them made up to his prescription in India once a year (which usually works out around £30 with coatings, reactalite lenses.
    happy new glasses. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could reuse frames here in Canada but no one will do that. You are very lucky indeed, that's a great deal - and they look great on you too!

      Delete
    2. One of my friends has a very complicated prescription and swears by this company for re-glazing vintage & secondhand glasses. Apparently they offer a worldwide service.
      https://www.new-lenses-for-glasses.com/

      Delete
  7. A really good save on your part. However I could not do that as I am super sensitive on the fitting part and even spending $800.00 plus for a new pair of glasses I need multiple tiny adjustments over my ears so that I can even wear them them. I save by using the same classic frame over and over and only changed the lenses which this past spring were about $400.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are sensitive on fitting then probably you are right by going to a dispensary. Changing the lenses though is a great idea, no one around here will do that

      Delete
  8. I have used eyebuydirect.ca for many years with great satisfaction. If I don't order the extra coatings my glasses would not survive the usual three years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that company but will mention it in my blog today with the verdict on the glasses

      Delete
  9. Very nice frame design! Enjoy them!
    Mine is of a somehow similar design. I've never ordered online. I wear multifocals with the lenses having several coatings. The specs are quite expensive and I feel I have to be at the store in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely understandable, I think the more complicated the prescription the scarier it would be to try and order it online

      Delete
  10. I am in need of new glasses. So please tell how the glasses arrived. How many days it took from ordering to reach in your hands? Are they fitting on you? Was the item reached you intact? May be you can get some affiliate business from them in the near future. There is nothing wrong in trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out today's blogpost for the verdict - they came in two days, I was completely shocked!

      Delete
  11. Glasses here in the united states is costly and so is hearing aids, and even worst.
    The sad truth I know people who needs glasses and can't afford them...Even $400 would be diffucult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing aids also cost a fortune here in Canada, I see those in my hubby's future as he has poor hearing already and is only 55

      Delete
  12. I do need bifocals and progressives so that is why I am reluctant to order online but will be interested in how your venture turns out. I usually buy from my optometrist though there are other places I could take my business too like Lenscrafter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try it, they do both, you just input your full prescription and enter what kind of glasses you want, 100% satisfaction or money back guarantee! I'll post next whenever hubby orders his as he has a more complicated prescription

      Delete
  13. Research may take a little time and effort but it pays off in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Susan! More people should try this, I could easily see a family with no benefits buying glasses for their kids cheaply if they tried this out.

      Delete
  14. Hmmm I may need to look into this "ebates". Every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete