Friday, March 24, 2017

Fast Times

Seal Bay Park
 Another busy week at livingrichonthecheap.  We worked all weekend but both days stopped at 2pm and went on some adventures with Buddy.  We took him on a walk in the rain forest at Seal Bay Park which is a beautiful path through the ferns and moss, down a very steep hill and the bottom opens up to Seal Bay.  It was a pretty but cold day only a few degrees above freezing.  Buddy loves long hikes, strange for a small dog with short legs but he never gets tired, even after walking for several kilometres.


I look like a hunchback in this picture with Buddy - I need to quit leaning into photos.  What you don't see is Buddy is standing on a 3.5 foot gigantic moss laden stump that the forest is retaking.  

 One of my favorite times of the year - when asparagus is finally affordable again (I only buy it when it is less than $2.99 per lb, this was $2.49 per lb).  I like to saute it in olive oil, chopped garlic, cayenne pepper and usually put in peppers and fresh mushrooms but I had neither of those so added some frozen corn and it turned out to be a nice combo.  I also added a splash of pear cider as I happened to be drinking it at the time.  Wild asparagus actually grows here, I found a spear of it one time near one of our favorite beaches..  Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit hunting and foraging for wild asparagus right now.

My favorite flower, the tulip.  Mom bought me these for helping her give her cat medicine.  Apparently it turns out the cat's allergy tests came back negative.  We are hoping things get better naturally at this point, although the cat is still on a restricted diet.


Goat's On The Roof

I met up with a friend at Goat's on the Roof at Coombs which is very near Qualicum Beach.  It is called that since they grow grass on the roof and have actual goats up there grazing.  Today was cold and rainy and the goats were elsewhere so I didn't take a picture of that.   They have a beautiful fruit and veggie market, a store that specializes in import food from around the world, tourist shops and a fabulous Italian restaurant called Cuckoos.  Coombs is just off the highway to Tofino so is an extremely popular place for locals and tourists.  We each drove an hour to make it happen (met in the middle) as I haven't seen her in almost a year due to both of our busy lives.  It was a dreary rainy day but we had a great time and it was so nice to reconnect.  Even nicer, she treated me to lunch!

I bought some of those red peppers (.99 cents a lb, 1/3 of the price that they are in every other store), a .99 cent cucumber, a couple of limes and some cherry tomatoes.  Our local farm market doesn't open until May so when I travel I try and hit up other farm markets on the island.

Hubby was away for 3 days in Victoria so I managed to get the entire house cleaned (finally) and all the dust bunnies have been banished.  I have been working on two final large projects so will be spending this weekend trying to get them completed as hubby flies out next Saturday to deliver another round of training.  After that things quiet down a little although we just signed on another client so who knows for how long.

It is so terrible what happened in London this week, radical fundamentalists that maim and kill in the name of religion.  A religion which the basis is peace and caring and where most Muslims are completely against Isis and everything it stands for.  Sad times in the world today.

Due to recent changes in carry-on restrictions requiring cameras and laptops to be stowed in checked luggage only and no longer being permitted in the cabin when traveling to and from the UK and USA  (if you haven't heard about it see this article) on certain flights, I am likely not going to take my large camera to Greece.  Currently Greece is not one of the countries listed - that could change any time.  I am not willing to put my expensive camera nor laptop in checked luggage - just not worth the risk.  Between hubby's iphone 6 and my 5s our phone camera's are pretty decent. Not taking the laptop makes it more difficult for our business as we need to access email but can do that on our telephones.  We once had to write a proposal on holidays and that is impossible without a laptop which is the main reason we take it with us.  I really want to take carry-on only this trip so likely will be flying much lighter than usual.  Our trip includes 3 different airlines and two ferries - the primary reason for packing lightly is not to lose our luggage.  We will have to make a firm decision as our trip gets closer.  We tell our regular clients we are on holidays when we travel and they respect that but must be available to new inquiries - that is part of owning your own business.

I've just ordered a dual voltage flat hair iron as managed to fry one while using both a converter and adaptor in Spain.  It just makes sense when we travel to countries that are on different voltage so much, it will only need an adaptor to use and I've got two.  I used an amazon credit that one of the kids gave me at Christmas so zero out of pocket spent

Well, I've got lots of company work to do plus all of hubby's dirty laundry from his road trip so I best get at it.  Have a good weekend everyone!


21 comments:

  1. Seal Bay Park is gorgeous and that's a great photo of you and Buddy. We've got a few more weeks before we're able to afford asparagus but I absolutely love it.
    Wednesday's events were tragic but the way everyone rallied together, attended to the victims and stood in solidarity makes us realise that the majority of people in this world are warm, loving and caring and the tiny minority won't destroy us. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat a good amount of asparagus when in season, completely unaffordable here otherwise. I also like it with shrimp but figured I had to have at least one vegetarian photo for all the times I've posted meat on the blog lol. It was great to see the gatherings of people after the incident. You are absolutely right

      Delete
  2. Love your checked jacket. Pup needs a good long walk so hope the weather breaks. I'll have to check the site. Kids and hubs travel with cameras all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - one of the only new clothing purchases in the last few years - from Costco bought in August 3 years ago

      Delete
  3. Nice picture of you and the pup.
    I would not check my laptop either. Have you considered getting a tablet for travel. I find it much easier for correspondence than using my phone.
    Your life is so much more interesting than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! They are banning tablets on those same flights (only out of certain countries but could easily be changed). We have an older ipad too.

      Delete
    2. And no, lol, my life is not any more interesting, just different :)

      Delete
  4. I've been to the Goats on the Roof store before, many many years ago. It has been around for a very long time.

    I think you should still be ok to take your laptop and camera as carry on. It is only supposed to be if you are coming out of 6 countries and a total of 10 airports that they are putting this into effect. Greece isn't on the list. Plus it is only if your are coming out of one of those airports going to the U.S.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the UK too and there is talk of more restrictions to come. Might be a great reason to leave the laptop at home :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's the U.K too but again only flights coming OUT of those 6 countries, 10 airports.

      Delete
    3. There is talk already of it being extended to other countries - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/26/laptop-ban-minister-refuses-rule-extending-worldwide/

      Delete
  5. Running a business has its own problems. Hope, you will be fine while on vacation. Heard about the carry on restriction. Who want to take risk with laptop in the missing baggage? I won't do that. Buddy is looking happy along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, self-employment does come with it's own set of issues.

      Delete
  6. Great photo of you with Buddy. He's a handsome boy. Love the market shot of those red peppers too. Before we moved from PA, we had planted some asparagus that someone gave us. It takes a couple of years to propagate. I wonder if the new homeowners kept it in the garden? If they did, they probably have a good crop by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about growing asparagus but without a regular garden, just growing boxes it is more difficult. I guess they really don't like direct sun. For now I think I will just buy it when it is cheap.

      Delete
  7. That's a nice picture of you and Buddy. Know what you mean about having your photo taken too though - I tend to lean back and end up looking like I have more chins than the Hong Kong phone book. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I rarely am photographed well, not very photogenic :)

      Delete
  8. I miss tulips and daffodils.

    It is getting to the point where travel is going to be difficult what with people bombing airports and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but I won't stop traveling. It is my "thing". I went to Egypt right after a separatist group (what they called these people before Isis) killed a bunch of tourists at a monument called Hatchepsut near Luxor. We went the June afterwards and had armed guards every where we went. They cannot stop travelers. They were trying to kill Egypts economy in that attempt, instead two opposing parties ordered a ceasefire and things got better in Egypt

      Delete
  9. We had asparagus growing wild in our back yard when i was growing up - my dad couldn't cut the grass there until we'd eaten all the asparagus! I've decided to just take a carry-on suitcase on my birthday trip. I hate lugging a big case around plus being able to skip the luggage carousel is a major motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind the luggage carousel's in Victoria are tiny! But yes, I think we are traveling with carry on only more and more and on your return the carousel is likely much bigger

      Delete