Friday, February 24, 2017

Two Years

Age 3 months - the week we brought him home

So we have spent two years with Buddy now and what a great dog he turned out to be.  He brings us joy every single day and is always up for playing or going for a walk.


Age 3 months

He is however a toy killer and all his stuffies have been quickly executed....his toys now are a whole bunch of squeaky balls.  I still have that original lambchop stuffy above, as confiscated it as he would have shredded it otherwise.

Age 6 months

Age 6 months
 Up until about a year he could scoot under our bed, he is now far to big for that.

Ucluelet - age 1.5 years



First kayak trip - age 1.5 years


Buddy loves the beach - all the smells, sounds and sights,  He even loves wading but is still too chicken to swim properly which is strange since poodles are supposed to be water dogs.


He is not keen on his weekly baths but puts up with it.


Originally we were not going to let him sleep with us.  We were firm on that for 6 months.  Until he could jump on our really high bed, then it was no longer up to us.  He is small but still a bed hog.


He enjoys the snow - except for this winter as 3 feet is much too much snow for his height.


He detests rain, much prefers lounging around to going out in it.





It is sometimes difficult to take pictures of a black dog with black eyes so often I have to lighten pictures just so we can see him.  This is what he looks like fresh from the groomers.

Age 2 years and 3 months


We waited a long time to have a dog, primarily due to busy schedules and working out of the house for 10-12 hours a day.  Hubby is also allergic so that really limited our options.  Frankly, up until now I was a cat person as had cats my whole life until I met hubby and even then my Mom took over my senior kitty care just so we could get married as he would have been miserable health-wise.  When we started our own company the opportunity came for a dog and Buddy is everything we hoped him to be.

He was extremely ill last weekend, he actually scared us as has never been that sick.  He likely ate something in the yard (one of his few downfalls) and nothing would stay in him.  Finally after lots of love, attention and cooked chicken with broth he is back to 100%.  Every time we were going to take him to the vet he perked up a little more, apparently he doesn't like going to the vet.  He is my constant companion, always has to be with one of us and follows us from room to room.  When we leave the house he gives us the evil eye but patiently waits until we return then acts like we left for two weeks.  I can't believe it's only been two years that he has been with us as he is such a huge part of our life.  So glad you came into our life Buddy!


40 comments:

  1. What a great guy! Pets are such a special addition to a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, far more spoiled (but less rotten) than the kids ever were

      Delete
  2. I can't believe it's been 2 whole years! lol
    I had a miniature black poodle growing up. They are great dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, I always thought they were foo foo yappy dogs. Not nearly as barky as I thought plus incredible companion dogs.

      Delete
  3. He is a cutie. I am a dog person and love having one around the house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such good company, we both love him to bits.

      Delete
  4. So cute, and I did not know that poodles were supposed to be water dogs. Our lab doesn't like water either and he should love to swim! He was sick most of the past month and had overnight stays at three different animal hospitals. Hoping he will be okay as we wean him off the meds. Glad that your guy is doing better, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your Lab, hope he gets better soon! We were going to go to the emergency vet on Sunday (no 24 hour hospital but all clinics have 24 hour line and in emergency one of the clinics calls in a vet to meet you at 2x the cost) but he got a tiny bit better and was not deydrated, we checked so just let time run its course. So glad he got better so fast.

      Delete
  5. Adorable Buddy! He is such a great companion.

    You shared some wonderful pictures of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He turned out to be such a charmer, has us wrapped around his paw.

      Delete
  6. Loved this post! It made me smile and I really needed that today. Dogs are the best companions and Buddy is adorable. I'm so glad he brings you joy every day. Happy 2 years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy is excellent at cheering us up, sending puppy hugs your way

      Delete
  7. What a cutie! He sounds like a great addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed seeing the pictures through the years. Like you, our cat went to my mother and they became inseparable companions. It's so great when that happens. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cat already loved my Mom as for a brief period of time we lived together when we were both short on housing and so they bonded. My cat lived until a very spoiled age 22 (was 19 when she went to live with Mom) plus I got to see her lots

      Delete
  9. Grew up to be such a beautiful boy.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that illness passed! He is adorable. It makes me happy just to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is definitely a huge source of happiness for us, if we are angry/sad he is a pick me up

      Delete
  11. Happy two year anniversary with Buddy! He looks like he is a pleasure to have, so happy that he is such a good dog. He is a very lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky he turned out to be a great dog, I was a little bit afraid since we work from home on teleconferencing but he is generally a good dog and we have some tricks :)

      Delete
  12. Two years! That's flown by. Buddy gets cuter as the month's pass. Like you I'm a cat person but I don't blame you for falling for that little chap. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is higher maintenance but far more attached to us than any cat I've had

      Delete
  13. You chose a winner for sure! Companionship is what one wants in a dog; cats are a bit different and I've had one or two that weren't very cuddly. The two we have now are very affectionate and one sleeps with me every night. I just couldn't have a home without pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my cats were sort of cuddly but only on their own terms. I never had any small dogs before, he is like a kid more than a dog, even likes to be picked up

      Delete
  14. While we were petsitting in Port Alberni our little doggy would climb up on the bed and cuddle between us. Kinda funny as we would ordinarily never have a pet on the bed. We used to have a very large cat of 23 lbs and he would stretch out between us and hog a lot of room. No bed sharing here while dog sitting a borzoi, she has the bed in the master bedroon and we are in the guest room. Apparently it snowed in Langley yesterday but was sunny and bright here in South Surrey. We are so done with winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow that was a big cat!! It snowed here about an inch yesterday too, still on the ground but no shoveling as it was warm enough to heat the pavement up and keep the snow melted there when it fell. I truly hope that is the last of it!

      Delete
  15. Best thing to do in that situation is with hold food for 24 hours then add plain white rice, tablespoon every 2 -3 hours then start to add a bit of boiled chicken if the rice stays down. Gradually increase the amount of the mix. In a few days if all is well then you can reintroduce his regular food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you the whole time I was giving him broth but he went from throwing up to being ravenously hungry :) so I gave him a little boiled chicken breast and that seemed to stay down. He's young so bounced back fast!

      Delete
  16. What a cutie! Glad to hear he is feeling better. It's so difficult when a fur baby isn't well since they cannot tell us what is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and he is normally exuberant so really sad when he is lethargic.

      Delete
  17. I have to admit I was a bit holier than though about the sister-in law's dog but now we let our little ones do many, although not all, of the same things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is hard sometimes to say no to their little faces. I am the disciplinarian and hubby lets Buddy get away with murder...you know, the normal kind of family life lol

      Delete
  18. I am so glad your Buddy is doing well again. It always scared me when my fur babies are not feeling well. I have lost far too many of them to illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and the worst is that they can't tell you what hurts, he just shakes and looks at me like I am supposed to fix it.

      Delete
  19. Buddy is so adorable. You are lucky to have him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the best dog, I know we are so lucky :)

      Delete