Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Test

The tantalizing test ornament right by Frosty's arm

-The house is decorated - I finished on Sunday.  The fake tree was put up Friday as a test to get Buddy used to it before I fully decorated it.  Exactly one ornament, a stocking with a bell was placed at the bottom to entice Buddy.  He sniffed and licked it then backed away when I told him no.  He passed the test with flying colors.   The tree is now jam-packed with glass ornaments and I have no worries that he will be trying to eat any of them.  We never leave Buddy with the full roam of the house unless we are home, he has use of the kitchen and utility room when we go out so there is no chance of destruction when we are gone either.  He is a good dog and seems to know what his toys are and not to destroy our stuff, we are very very fortunate that way.  Gifts under the tree will be another test but one that won't happen for a few weeks until there is a wrapping session.  No pictures of the decorated tree until just before Christmas, I don't want to over-post about Christmas just because I like decorating as many don't share the feeling.

- We had signed up for a free 30 day trial at the end of October for some software that is critical for a project we are working on in our company.  My plan was to let the trial expire hoping they would send us a discount email to purchase the program as it was $360.  Instead what happened was Cyber Monday exactly coincided with the end date of the free trial.  They put the software on sale and we saved $110.  Yes, the company saved the money but since we own the company it was just more money we have to pay ourselves with.

-I purchased one item on Black Friday online, something I could not buy locally (I tried).  Hubby is difficult to buy for and hopefully the item I bought will make him happy.  It made me happy with 30% off.

-Hubby returned from New Brunswick in one piece on time.  Unfortunately Scare Canada (try and use other airlines if traveling within Canada, we had no choice on this trip) lost his luggage for 24 hours.  We were fortunate he lost it coming home versus going since he wore a nice suit for my Stepson's Canadian Armed Forces Graduation.

-Speaking of my Stepson, he is now officially part of a Tank crew.  He was recognized and received a special award for being the best Tank driver in his Platoon.  All those years of playing video games paid off.  He is now being stationed back in Edmonton and will likely be assisting refugees on the army base when they first come to Canada if and when that operation begins in the next few weeks.

-I received some horrible news last night that is weighing heavily on my mind.  An old friend from high school that I have not seen in 28 years but connected with a few months ago on Facebook took his own life yesterday.  This season is terribly difficult on those who are dealing with mental health issues. He was an extremely popular person back in the day, one of those amazing people inside and out.  Life had been much harder for him recently as one year ago he got married and six months later his marriage crumbled.  The world has one less beautiful human being in it now.

22 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your friend. I know from experience how hard these things hit us. I've decided to live my life well to honour those I have lost. I'm glad you are decorating up a storm and making things beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we weren't close but it is still kind of shocking and so sad. I am glad the decorating part is done, it is nice even on our busiest days to sit back at the end of the day and enjoy the lights.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Jay my blogger buddy is gone too.
    Congrats to your stepson and hopefully he will not be deployed in any war torn region anytime soon. Gotta keep Edmonton safe, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember your post about Jay, so sad. I am hoping he doesn't get deployed but with the crap going on in the world I wouldn't doubt that we will be at some point in this 3 year contract. He almost has completed year 1 so 2 more to go.

      Delete
  3. Your a lot father then me. I got a few up and one gift wrap that to be ship out.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to get the cards done and sent off to the USA on Saturday, just have the Canadian ones left. It never ends!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. This is a hard time of year especially when the hardest thing some people can do is to just continue to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Difficult to understand sometimes but a harsh reality.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your friend.This season with all the focus on family is horrible for those recently bereaved or unhappy, that's why I loathe it. An acquaintance of ours took his own life at this time last year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad - it just makes you look around at your other friends a little differently like "what are you hiding?"

      Delete
  6. You're right about this season being especially hard on people. I went to a funeral on Tuesday for the 43 year old son of a teaching colleague. He killed himself and had severe mental health concerns. He had many friends and a large supportive family who miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hardest on those left behind. The family is not having a funeral, so shocking for them right now. They have decided on a Spring celebration of life instead.

      Delete
  7. That's so sad. I know the season can be stressful for the best of us. I love Christmas decorations. Mine are up so we can enjoy them between all of our travelling trips. For the first time I plan to do some decorating at the cabin since we will be there until Christmas Eve. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having them up for a full month - then January 1 I pack every bit of it away. It is a chore I generally do in my PJs :)

      Delete
  8. Well done Buddy! Looking forward to your Christmas photos. Sorry about your friend, it is always sad when someone you know takes their own life. You feel empty inside and wonder if you could have done something to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy is doing so well, wrapped a couple gifts and he tasted a bow until I caught him. Nothing since :)

      Delete
  9. Buddy is such a good dog to resist all that temptation. I actually think cats are more of a worry with Christmas trees. I have two small pre-lit trees up that I purchased over the summer. Thought about putting them out front but worry that bugs will move in. There's also been a string of outside decoration robberies. Oh the holiday season brings bad stuff like that and it's also hard on people who battle depression or who've lost a loved one. My mom died Dec 8, thirteen years ago. I worked with someone who took their own life and it was very difficult to understand why he did it and I always wondered what me or anyone else could have been done to prevent it. So tragic. Left a beautiful family behind. I'm so sorry about your friend. And you had just reconnected. That's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who the heck would rob outside decorations - that is so nasty! We have had a lot of family tragedy in December including losing hubby's dad a few years ago to Cancer. He went into a coma on Dec 23 and died on the 26th just a few hours into the morning. We all felt like he held on so he wouldn't die on Christmas and have us remember that always.

      Delete
  10. Buddy is a good dog and he is adorable. Now if you could only train my cat. He's a monster. He broke the ice maker on the frig door by hanging on it. He isn't even allowed in the kitchen. He watched us and then learned how to push it in to get an ice cube so he could chase it on the tile floor. UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I am that great of a trainer, he just seems pretty respectful of our stuff (it might be I have a loud voice?). Poodles are pretty smart although he still knaws on our hands when we try and pet him, wish we could get rid of that habit. Not hard but just annoying. That plus jumping all over anyone who comes to the door. Perhaps your cats and my dog should meet :)

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry about your friend. Big hugs coming your way (virtually)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was just so weird. It does seem to have pulled together the rest of our class who seem to be supporting one another. Another member of our class is dying of MS and is in the hospital and many have visited him in the days since.

      Delete