One of the top read posts on my blog was:
How to Reduce Your Grocery Bill
If for any reason you haven't read it you should - please ensure to read the comments left by readers as well for even more money saving ideas.
I started thinking about my favorite large family gathering meals of the past and hope readers feel free to contribute their favorite large family meals (including recipes if you want) in the comments.
We do have a big family when we get together as I have four stepkids making us a family of six. When we gather as a group we usually have one or both of our Mothers present making it eight. Some of the best family meals we have are:
1. Homemade chili and cheese toast. Chili is relatively inexpensive to make and appreciated by all.
2. Turkey, mashed potatoes, corn (usually use frozen), homemade stuffing and gravy. I do not make my gravy from scratch as it never tastes that good. I use the little packets you buy from the store and add water. These usually go on sale at Christmas and Thanksgiving for around 75 cents each so I buy a whole bunch. We don't necessarily reserve turkey meals for holidays as I buy grade B Turkey that can usually be found for less than .99 cents per pound. I always have one in the freezer on backup and they can last up to a year in the freezer.
3. Homemade spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, and salad. We throw lots of veggies in our sauce like peppers, onions, tomatoes, celery, and even sometimes corn depending on what is wilty in the fridge/freezer.
4. Roasted chicken legs, a side (can be rice/pasta/potatoes) and salad
5. Crock Pot Stew served with homemade biscuits or store bought buns depending on time/energy.
Root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic are cheap, and present at almost every meal we eat so a mandatory staple at our house. Due to the high usage of these items I tend to buy in large quantity as most of these can be stored in cooler temperatures for months. Chicken legs are one of the cheapest meat item I can buy so when I find a deal I stock up. We are still eating chicken legs from a great deal several months ago.
So, readers, what is your favorite go to large family meal? Please share.