Sunday, May 26, 2013

Yard Sales!

Saturday morning we got up bright and early, headed to Tim Hortons for coffee (used Gift card given to me by the kids for Mother's Day) and went yard saling.  It didn't look very promising as was pouring rain as we headed out the door.  By the time we retrieved the coffee it was letting up and it ended up being a really nice day.  There were lots of block/neighborhood garage sales so we parked and did a lot of walking.  I never feel guilty after shopping on driveways - the prices are so right.  This is the first time hubby has ever asked to come along - for several hours worth.  Usually one or two and he is ready to quit.  I think he has the bug. 

This is a very pretty original watercolor painting that is 3 ft by 2.5 ft wide.  It was professionally framed although the framing is starting to get a bit dated.  My Mom needs some new art for her condo so we emailed her a picture and she said she liked it.  For $15 I have a nice housewarming gift. 



A brand new looking - not a scratch on it Coach leather Satchel purse for $10.  I already have a Coach purse - black - that hubby bought me several years ago for my birthday.  I use it on special occasions as it is dressy. I will likely resell this one at a flea market as expect I could get at least $40-60 for it.  New they sold for $125-$200.  


Halloween decorations was one area that we downsized during the move.  I do Christmas, hubby does Halloween.  We saw this guy who talks and sticks out his tongue for $2 and had to have him.  My stepson finished his first year of college and is coming to visit us in two weeks - I plan on sticking this guy under the covers of the guest bed for fun.  Our family has sick humor like that.

Other goodies we found: vice grip for hubby, a book and two CDs.  Total day spend? $33.  Pretty good for our haul and it was a great day out.

And finally yet another cute little bird eating at our feeders.  The first of his kind I have seen and I am still trying to identify him.  Mom has better birding books and she likely can identify him so will have to ask her.
Have a great weekend - Happy Memorial Day Weekend to  my fellow Americans (I am a dual American/Canadian Citizen).  Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Nice finds! I can't wait to go yard saling again.
    That sweet little bird is so beautiful. What a great shot! I'm curious to see what kind of birds will be in my Alabama backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be killing you not to yard sale. Soon enough. You will have to be sure to post some pictures of your new area!

      Delete
  2. Great hunting! Isn't it fun to find the things you need or even want, at a fraction of the price? We have so much fun shopping for treasures. Love the painting. I'm sure your mom will love it in her new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love garage sales. I am taking the painting this week to show her in person. She is anxious to sell so she can get moved.

      Delete
  3. Glad you found some things, it's a big disappointment when your hopes are high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have so much fun looking too - even if I don't find much.

      Delete
  4. Is that bird a male House Finch? The ones I've seen here in New Mexico look like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No more shopping for me for a while. We are getting ready for an estate sale for some of Mom's things we don't have room for now that we are consolidating two condos into one. But since we live in a condo we have to wait to get permission from the Board. One down side to communal living. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is the tough part of condo living. Good luck with the purging.

      Delete
  6. I would say the bird is a house finch. The bird book I would recommend is the National Geographic one. It has good illustrations and regional maps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would agree, a male House Finch.

    ReplyDelete